SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so here goes again. Have already replaced all motor/ tranny mounts, including "puck" mounts. Also replaced clutch and flywheel. Was suggested flywheel was issue. Every time I let out on the clutch not exactly smooth the sound is present. Even if it is in gear in a higher gear at a lower speed and I hit the gas it clunks. XC90 bolts intstalled. Collar sleeve new. Passenger axle new. This is the only video I have as of now.

Any help would be great. I am beyond frustrated. Need any more info just ask.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Is the noise made every time you let off the clutch, it rhythmic like that when the clutch is out?

If rhythmic, is it following wheel speed or engine speed. If wheels speed, I'd inspect your axle and make sure that the center drive line (on the driveshaft) it not magically loose.

If it follows the clutch pedal look at the engine mount on the passenger side just behind the damper. It's quite easy to take out. It would need to look thrashed to make noises like that.

Are you having vibration issues too? Throwing parts at it is expensive.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is not rythmic. No vibration. All mounts are new including that one. It will happen even when not depressing clutch. Even say when I'm in 4th gear at like 20 and I floor it and the car starts to accelerate it will make the noise. It must be something in the driveline.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have the same thing in my '04 S60R. I have replaced mount, and installed anti-ping bolts. Still present. I'm lost too.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Everyone says it's the flywheel. But I replaced that and still there.

·
2,523 Posts
Take out the AWD fuse and see if it still does it

·
Registered
386 Posts
Does anyone know off hand which fuse that would be?

·
Registered
222 Posts
How many miles on these cars w/ clunks? If the mounts are new, clutch/fw problems have been discounted, etc, have you considered the driveshaft and components?

I've encountered this on other cars with high mileage. Replaced a bunch of bad mounts, checked clutch/fw, etc, and what finally solved the clunk on clutch engagement was a rebuilt driveshaft & new CSB. Not sure how common this is on the primarily FWD S60R, though....

·
Registered
861 Posts
Does anyone know off hand which fuse that would be?
Just pull the handbrake one notch and it will disable AWD. Much easier.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will do some more testing when I am back in town with my car. So pulling the e-brake one click is the same thing as pulling the awd fuse?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PS- my car is at 185k. Getting up there in miles but has been meticulously maintained. Any issue that I have come across has been fixed immediately. Car has no issues whatsoever other than this clunk. I am now getting around to getting a bit more hp out of heR.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Disconnecting the AWD would also help check for any driveshaft-related clunks like I suggested.

·
2,523 Posts
I find the one notch thing to be bs. Look in your book for the rear fuse box and find the fuse for AWD, its a 7.5 amps across all model years but different positions in the rear box.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I find the one notch thing to be bs. Look in your book for the rear fuse box and find the fuse for AWD, its a 7.5 amps across all model years but different positions in the rear box.
lol it's not BS....

Pull it one click and go full throttle in 2nd gear. You will light up the front tires.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Disconnecting the AWD would also help check for any driveshaft-related clunks like I suggested.
Not necessarily; the drive shaft is still going to be spinning, and it's momentum alone has the potential to still cause the clank. Although, I suppose it could change the sound of the clank since there would be no load, which would also be revealing...

I'm actually chasing the exact same problem as you right now adsinnott. I was under my car with both front wheels off, and grabbed the brake discs, and rotated them both forward and backward and could replicate the "clank" or "thunk" consistently. Sounded like it was coming from the angle gear case to me. My guess at this point is two things: a) the collar sleeve is worn and the teeth are clanking against each other (which it sounds like you've tried), or b) the backlash on the angle gear is too great, and the teeth are clanking on contact (second seems more likely to me based on the sound).

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Teeth in my ag are completely tight. Even the old collar was fine just decided to do so while I had the tranny out.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Teeth in my ag are completely tight. Even the old collar was fine just decided to do so while I had the tranny out.
Damn. I was hoping I was on to something. The next things down my list were a bad axle or drive shaft, but while I was under there I couldn't find any play so I wrote them off... Not sure what else it could be, short of looking inside the transmission.

I'll drive with the AWD off on the way back from work as well and compare notes.

Glad I'm not alone chasing this, I cannot stand hearing it in between shifts, it makes the car feel and sound so rickety.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It drives my ocd crazy. I will have to diagnose so more when I get back.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I did some driving on my way home: with the emergency brake light on, the clank was no different from with it off. That's not defiinitive, obviously; we'll have to do some testing after pulling the AWD fuse to be sure it doesn't make a difference. That, and the rotational momentum of the drive shaft could potentially cause the problem to persist (if it is, in fact, a problem with the drive shaft).

1 - 20 of 144 Posts