SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yes,

I went to Belle tire to get some tires re-balanced, and I saw an older lady drive in with bald and I mean BALD you cant see what kind of tread was on there type of tires probably a good 100k miles on them and a good 10 years it was an older early 2000 beetles.

She bought 2 tires, paid for them and left, and I noticed they went on the real axle.

Now i asked and they told me that apparently when you have more tread on the rear your car wont spin out.

Now when was the last time you saw a FWD car spin out, RWDs Pick ups yes but not because of the tires its because of the axle that applies power and if traction systems are off... well not good news for that driver.

I have gone through some extensive driver training for my job and I understand quite well the traction limits and load transfers but for god sakes, this to me is purely a money scam.

Next time when that poor lady takes a turn on a wet pavement she will under steer:angryfire: and fly off the road but hey she wont spin out.. right spin outs are the worst.

Considering that 90% of the braking, 100% of the acceleration and steering is done at the front axle, why on earth would you want **** tires on there...

During panic braking most of the weight shifts forward so yess less traction at the rear, and less tread well thats not good.

I guess if you are going to sit there and do nothing to avoid a collision its best to have tires in the rear but if you are to attempt to corect you are simply at the mercy of insurance company and hospital bills, maybe even a funeral home.

I think our society has gone banana and we as civilization are doomed!!!

·
Super Moderator
15,200 Posts
I have to agree, dumb!

The idea is that most people freak out when the back end breaks loose but that most people are also smart enough to slow down for a turn. It is easier to handle a car with the rear planted, even on a FWD.

But I personally enjoy sliding the back end out on my oversteer happy FWD C30. I put the meat up front because I need the grip for hard launches and cornering at high speed. It's easy to save a FWD from oversteer, it's not easy to save a FWD from understeer.

I got pretty mad at Kauffman for refusing to mount 2 new tires to the front. I don't go to them anymore...
Just a side thing... I buy tires in pairs. I don't believe in rotation.

My extreme rear camber cones the tires, I don't want to put those coned tires up front! I also don't want to be stuck driving with 4 nearly bad tires. I'd rather have 2 good and 2 decent at all times. It's not cheaper or more expensive to not rotate... You're still spending $xxx amount of money on tires every few years. But my rear tires will last about 40k miles and my fronts last about 15k. I know my driving style and preference does not match everyone's, but I feel safer knowing 2 tires will grip no matter what.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Due to the low standards for drivers in North America, and the tendency of most cars (incl. RWD) to understeer at the limit, it is wise to not introduce oversteer by having bald tires in the rear :)

Tires with low tread depth up front are helped in the acceleration, steering and braking game due to the weight of the engine. The rears do not have this help and are completely reliant on the tread depth/quality.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Having to spin your front tires a bit in order to get going or having some understeering in a corner is a LOT safer than the snap oversteer that having significantly less traction in the rear than the front can cause. Snap oversteer has nothing to due with your driving skills. It happens instantly and is uncontrollable. I wish every tire shop was as responsible as the one you were in.

·
Registered
440 Posts
For most drivers including the OP's little old lady better to induce understeer than oversteer.
Any oversteer and they just panic making it worse.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
15,200 Posts
It happens instantly and is uncontrollable.
I have to disagree with that. If you really know the car and know what you're doing, you can make just about any vehicle oversteer and have complete control over it the entire time; you'd also know how to avoid immediate over steer for safe driving. FWD racers or stunt drivers can tell you, it's all about counter steering and throttle tapping to control a sideways FWD. RWD "drifting" is more about powering over to keep the wheels spinning in a controllable slide.

But you are right, most people freak out with over steer. So it is better to have standard protocol to put the good tires in the back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts