SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First and foremost, I'm not looking for any real performance improvement. I just want the car to growl a little more and to really hear the turbo.

So...

Just messing around today, I took out the intake filter and box on my car, relocated the ECU, and stuck a K&N cone right onto the MAF. I got no CELs, a decent growl when you really get on it, and quite a BOV effect.

I put the stock intake back in because I plan to buy a no-oil-Injen cone filter, hydro shield, heat shield, and some tubing to throw a little bit more air at the filter from the stock source that's attached to the grille. Soon, I'll get an Elevate IP and call it done. I know I've seen others do a very similar set up, but with oiled filters.

Could you see any negatives to this? It'll technically be an identical Injen set up but with the Elevate IP and stock MAF holder; a hot air intake. I know the problems with a true CAIs on the market is the 90° bend after the filter and before the MAF (it creates uneven air flow going around the corner).

Another idea I have would be to build an enclosure around the cone filter, then pipe directly to it (from the grille and from near the fog light) to make a true CAI.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
instead of the elevate pipe, find someone to make you a 3 inch wide piece of silicone and then get some 3 inch piping to the maf and that will be better than the elevate pipe. you'll be satisfied with that setup and installation.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
A while back I was looking at doing something like that BUT after lots of reading and almost attempting it I came to this conclusion. Save money for injen intake and call it a day. I didnt feel safe attempting something myself because i am unsure of my mechanical skills so i am taking the easy way out.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
What mechanical skill? You can get a plumber to do this lol.

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk while on the toilet.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
If you're making an enclosure, are you considering adding the ECU to one side? Could make for a very different product than what is available.

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For now, I'll probably just make a bracket for the ECU, no one seems to have had an issues with that. Have they?

But yes, eventually, it would be neat to build a separate box for the ECU with it's own enclosure and own source for air.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I've heard about it one or two times, I do think that it is rare, but honestly, that is the reason that I am staying happy with my K&N drop in.

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to play around with some more ideas this weekend. Part of me says to cash out for the Injen set up, part of me wants to make my own set up, and part of me says don't mess with it. Like I said, my only real concern is the ECU.

I thought about going with a K&N drop in a while ago, but what are the pros of that over stock?

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I believe some have fried their ECM's when relocating the unit. There is an ECM relocation kit that works for our cars but I've only seen it on UK web sites (and occasionally a used one pops up.) Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
What kind of temperature can the ecu hold up to?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
The ECU will hold the same temperature as the engine will make. My car doesn't even have an aircooled ECU. It is mounted next to the battery and has no sort of airflow in the near of it... The only reason Volvo fitted the ECU in the intake, was because there wasn't any other easy to get to space to use. There where the other engines have the ECU from 2008 onwards (behind the bumper on the driver's side) the T5 can't have it, as the water bottle sits there. Where my ECU is, the turbopiping runs on a T5.

No need what so ever for the ECU to be cooled/ventilated.

·
Registered
687 Posts
interesting thread

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Daim very interesting point. So why do some people say their ecu malfunctioned because of heat related damage? Is that jumping to conclusions on their part?

·
Registered
1,644 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looking at the K&N and Injen intakes, how much do their heat shields really do? Seems like anything open in the engine bay is experiencing the same temperatures.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I'm pretty sure both companies intake systems have worked out the ECM cooling issue so either would be safe, I would recommend against not having constant air crossing the heat fins of the ECM. As long as the engine is running, there will be ambient air entering the stock air intake and cooling the ECM as it passes the into the MAF. I'm sure this is no accident. It is a testiment to how well a car is made that we can take cooling for granted.

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll have to play around tomorrow and see what I can do. But now I'm slightly scared on what I may damage by doing this...

Other cheap options for slight sound improvement?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
again i think injen intake is our best bet for great sound and maybe some performance increase. Injen is a good company so i dont think they will create something that will potentially damage our cars. I might be wrong but something like an injen intake and then use the front scoop air to guide some cold air to the ECM will be the best. Yes expensive but safe.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Any thought on making an intake like the iPD R kit? I mean even with the K&N drop-in or the injen? Has anyone though of going through to the fog light?

·
Registered
87 Posts
again i think injen intake is our best bet for great sound and maybe some performance increase. Injen is a good company so i dont think they will create something that will potentially damage our cars. I might be wrong but something like an injen intake and then use the front scoop air to guide some cold air to the ECM will be the best. Yes expensive but safe.
I have never heard the injen,I do like the dry filter though. But my K&N makes the sound that I always wanted in a car. I have had my intake and I haven't had any problems,even after oiling the filter again. The thing with the K&N is you just don't want to be crazy with the spray. I agree they are a great company though and maybe I'll switch when I get back from Korea,but i'm leaning more towards the EST setup.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts