SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just realized that I never put up a post about my dear Swedish meatball on this forum. I figured that I can provide some laughs and information for many of you that browse the forum!

To start, I never really considered a Volvo as a vehicle. I've always rocked some sort of a sportier vehicle or some old school (sort of) muscle car for my daily. Coming from GM, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Mitsubishi, Honda, and Nissan, these Volvos never really came up on the radar... except for that one guy who made an S80 cool back in the day.

Then life hits you like a ton of sh*t and you have to think about something other than yourself (and/or your wife :) ).

Fast forward through a business and back into regular life and you get this. A 2002 Volvo V70 XC with 200,000 miles.

This is basically a combination of my former and current self rolled into one strange amalgam of a vehicle!

After working on cars for 5 years commercially and about 16 personally, I couldn't shake the urge to customize and make the vehicle my own.

Mods:
Hilton Stage I tune
Bad Swede Lift springs with camber bolts
V70R Pegs - Rattle can painted with some siiiiick advance auto parts wheel paint
Maxxis 225/65 R17 28.5" tires
20/25% tint on the windows
Magnefine transmission filter

I may chronicle some of my repair adventures if I have some time because these all seem to suffer from the same ills most of the time. My primary goal would be to hopefully give people some confidence and advice on performing some of the work on these cars without the fear of the unknown.

Oh, and in case people were wondering about the parts that have been replaced over the past few years and 50k miles of ownership:
Engine mounts - all of them - 175?
Brake pads, rotors, and hoses - 300
Radiator fan - 120
Front axles (my fault) - 75 each - rebuilt
IPD HD Front Control arms - 360
Struts - all of them - 450
Air filter - 10
cabin filter x2 - 15 ea
Transmission fluid x2 - 100 ea

Next up is the timing belt, water pump, and PCV service (I'm going to try to do this as cheap as possible. I am NOT spending 200 on a new PCV hose!

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Probably only need the upper hose and can. IIRC JRL has the PN for a way cheaper 6 cylinder PCV hose that just need a little modification to be the same as the 5T super expensive one.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm glad you mentioned that because I did see that thread somewhere, but I didn't look too hard for the part. From what I could gather from my peeps at Volvo is that the banjo clogs pretty hard and the return at the bottom of the box jams up too. I'm pretty sure I'm just going to replace the nylon line with some other hose as well. I may also be able to hunt down some nylon line, if I'm feeling froggy, to heat up and put back on. I have to do the sme repair on our V70R too. They are both sucking pretty hard. I believe stealthy also found a check valve replacement for the other degrading rubber lines too.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Fantastic looking XC! I'd rock that anyday.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
, and PCV service (I'm going to try to do this as cheap as possible. I am NOT spending 200 on a new PCV hose!
I am still sitting on the one that came out of my car. It is about as clean as a previously installed setup can be. You can PM me and pay shipping whatever that will be.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Locked in! What's in the works as far as upcoming mods, accessories, additions etc? Since my build is stalled due to...well, life, I'd love to see other people doing cool stuff with theirs...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thaxman - I'll keep that in mind. I'll probably be tearing into my XC and the R tomorrow. If something goes terribly wrong, I'll give you a shout!

Young Satchel - Haha, I feel you there! I have to deal with the same stuff coming up. Now that the little one is, well, not so little and running around it's a blessing and a curse!

What I'm thinking now is that I need to do the second timing belt. I'm on about 95k on this one. The next will be to get the PCV squared away. After that I'll be aiming towards lighting beacuse I have a broken fog lamp, possibly refinishing these wheels (I have reservations about doing it because I like being able to not care about how these look), a 41" CREE light bar on the roof, and finally a body lift and some larger tires (again). These things are so incredibly cheap to get parts and parts cars for these days, so who knows, I may have a couple parts cars hanging around.

I really want to get into some custom fab on the suspension at some point in time. I just have to get myself a better place to do the work and it will be OK. I'm thinking (pipe dreams here, you were warned) that I want to do some sort of a lengthened control arm setup in the front and rear. I really have to look into the geometry and design of the suspension before I get into that, but it would be awesome to have a proper lift on these cars. That's a lot of work and who knows if I'll ever get there, but dreams are where it all starts!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Nice lift!

I've reused the pcv hoses most of the time if they aren't too brittle. There is a silly white one that goes to the bango bolt that always cracks. I've replaced it with with regular rubber hose from parts store (just bring in the coupler fitting so they can size it). The rest i reuse after a good cleaning with coat hanger wire, air compressor, and dish liquid... something like ether or acetone may work better (there will be some nasty goop in there).

minimalist pcv job is

oil trap, intake gasket,that rubber hose and maybe a hose clamp or two, i usually reuse the original ones

and yes the most important thing is you clear the drain to the oil pan, there is like two bends you have to to past before you hit the sump, i ended up with something like a long coat hanger wire screw that i screwed in and out of that hole several times until there was no more crumbs

that banjo bolt is a baster tightening up, once i had tilted the alternator out of the way just to get it on there straight

one more thing, the intake bolt next to thermostat is fun too, requires some swivels with a lot of extension, luckily they dont need too much torque, and the bottom ones dont need to come out until you need to install the new gasket

it will just clear the thermostat when you use an open-end on it

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
looks great! need more pics of your ride for sure. how long have you had the tune? what PSI is it? feel a decent difference in pick-up or overtaking on the highway even with the tires? I am thinking about doing that to mine now that Stage 0 is complete. how do you like the lifted springs?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
looks great! need more pics of your ride for sure. how long have you had the tune? what PSI is it? feel a decent difference in pick-up or overtaking on the highway even with the tires? I am thinking about doing that to mine now that Stage 0 is complete. how do you like the lifted springs?
I'll try to get some good actions shots. I've had a hell of a summer so far. Been busy with my own cars as well as customer cars, but it's funding my hobby.. er, addiction, sooooo...

I've had the tune on since late summer. Probably about 2 months now. Feels like there is more power all around, especially low end. The tires spin a lot easier even with the big meats on there! I would say the car is pretty well rounded out now. I mad add a transmission cooler onto the car at some point, but I would imagine that would be part of an intercooler and radiator upgrade when they fail. I can't complain for a car that has 200k miles on it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts