SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 2.5t XC90 with 95k miles and was wondering what and when is a good time to get new shocks or struts on this vehicle. I think I have begun to notice the car not being as tight as it once was, like it wants to roll into the next lane rather than make a straight lane change.... if that makes any since. When I turn it kind of wants to do more leaning and not staying tall through the turn as it once did.

I know the suspension in the non R series, which I dont have the R series model, is slightly softer by nature. I really appreciate any advise you can share.

thanks

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
too many variables to give you an answer. are any of the shocks leaking? if so, time to change em. is the suspension all original? have teh bushings in the control arms been changed? How are the ball joints and rubber parts of the suspension? are your tires inflated to the proper pressure?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Tommm and thanks for the reply.

The shocks are all original. I dont see any leakage from the shocks. I havent replaced anything that has to do with brakes or suspension, all original. Except of course it has had new brake pads. I'm havent checked the ball joints or "rubber parts" because I really wouldnt know what to look for. I have ramps so I can go underneath and look though. Your suggestion about tire pressure probably needs to be checked. If the pressure is too low then it will give you that leaning feeling, correct?

Sorry for all the variables but I'm definitly not a professional like some of you guys but I'm trying to get there one day. I really enjoy working on my own car. I replaced all of the following for my first time every, and it was all done this year, so i'm pretty proud of myself (Changed cabin and engine filters, fuel filter, ignition coils, cleaned Mass Air Sensor, oil changes, and last new fuel door hinge)

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Not knowing the specifics of your driving style, around the 90k point you might want to be looking at your control arm bushings and probably considering strut upper spring seats. Some folks do, some don't but the front end seems to get a good workout with the XC90s weight. I had a tear on the rear bushing on both control arms at 85k and replaced them outright (OEM) rather than doing the bushings alone which some folks have done. Drove fine to me but at 110k, I did the seats (used IPD HD seats) and struts, now the vehicle drives nearly as when it was new. Had an alignment at the dealer immediately afterwards so maybe it was a combination of all 3 but I'm pleased with tracking and the solid response when going over bumps. Have a set of rear shocks that I'll put on at some point but don't think it's needed right now (non-nivomat). Tire pressure notwithstanding, there seem to be a few posts on front end wear and tear. Might be sonething to look for...

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
At 90-100k I do a complete suspension overhaul/refresh. Bushings, shocks, springs.

The xc90 is 6000 lbs and front heavy. They wear out bits very differently from other P2 platform Volvos.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have a 2006 2.5t XC90 with 95k miles and was wondering what and when is a good time to get new shocks or struts on this vehicle. I think I have begun to notice the car not being as tight as it once was, like it wants to roll into the next lane rather than make a straight lane change.... if that makes any since. When I turn it kind of wants to do more leaning and not staying tall through the turn as it once did.

I know the suspension in the non R series, which I dont have the R series model, is slightly softer by nature. I really appreciate any advise you can share.

thanks
I had mine replaced in the last extended warranty claim. I have 120,000km on it and it is a 2006. now i don't have to worry for another 120,000km and by that time i will have ditched the car

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you guys for all your awesome input. This is why I love this forum, it's people like us that are the few that care to care for our vehicles and get our moneys worth out of them. Cool stuff.

I have ordered the Volvo DVD, maintainence sheets and all, so I plan on puting the car on the ramps this weekend and taking a look at the following. If it' over my head and I dont feel comfortable doing it myself, I'll have someone do a front end suspension refresh. I plan on keeping the car another 50-60k at least so I want to get it all done and enjoy it. These cars drive great dont they?! Thanks again and I'll report back.

Brett

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
OP:

when i bought my 90 with 143k, I assumed everything to be bad or going to be bad. with that attitude i changed..
*both inner tie rods
*both outer tie rods
*both sway bar end links
*both ball joints
*both control arms
*H & R Lowering Springs
*IPD rear camber bushings
*Transmission torque mount
*upper motor mount
*dumped rear nivomats shocks for regular shocks that comes with the spring kit

This all cost me $1300, $800 of it was the spring kit. with me providing the labor.

$500 to overhaul the front end really tighten things up and makes the 90 drive much nicer.

I sold my 90 with 169,500 and the new owner said even with the high miles, my 90 by far drove the best out of all the cars he tested. thats why he bought it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
OP:

*dumped rear nivomats shocks for regular shocks that comes with the spring kit
Did you mean you just put the new H & R springs on, and just used the regular rear shocks instead?

If I Didn't want to lower the car, I could convert to a non nivomat rear spring?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Did you mean you just put the new H & R springs on, and just used the regular rear shocks instead?

If I Didn't want to lower the car, I could convert to a non nivomat rear spring?
the spring kit includes the rear shocks. the springs are tuned for normal shocks. factory cars with nivomats aka self adjusting/self leveling crap shocks have softer springs. One of my shocks were clunky, on the way out. so a new one is $350, two would cost me $700.. So the math was easy, H and R cost $800 for new springs and new rear shocks.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I just installed new struts, spring seats, control arms, with a fresh alignment and new tires @ 100K on my '06 V8. It wasn't driving bad but it made a huge difference and now drives like new.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
the spring kit includes the rear shocks. the springs are tuned for normal shocks. factory cars with nivomats aka self adjusting/self leveling crap shocks have softer springs. One of my shocks were clunky, on the way out. so a new one is $350, two would cost me $700.. So the math was easy, H and R cost $800 for new springs and new rear shocks.
burg, what brand are the rear shocks? did you do the fronts too? If not, how much did the springs lower the car, and did you need to remove the bump stops in the fronts?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
burg, what brand are the rear shocks? did you do the fronts too? If not, how much did the springs lower the car, and did you need to remove the bump stops in the fronts?
They were the ones included in the kit. Did not remove bump stops. Lower it about 2". Used stock fronts shocks since I had receipts that it was changed recently. Btw, I was able to sell the old rear shocks for $100 too

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
309 Posts

Please define "Kit"

Is this the "kit" you are talking about?

http://thmotorsports.com/i-238767.a...type=pla&kw=&gclid=CNfUyrTc-7MCFcXb4AodOEsAnA

·
Registered
1,075 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Any pictures of the car after the spring swap? Is it noticeably lower? How's the ride? That's too good of a deal to pass up but I don't want to turn the XC90 into a sports car.

·
Registered
309 Posts
YES that kit, wow its cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats cheap, loved how the truck rode after the install. Smoother, handled better. ALOT LESS floaty, went well with my 255/55/18" Nitto NT420s tires!
Whats the story on the included rear shocks? When they go in 60k/80k miles, would the standard non nivomat rear shocks be a direct replacement, or would I have to find/source special rear shocks?

Sorry for the specific questions.. I know my v70/S60.. just not XC90's. Got my first xc90 last month.. so I'm researching/learning what to look for.. because it WILL need something sooner than later.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Whats the story on the included rear shocks? When they go in 60k/80k miles, would the standard non nivomat rear shocks be a direct replacement, or would I have to find/source special rear shocks?

Sorry for the specific questions.. I know my v70/S60.. just not XC90's. Got my first xc90 last month.. so I'm researching/learning what to look for.. because it WILL need something sooner than later.
Should just be a drop-in. The Nivomats are non-electronic and entirely self-contained.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts