SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dug through the archives but I cannot find the answers I want.

I have found that PartsForVolvosOnline appears to be in better shape than EuroSportTuning, as far as customer service and delivery time, AND price ($120 cheaper through PFVO). I have not found ANY information regarding a stage higher than (I) for the S60R, so until they have an upgrade, I have no chance of adding a downpipe. I know there was an issue with limited boost in 1st and 2nd gear, but that was only for GTs right?

Lastly, I got this email reply from EST:

>>>
Hi Matt,

If you purchase from partsforvolvos then you will most likely have to pay import duty and tax as they are coming from the UK and shipping cost maybe much higher as well. Partsforvolvos is also a part time internet business which does not stock parts like we do. We have the PPC units in stock and shipping time is usually 3 days or less. Let me know if you have any further questions.

>>>

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Re: Lets talk some more BSR (phuz)

Quote, originally posted by phuz »
I dug through the archives but I cannot find the answers I want.

I have found that PartsForVolvosOnline appears to be in better shape than EuroSportTuning, as far as customer service and delivery time, AND price ($120 cheaper through PFVO). I have not found ANY information regarding a stage higher than (I) for the S60R, so until they have an upgrade, I have no chance of adding a downpipe. I know there was an issue with limited boost in 1st and 2nd gear, but that was only for GTs right?

Lastly, I got this email reply from EST:

>>>
Hi Matt,

If you purchase from partsforvolvos then you will most likely have to pay import duty and tax as they are coming from the UK and shipping cost maybe much higher as well. Partsforvolvos is also a part time internet business which does not stock parts like we do. We have the PPC units in stock and shipping time is usually 3 days or less. Let me know if you have any further questions.

>>>

Yes, you are right on all of your points. It is $879 shipped (depends on exchange rate at time of ordering) to the US thru PartsForvolvos and Clive at PFS has always responded to me immediately http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

I've used PartsForVolvos (Jetex exhaust) and there is no import duty and/or added taxes. Delivery was 4 days from the UK. As far as the stocking of the PPC, they (PartsForVolvos) state on their website:

"We always carry large stocks of the BSR PPC's so they can be despatched Worldwide same or next day depending on the time the order is placed and production of the vehicles VIN and ECU number"

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Re: Lets talk some more BSR (IwantaS60R)

BTW, on the downpipe thing, it seems that BSR has been tweaking the software. I periodically check to see if they have an update by connecting the PPC to their support site and lo and behold there was another recent update (this was the first week in June). I last did a PPC update in Feb or March. They have NEVER sent me an email to inform me of an update but I've downloaded at least 3 updates since owning it

With this update, I definitely think they richened the mixture (at the very least changed the fuel maps). Why? Because with previous tunes there was a very distinct smell of sulphur after spirited driving (it would overwhelm me) and with this latest one, there is barely any smell. Of course, this is not confirmed using scientific methods and I'm not saying this is compatible with a downpipe but I just thought I would pass this tidbit along in the spirit of sharing.

P.S. I know Jay (RhaRdeR) will call
on me but that's OK.

·
Registered
231 Posts

Had a good experience with EST, they answered all of my questions in a timely manner and shipped the PPC again in a timely manner. IwantaS60R brings up a good point to check the BSR site for updates I never thought of it.
Graham

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Re: Lets talk some more BSR (GrahamsV70R)

Stay away from partsforvolvosonline.com. I ordered the BSR from them and the customer support is just plain terrible. Also if you pay with a credit card (from the USA) your going to have to pay 50-60.00 us dollars for a conversion fee from sterling to us currency. EST is a local company (talk to Frank) and I have nothing but complete praise for them. I would pay a little more and support a better company and one that is in beautiful Canada. Just my 2c's Rick

Modified by Mash at 10:32 AM 7-7-2006

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Re: Lets talk some more BSR (Mash)

Quote, originally posted by Mash »
Stay away from partsforvolvosonline.com. I ordered the BSR from them and the customer support is just plain terrible. Also if you pay with a credit card (from the USA) your going to have to pay 50-60.00 us dollars for a conversion fee from sterling to us currency. EST is a local company (talk to Frank) and I have nothing but complete praise for them. I would pay a little more and support a better company and one that is in the beautiful USA. Just my 2c's Rick

Not challenging your assertion on PFS or EST but your geography. EST is in Canada

·
Registered
200 Posts

I heard that there were some glitches with the PPC (rough idle, etc..) but can anyone that has it elaborate. Have these been fixed with the latest software upgrade?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Re: Lets talk some more BSR (Reno R)

I was the only one (out of dozens here) that had issues. Rough idle, boost spikes, inconsistant revs between gears. After 2 months they finally took it back. I believe I am the exception. All others have been quite pleased. If you have a manual tranny go for it. I have a GT and 1st and 2nd gear had no change. 3rd on up was like a raped ape. That is why I went with the IPD stage2 no torque limiting. Now I get the raped ape in all gears.

·
Registered
231 Posts

Mash, the stage 2 was that just some extra cash or was there other equipment needed for that, like exhaust ?

·
Registered
322 Posts

Wondering why would there be a conversion fee if paying by credit card. Wouldn't they just charge your cc whatever the local (pounds sterling) price is (like every other overseas deal I've done online elsewhere) and let the cc company deal with the conversion? I'd think the other company would have to do the same thing (canadian dollars) unless they do run the charge up on $USD.

Anyway I'm curious because I also want to buy this thing from somebody.

·
Premium Member
9,303 Posts

Quote, originally posted by IwantaS60R »
I periodically check to see if they have an update by connecting the PPC to their support site and lo and behold there was another recent update (this was the first week in June). I last did a PPC update in Feb or March. They have NEVER sent me an email to inform me of an update but I've downloaded at least 3 updates since owning it

Doesn't BSR tell you to NEVER (emphasis theirs) download unless you get an email? So I wonder how are you determining that the downloads are actually updates, and not, perhaps, just re-downloads of the previous software?

I think the PPC simply pulls a file based on your customer information, it doesn't actually perform any version checking or other update validation between what-it-has and what-is-there. But, I could be wrong.

Tom.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Re: Lets talk some more BSR (tmtalpey)

Quote, originally posted by tmtalpey »

Doesn't BSR tell you to NEVER (emphasis theirs) download unless you get an email? So I wonder how are you determining that the downloads are actually updates, and not, perhaps, just re-downloads of the previous software?

I think the PPC simply pulls a file based on your customer information, it doesn't actually perform any version checking or other update validation between what-it-has and what-is-there. But, I could be wrong.

Tom.

Tom, yes they do say that. However, I've connected the PPC to their database on many an occasion only to get a "there are no available updates" message in return (or something indicating that there is no file available - can't remember exactly). This implies version checking. That coupled with the fact that I do get updates sometimes implies that the file was changed. I agree that the possibility exists that they may set the file for a "reload" instead of an "update" but in this latest case I surmised that there was a difference between the 2 versions, i.e. the significant difference in smell between the 2 versions after spirited driving, which is indicative of a tuning (fuel map) change, I think. According to my wife, I'm always wrong so who knows.

Modified by IwantaS60R at 5:20 PM 7-7-2006

·
Registered
816 Posts

This may be an assumption on my part but if you could smell the fuel burning (sulfur smell) before and can't now that would tell me just the opposite of what you deduced. Running rich I would think you would have more of a chance to smell the exhaust, black smoke, carbon coming out of the exhaust and if they leaned it out, there is less fuel, its burning hotter, less chance to smell it.

You could always ask those very personable people at BSR and I'll be they'll tell you what they told me when I asked about air/fuel ratios with them.

WE DON'T DISCUSS OUR ECU PROGRAMMING WITH OUR CUSTOMERS!!! . Or you could just ask them if the new version of software is compatible with a 3" DownPipe and I'll bet they would explain in detail, NO !!

Ah yes, I get warm and fuzzy feelings running up and down my spine everytime I think about customer service at BSR....

Which leads me back to, why bother, with BSR, you get what you get, and leave it at that. You've all been amply forwarned about compatability issues with BSR and a 3"DP. BSR has made it painfully clear they have no intention of changing that.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Re: Lets talk some more BSR (RhaRdeR)

Quote, originally posted by RhaRdeR »
This may be an assumption on my part but if you could smell the fuel burning (sulfur smell) before and can't now that would tell me just the opposite of what you deduced. Running rich I would think you would have more of a chance to smell the exhaust, black smoke, carbon coming out of the exhaust and if they leaned it out, there is less fuel, its burning hotter, less chance to smell it.

You could always ask those very personable people at BSR and I'll be they'll tell you what they told me when I asked about air/fuel ratios with them.

WE DON'T DISCUSS OUR ECU PROGRAMMING WITH OUR CUSTOMERS!!! . Or you could just ask them if the new version of software is compatible with a 3" DownPipe and I'll bet they would explain in detail, NO !!

Ah yes, I get warm and fuzzy feelings running up and down my spine everytime I think about customer service at BSR....

Which leads me back to, why bother, with BSR, you get what you get, and leave it at that. You've all been amply forwarned about compatability issues with BSR and a 3"DP. BSR has made it painfully clear they have no intention of changing that.

I knew you would chime in!

Anyway, here is the basis for my assumption. The author of it is an emissions research scientist so I assume he knows what he is talking about. I used to get the smell when I pull up to a stop light (or pull into my garage) after spirited driving.

http://www.swri.edu/10light/catalyst.htm

1 - 14 of 14 Posts