SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent license plate frame? Volvo uses a pattern which seems to eliminate most choices? The versions I have found seem to be $25+ and I think that is just too much.

Thanks-

K.

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
What type of frame are you looking for? Bought two from AutoZone of all places for about $10.00 each and they work perfectly. Silver chrome is on the V70 and matches the badges. Gold chrome is on the S70 and matches it's gold badges as well. No writing on them...just plain frames...Nothing flashy.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (MadeInJapan)

It seems like all the Volvo plates have nuts that screw onto bolts instead of screws going into the plate holder like most cars. Just looking for something like that. So those stupid screw caps won't work...

Autozone sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
Yeah, the AutoZone ones had the two top screw holes in a "dip down" design that allowed our set-up to work. Go check them out. Maybe even find them on line on their site before you make a trip down to your local store. Btw, the ones I bought had a plastic cover to put over the actual license plate...I ditched them as I didn't like them, although others' tastes will differ in regards to this.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks I will check those out.

I got some cheapies at the hardware store this weekend ($2.29 each), but the stupid screw caps fell off. I think I am going to hit it on the way home, buy an extra one and use mounting squares to keep the caps on. For all the aggravation, I shoulda just bought the $30 Volvo ones!

License plates as a whole are so outdated, you think manufacturers would figure something else out than these nylon screws!

K.

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
Why are yours nylon? Mine are chromed acorn screws.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I was just saying the usual license plate hardware. I think I have to get some new acorn screws and start over.

K.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: License Plate Frame- (pafox)

Thanks - I think I may go with those. Now I just got to order those acorns or somehow convince my wife that it is important she goes to the dealer to buy these things...

K.

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
cheap anywhere...even the dealer (acorn nuts, that is).

·
Registered
927 Posts
Re: License Plate Frame- (pafox)

Another vote for Goodspeed here... He has really nice frames, plus clear acrylic plate shields that are thin enough to work with the short Volvo studs and are flat (not like those stupid domed and tinted ones from AutoBone).

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
Yeah, that's why I ditched my clears...the frames are fine though and cheap enough.

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
Yep!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts