SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Life of your Volvo?

How long do ya'll presume the R will last if it is maintained properly with minimal mods, and by how long I mean milage?

I am sure many of you have owned other boosted Volvos...what is your take? Aren't Volvo's known to run up to 400K with same turbo/tranny/etc. and maintain reliability?

Thanks

·
Registered
359 Posts
As far as the 5cyl ( the old style pre new s40 ) is a great motor i know and have owned many volvos with over 200k on the original motor as far as the electronics well not so much lol

·
Registered
587 Posts
Re: (97GLTbrick)

My 940 will outlive all the aluminum engine series vehicles, but I would say an R could easily go 300,000+ without major rebuilding if properly maintained. Perhaps longer; I believe there are some 850s running with a half mil on them right now.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Very true the Red motors are almost indestructable i have seen people abuse them and not want to put a heagasket on it casue it blew and had 200k plus miles on it we get them put a lil time in it and they are sold and still going

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I'm expecting my R, which is pretty well tuned, to last anywhere from 125-175k miles until it's just too damned expensive to maintain. Keep in mind, I am willing to go to a much higher price point to keep my car running than most seem to be.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Re: (m3nt0s)

Quote, originally posted by m3nt0s »
I am willing to go to a much higher price point to keep my car running than most seem to be.

+1

My SHO has 170 on the clock and it runs like new. Ask me how many transmissions I have had though.

I'm expecting at least 125 from the R.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Re: (RearWheelPaul)

Quote, originally posted by RearWheelPaul »

In all likelihood, it would.

940s were the best-built and designed Volvos since the 544.

My 960 has tons of little annoyances from window regulators being bad to me about to have the A/C lines replaced (for the second time), but outside of the starter needing to be replaced soon, it runs incredibly strong.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Re: (BeerEngineer)

There are cars out there that will run amazingly, but all of the little things crap out. We still have the hope that a cure for the angle gear could be developed. Sometimes hope is enough

·
Registered
920 Posts
Re: (GiRaff3)

A Volvo's life span is averaged to about 18.5 years. Whether or not these new, computerised ones will follow the suit of the Volvos of old, we'll have to wait and see.

I love my R, and really would only get rid of it for a V70R at this time.

Or an M5..... or S5.... or Porsche, Masterati, or Aston....

Modified by MancUnited1 at 12:22 PM 5-3-2009

·
Registered
245 Posts
I had inherited a 5 sp. manual Lincoln LS which gave me far less problems than my Volvo, and I couldn't wait to get rid of it. This R, though, has a hold on me......spooky.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Wow you had an LS that had less problems than a volvo you got a lucky one then i work at a lincon merc volvo dealer and those LS's are junk we got like 3-4 a day in with seriuos problems lol as long as a volvo is maintained the motor/trans will outlast the car lol

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: (SHOlover)

Quote, originally posted by SHOlover »
My SHO has 170 on the clock and it runs like new. Ask me how many transmissions I have had though.

The 60K valve jobs are fun as well.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Re: (m3nt0s)

Quote, originally posted by m3nt0s »
I'm expecting my R, which is pretty well tuned, to last anywhere from 125-175k miles until it's just too damned expensive to maintain. Keep in mind, I am willing to go to a much higher price point to keep my car running than most seem to be.

If you keep up with the maintenance and you stay true to your last sentence, it should never become cost-prohibitive to own. The truth is, every Volvo hits a "hump" usually around 15 years old and/or around 170K miles where components outside of the engine/tranny will be ready to be replaced. This "hump" usually requires an investment of $6 - $7K, usually not all at once, but in short succession. However, once the hump is passed and necessary things replaced, they're good to go again for a long time. Having a good local mechanic that doesn't charge dealer labor and parts rates WILL 100% make the difference whether you stay with these cars for any real extended length of time or not (beyond 100,000 miles). *Certain* dealers foam at the mouth when you pull in the bay with an older, high mileage Volvo, and will rob you for every dime you have with unnecessary repairs.

Modified by scootss60 at 3:45 PM 5-4-2009

·
Registered
17,009 Posts
00R 200k+
98R 140k
98C 120k

·
Registered
359 Posts
1996 850 NA: 196K on it when it was sold and is still driving around town that was 2 years ago

1997 850 turbo: 156k on it when i parked it and got the R

2004 R: 84k when purchased 2 months ago now 88k

Its really all in the maintnace my boss has a 1997 850 with 305k on it just maintaine them and it will be a great car

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.