SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Re: Lets talk hood vents/grills (juve021)

I'm sure you exhausted the search function already but I will give it a shot.

In the meantime enjoy these under hood shots for ideas about vent placement. Discuss amongst yourselves:

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Search yielded me nothing but I did have fun reviewing the thread about the different bugs everyone has in their tail lights....I digress.

The placement of the flash green grills look amazing but I am not sure that the area below the openings will optimize airflow.

**Walking out to garage to check**

Passenger side vent is directly above the timing belt and alternator.

Driver side vent is directly above the stock air filter placement.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Re: Lets talk hood vents/grills (juve021)

To contrast look at the openings closer to the firewall.

I like the look of a grill in the opening furthest back. In theory the proximity of the opening would be ideal as it is directly above the turbo. In practicality (look at the picture) the false strut bar (engine mount holder...I'm not sure what to call it) blocks half the flow. The VIN plate is also located in this area and adds to the obstruction.

The middle opening might be the ideal placement. It is directly above the head and directly above the OTE pipe.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Re: (Impulse922)

Quote, originally posted by Impulse922 »

first step to remove heat, FMIC.

Second step, bigger turbo.

sadly, people in 850s havent had a problem making 400whp for years and i have yet to see hood vents in them.

I've seen a few 850s with hood vents. Here are two of my favorites:

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Re: (cmurphy2266)

Quote, originally posted by cmurphy2266 »

Are you serious? That 850 is complete rice. Those exterior mods are WAY over the top. Just because it's a nice car doesn't mean you can rice it out. Those mods are NOT tasteful, and looks so lame.

"Now, the world don't move to the beat of just one drum,
What might be right for you, may not be right for some....

...It takes, Diff'rent Strokes to move the world."

If you don't like those you are going to hate these:

Now I need to source a cheap hood from a junk yard and get out the saw. I'd rather not have to deal with making a fiberglass one, it's not worth the time and effort.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Re: (cmurphy2266)

Quote, originally posted by cmurphy2266 »

It's not really opinion, it's a matter of fact. The first picture is a joke. and the second is the AtSpeed R, you know, the RACE CAR. That's why they can put that big wing on the back. It looks cool on a proper race car, but when you put a wing like that on a street car, it's complete rice. That hood is way out of place, and absolutely ridiculous. It's not even good looking. That hood complete disrupts the lines of that car. It's completely out of place, and is rice. It's tacky, and makes the rest of us look like a joke.

I'm sorry, I thought the Diff'rent Strokes reference was all-encompassing, but the show was before your time. Your response reminds me of the episode where Arnold and Willis were rejected by the prep school Mr. Drummond attended. Turns out Arnold and Willis were a little "different" than the rest of the student body. Instead of explaining the obvious rudimentary parallels between the early eighties T.V. show and your close-minded retort, I will take the more egalitarian approach.

What modification, seemingly tacky or not, one makes to their own car has no bearing upon what others will think of your automobile. The more I ruminate over the deduction that you drew the more I realize that indeed it takes diff'rent strokes.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Re: (JoshV70_)

Quote, originally posted by JoshV70_ »

Not the greatest install by them, however it does what it is supposed to do.

Josh,

The opening is directly above the manifold. Do you have any shots of the engine itself? I'm curious if the augmented manifold cover at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.