SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got my S70 up and running after getting a new head on it.

While the head was off, I had new valve stem seals installed and purchased all new lifters. Prior to the new head being installed there was some lifter tick that started off as just a minor tick and as time went on it became louder.

I've been driving the car around for a few days now and everything seems to be running fine except that there is still some lifter tick. It's a lot quieter than before but it's still there. These are brand new lifters, I've put about 50 miles on the car already. I'm running 10W30 for oil. How long does it take for the lifters to pump up?

I've heard the fuel injectors in these cars can be really loud as well, would that be a possibility? The noise is coming from the same area as before (cylinder 2).

I appreciate any help

·
Registered
16,560 Posts
Injectors are a light hammering but quieter than lifters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
833 Posts
A wrist pin or crank bearing comes to mind. Did they confirm good oil pressure at the block? Same noise, same cyl observed after the new head install? Take it back to the shop that did the work and seek advice.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A wrist pin or crank bearing comes to mind. Did they confirm good oil pressure at the block? Same noise, same cyl observed after the new head install? Take it back to the shop that did the work and seek advice.
I did the work, haven't checked oil pressure yet. But it's definitely not bottom end noise.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I never receive notifications but anyway that is a smooth idle. Some thoughts.

You running good pump gas?

Did you confirm a flat head surface when it was off, at the block and at the head? It does not sound like it’s sucking air but pretty short video. Do you have a boost gauge installed? got steady vacuum at idle?

No loss of coolant in the overflow? No bubbles?

Has the motor ever recently been starved of oil? You said you replaced the pan seals at the pickup. Were you getting an oil press idiot light?

Does the sound greatly reduce with a consistent off idle speed like 2K or is it the same?

Possible exh man cracked and disguising the noise?

Is the eng temp gauge rock solid even once the fan kicks on?

Anything shiny in the oil?

Get a fitting to thread into the oil press sw and connect a gauge to confirm steady pressure with linear increases given throttle input.

Put a very long screwdriver to each cyl and injector and the other end to your ear. Check for anomalies or is it the same noise across all cyls and injectors.

Throwing any codes?

How is the exhaust stream from tailpipe? Chatty or smooth and linear?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I never receive notifications but anyway that is a smooth idle. Some thoughts.

You running good pump gas?
Always ran premium through it

Did you confirm a flat head surface when it was off, at the block and at the head? It does not sound like it’s sucking air but pretty short video. Do you have a boost gauge installed? got steady vacuum at idle?
I took the head to a machine shop to have them check the head, it was milled. I checked flatness at the block and everything looked good. I do have a boost gauge, vacuum is steady at idle 20 in hg

No loss of coolant in the overflow? No bubbles?
No coolant loss and no bubbles, I've done a flush on it 3 times already to make sure ti was clean and nothing was in the coolant passages

Has the motor ever recently been starved of oil? You said you replaced the pan seals at the pickup. Were you getting an oil press idiot light?
It's never been ran low on oil, never had the oil pressure light come on but I did have a leak from a botched reseal job the previous shop did when the previous owner had it.

Does the sound greatly reduce with a consistent off idle speed like 2K or is it the same?
The sound is always there it never gets louder though, it does get quieter once its warmed up but the sound is always there.

Possible exh man cracked and disguising the noise?
I checked all the exhaust bolts and had my hand back there could feel or hear a leak, so possibly?

Is the eng temp gauge rock solid even once the fan kicks on?
Engine temp is solid, needle stays at the 2pm position, when I checked on my scan tool temp was from 190-195

Anything shiny in the oil?
Nothing shiny in the oil

Get a fitting to thread into the oil press sw and connect a gauge to confirm steady pressure with linear increases given throttle input.
Having a reputable shop here in MD take a look at it tomorrow and go from there

Put a very long screwdriver to each cyl and injector and the other end to your ear. Check for anomalies or is it the same noise across all cyls and injectors.
I tried using a mechanics stethoscope but it was hard to trace the exhaust sound and the location

Throwing any codes?
No codes being thrown

How is the exhaust stream from tailpipe? Chatty or smooth and linear?
No white smoke, no sweet smell, exhaust is smooth and hold idle well

I'm stumped, I thought it could be the oil pump going bad but it doesn't seem to fail very often. Or possibly one of the oil sump O rings came loose, I dont know. The lifter tick started in November of last year on a really cold night if that matters. I ended up buy new lifters to drop in and picked some NA cams since i'd be in there.

Long story short, I ended up breaking one of the came bearing journals and had to replace the head. So now everything is back together and the engine still has the same lifter tick as it did back in November, with a different head, cams and new lifters installed.

I appreciate any help you guys can provide.

·
Registered
833 Posts
This is very unusual but since the same noise is present with a different head, well, that confirms to me a bottom end issue unless the exhaust manifold or turbocharger are cracked. Good luck at your shop stop. Check the actual oil press. Fingers crossed for you.

It’s definitely not drive belts or timing belt noise.

I have never seen a healthy p80 with its temp gauge north of 3:00 even idling for days in a hot garage with no shop fan so 2:00 smells like a problem.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I don’t know if the oil pump can clear removal while in the engine bay once you get the crank pulley and balancer off. But that could still be your issue given the results of the press test. Good luck friend.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Outside the box...I’m not too familiar with the knock sensors on the p80 but is it possible, if one or both are malfunctioning or have an electrical short, to send false data points to the ecm to retard the timing or........nah, I think that theory is blown in this case. Thought I’d write it down though for someone to chew on.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is very unusual but since the same noise is present with a different head, well, that confirms to me a bottom end issue unless the exhaust manifold or turbocharger are cracked. Good luck at your shop stop. Check the actual oil press. Fingers crossed for you.

It’s definitely not drive belts or timing belt noise.

I have never seen a healthy p80 with its temp gauge north of 3:00 even idling for days in a hot garage with no shop fan so 2:00 smells like a problem.
Sorry i meant 3 o’clock position lol. We’ll see what they say tomorrow. Noticed today when i checked the oil there were some air bubbles on it. Still hoping it’s nothing bottom

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well looks like the cam cover has to come off.

I'll re-check all the oil ports in the head and cam cover and go from there. If it persists I'll re-do the oil pan O rings.

Not sure what else to check after that.

·
Registered
637 Posts
It's hard to tell from the video but it sounds like injectors to me, if a lifter is stuck or takes a while to pump up it will make a very sharp tapping sound and I'm not hearing that in your video at all.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Why not confirm oil pressure, Herbert?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why not confirm oil pressure, Herbert?
I'm about to pick it up from the shop, I'll confirm if they checked oil pressure or not. This was just a quick run down of what the tech told me. He doesn't think it's bottom end noise so at least there's that.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don’t know if the oil pump can clear removal while in the engine bay once you get the crank pulley and balancer off. But that could still be your issue given the results of the press test. Good luck friend.
I've had the oil pump off before to replace the seals, it'll come off while it's still in the car. I'll see if they checked oil pressure. Luckily it's not too hard of a job to get it off, just not a cheap part.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's hard to tell from the video but it sounds like injectors to me, if a lifter is stuck or takes a while to pump up it will make a very sharp tapping sound and I'm not hearing that in your video at all.
I was actually going to move the injectors around and see if the noise follows the injectors.

Injectors were used so this could be a possibility just didnt realize they could be this loud if they are the issue

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well after 2 sets of lifters being swapped in, doing the oil pan sump rings 2x, changing the oil pump 2x, checking all the oil passages. Pretty much determined its either a bent rod, spun rod bearing or some other bottom end noise. Either way I ended up picking up a B5244T5 out of an 07 S60T5. The previous owner installed ARP head studs and had the block shimmed, just need to replace a few seals on it, clean it up a bit and pick up a clutch kit and get it dropped in.

Also picked up an 07 XC70 to replace my XC90 that's heading to Florida to my gf's parents. They're aware the AWD doesn't work and are perfectly fine without down there. Hopefully they enjoy it as much as I did for the short time I did have it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1998 V70 T5 with factory m56h; 18t, Green injectors, 50% e85
2,418 Posts
Engine score. Congrats.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts