SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(this thread is about gauge pods, not gauges)

I got my gauges, but my original mounting plan is a no go now....

Took the A-pillar panel off today and didn't realize how much space the airbag takes up. I'm also worried that upon an airbag deployment, even if the gauges are secured down, they would be damaged. So now I need to find a new mounting location (for 2 gauges).

I'm not a huge fan of putting them with the gauge cluster, because of the differing colors and the blockage of warning lights.

Looked at putting them in with the tweeter, but I don't want to jar the gauges every time I close the door.

The steering column set up may be an option.

Let's see what your set up is! Even if I already shot it down for myself, please share.

(I have searched on SS and C30World, but it's hard to narrow a google site search down to just the S40/V50. I mostly got R results)

·
Registered
4,007 Posts

This is on top of the dynaudio. Idk if you have that but it's pretty simple to make. Find a standard 2 or 3 gauge dash pod and cut a hole in the speaker. Then just bolt this on top

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk while on the toilet.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Check in the boost gauge thread, there are some decent ideas in there. I belive you even commented somthing to the fact of the humidity was already bad enough for you and liking your vents lol. I do recall a member saying he had a vent mount boost gauge and the vent was still functional.

Also what about doing a pod on the dash right next to the a pillar and up close to the glass?

·
Super Moderator
15,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I'm subscribed to that thread. Just hoping to get a few more "placement ideas" without throwing Greg's "boost gauge options" thread too far off topic.

·
Super Moderator
15,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I finished up my pod and installation yesterday.

After taking apart the A pillar, I realized that the airbag is mostly in the curtain and only tethered to the base of the A pillar. There's also a strap that prevents the pillar from moving more than 2 inches at the top, so mounting a gauge to the base of the pillar shouldn't be an issue at all, so long as it's well secured.

I cut two holes in the pillar and trimmed/mounted a universal pillar pod from the inside. I then bondoed the entire pillar to fill the gaps between the pods and re-enforce the structurally-weakened pillar.

A lot of sanding later, I then covered both pillars in felt.

I then wrapped them in material (I will be replacing my headliner with the same material soon) and mounted everything in the car!

From the Outside:

With the flash on, so you can see the detail:

Now I just need to decide what color I want them to illuminate. Red is great for night driving because it's softer on the eyes, but I like the white, or maybe the blue.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wanted to do something similar, but there's no way of mounting them without covering the warning lights in the S40. Plus, I didn't want to mess up the color matched paint of the surround

·
Premium Member
2,989 Posts
I wanted to do something similar, but there's no way of mounting them without covering the warning lights in the S40. Plus, I didn't want to mess up the color matched paint of the surround
Yeah, I know. Space is a little tight in the S40. I repainted the entire bezel so no problem matching...lol.
And I wanted it to look like it came from the factory this way.

·
Super Moderator
15,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And I wanted it to look like it came from the factory this way.
+1

I decided I wanted an aftermarket appearance (especially since the glowshift gauges don't match the factory gauges), but with a factory-like fitting.

·
Super Moderator
15,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
how difficult is it the install the lines to the gauges?
It really wasn't that hard, the first time I've ever done something like that and it only took about an hour. Since I have an automatic, I just went through the rubber plug for a clutch pedal with the hose. I tapped the headlight switch for the ignition power supply, the power seat for the constant power supply, and I ran the ground to the exposed frame. I later realized I could have run all of the wires to the wiring in the seat, but oh well, everything works and I'm happy.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
The M66 is a bit trickier. i went thru the firewall on passenger side (with the rest of the wires) and under glovebox to instrument cluster.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
The M66 is a bit trickier. i went thru the firewall on passenger side (with the rest of the wires) and under glovebox to instrument cluster.
is there any way we could have tapped into the fuse box instead?

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
is there any way we could have tapped into the fuse box instead?
For the power or to get the wires into the cabin?

@ greencow - looks awesome!

·
Super Moderator
15,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I thought about this too, but I was worried that the gauge would get too jarred around with the door always opening and closing. How's it held up for you?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
wow i really like some of the ideas I need to grow some and hook up a boost gauge on my car.

by the way mynameideasweretaken do you want to come do mine :D

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.