SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Lift Points?

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  quick 
#1 ·
Does any one know the correct lift points for the S40? I have access to a lift and want to do my own oil change and tire rotation. I can't seem to find the correct lift points to place the arms of the lift under. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
Re: Lift Points? (c0mr8d3)

The safest lift points are the jacking locations, described in the owner's manual. There are some other alternatives, depending on what kind of job you need to do, but I'd go with safe.

Tom.

#5 ·
Re: Lift Points? (VolvoMax)

Thanks, I wasn't too sure about the rear wheels because right in front of it, it is plastic and I can push on it with my hand, I didn't even want to try to see what happens when I try to use the lift. On my other cars I've had before, there were points that were defined so you would know where to put the lift pads, don't see them here.

#6 ·
Re: Lift Points? (c0mr8d3)

Quote, originally posted by c0mr8d3 »
Thanks, I wasn't too sure about the rear wheels because right in front of it, it is plastic and I can push on it with my hand, I didn't even want to try to see what happens when I try to use the lift. On my other cars I've had before, there were points that were defined so you would know where to put the lift pads, don't see them here.

They are there - having had several flats already, I can assure you they are.

I've said it before... RYOM (Read Your Owners Manual), it states:

Quote, originally posted by S40 Owners Manual »

6. There are two jack attachment points on each side of the car. Position the jack correctly in the attachment (see illustration above) and crank while simultaneously guiding the base of the jack to the ground. The base of the jack must be flat on a level, firm, non-slippery surface. Before raising the car, check that the jack is still correctly positioned in the attachment.

HTH
UKMatt

#7 ·
Re: Lift Points? (ukmatt)

It seems like those grooves are designed for the spare tire jack or something similiar in shape. The lifts that I use here have four arms, each with a round rubber pad on the end, kinda like the part of a floor jack that makes contact with the bottom of the vehicle, only wider.

#8 ·
In order to use jack stands you need alternate lift points to the locations where the stock pantograph jack is seated.

I would like an answer myself -- the owner's manual doesn't provide this data like other owner's manuals I've seen.
-Chris

Modified by quick at 3:08 PM 7-13-2006

#10 ·
Re: (quick)

Quote, originally posted by quick »
Folks there is no need to come down on him for the question here. If you do any more work on your car than changing a tire the SAFE thing to do is to use jack stands.

In order to use jack stands you need alternate lift points to the locations where the stock pantograph jack is seated.

These are legit questions. I would like an answer myself -- the owner's manual doesn't provide this data like other owner's manuals I've seen.
-Chris

Who's coming down on him for the question - I don't see anything above that is anything other than an attempt to help him

UKMatt

#11 ·
Re: (ukmatt)

Quote, originally posted by ukmatt »
Who's coming down on him for the question - I don't see anything above that is anything other than an attempt to help him

Whoops -- I misread something badly. That's what I get for posting while in a contentious meeting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.