SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TEAM,

Show me your winter set ups.
Having jumped on a V8 XC90, i am out looking for a set of good winter set ups.
I found me a set of NOKIAN Winter Tires in 235/65/17 but now its time to choose a set of wheels.

Have you ever seen any 17" Steel wheels for the XC90?

This is my tire choice.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Your best bet might to find a set of stock Neptune's. Lots of those out there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV on a 2nd set of OEM 18s. This combo is unstoppable. It runs circles around my quattro Audis' with Dunlop wintersport 4Ds.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I've only used nokian snow tires on my audi for the past 11 years, and I'll do the same on the xc90 too. These tires have saved my car and possibly my life more than a few times. I go snowboarding a lot do I'm always driving up and down snowy mountains and they've performed great.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Just received a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 235/40 R 19's for my V60 RD. From all reports they are fantastic tires. I have used Michelin but they do not offer an X Ice in my size. I am going to use my original rims because I have not been able to find a used set of Ixion II's.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I see all these different snow tire tread patterns, but the most important function of a winter tire is that it remains soft in the frigid cold weather. My girlfriend had some dunlap snow tires on her car last winter and they were like bricks in the cold you couldn't bend the tread at all and it showed when stopping in dry or mixed pavement. So just make sure that the tread is rated as a cold weather tread and read reviews because some tires are just bad in cold weather months. I always tell people, if you've got a tire rated at 65k or 80k miles life, they probably won't do well in the winter months because to prevent wear they use a harder rubber. If it'll improve fuel economy, it's probably not an aggressive tread either. So you want a quick wearing, loud, soft monster of a tire.

·
Registered
784 Posts
last week? when do you guys start getting snow/cold weather?

I am in southern ontario and not planning to put it on until 1-2 week of november.
Southern Ontario? Positively tropical compared to South Yorkshire.

:D

I needed the wheels balancing after a few trips this summer and just couldn't be bothered to go through the whole wheels off thing twice within a month or so. Had them put on early to save myself the time and inconvenience. The car's more comfortable for it too. Also, the OEM Pirellis I've taken off haven't worn too well. Not much left on a couple of them.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does anyone know if th 17" wheels fit around the V8 brakes which are 336mm... I have never seen a V8 with 17s tahts why i am asking.

if htey fit then we are all set.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes they do! my 2.5t has the 336mm brakes.
Good to know thank you for the response sounds like I'm going to find a good set of 17s and get some snow tires.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts