SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The VR has seen highway-miles mostly, but closing in at 140K and except for a right outer tie rod end 80K miles ago it's still with a virgin suspension. No leaks, wobbles or sounds, straight as an arrow and the 4C works fine, but a complete overhaul is a luxury I'm willing to afford. Looking to start a list of parts. What should go on it and where to improve on OEM?

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
If you want to keep the 4C the only improvement in my eyes are TME springs. From there you can go with Delrin subframe bushings and IPD sway bars. Other than that, blue box or the equivalent bits and pieces are advised.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Money no object? Air ride with adjustable shocks, tied into the 4C buttons. A bit more realistic? KW coilovers with DDC and HLS (probably have to be custom ordered).

4C is fun, but I'll be switching to coilovers when mine craps out. My car is already lowered.

I'd also replace every feasible bushing with new OEM or poly where possible, ipd swaybars, and bracing where appropriate.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
If you plan on swapping out all the factory bushings with Powerflex Poly you can count on many hours of labor.
I was over 30 hours at mates rates doing mine with the IPD sways and Delrin front subframe bushings, front end is where I feel the biggest difference, feels very precise and well planted now

·
Registered
669 Posts
Cost no object?

I'd get a custom set of Ohlins coilovers made for the car, with matching spring rates, delete the 4C completely. I'd have the coilovers valving and spring rates take into account a set of IPD swaybars. I'd also do solid rear subframe bushings, consider doing poly for the other rear bushings and the front subframe bushings. With a really good set of dampers, you can remove a lot of compliance from the mountings and still retain decent ride comfort.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Sways, kw’s, a variety of poly bushings and delrin sf bushings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The better question is what are your expectations. What's your goal?
My original goal was a suspension that provides better handling than when it was new, preferably keeping the 4C functionality. Looking for ideas and already some interesting suggestions in the replies. Still some time to decide as it's a plan for early spring.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Stock everything.

I am very much not a fan of hard bushings, they wear out rapidly and transmit a lot of NVH. I didn't buy a high end Volvo so it could feel like I was driving a clapped out pickup.

I have had a lot of customers insist on that sort of thing, and then sell their car after a short time because the car was no longer any fun to drive. I've also de-modified a few of them after they saw the light.

Hell, I HAVE a car that has all sorts of hard bushings, adjustable suspension, etc. My '84 RX-7. It's no fun to drive, which is why I bought my '81 with the explicit goal of leaving it stock. And it's a HELL of a lot more pleasant to drive. I look forward to taking it out for a spin, I dread having to get into the '84.

Now, mind you, I also kind of want to buy another S60R to modify, but I'm not expecting to drive it much.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are you the first owner?
No, second, bought at 109K just after the first owner's extended warranty had expired. First owner was a meticulous visitor of the Volvo dealer and passed on complete maintenance records. He had another car while using the V70 to travel between the midwest and the east coast which is probably why the suspension fared quite well for so long.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
So, you've never experienced it with new suspension. I suggest all factory components and make it like new and enjoy it. If you want stiff harsh race car for the street, get a second car and do it to that one. BTW, that will be costly enough.

·
Registered
669 Posts
So, you've never experienced it with new suspension. I suggest all factory components and make it like new and enjoy it. If you want stiff harsh race car for the street, get a second car and do it to that one. BTW, that will be costly enough.
I’m the original owner of my ‘04 VR and it never was very good with brand new suspension. I would not advocate stiff and harsh, it already does that pretty well.

Good dampers will fix that- they will absorb the small bumps and take the edge off the big ones. The stock Monroes are terrible. Ohlins, AST, Penske, Moton, JRZ, etc. will fix that. The 4C system simply doesn’t work well.

·
3,899 Posts
Just finished my suspension refresh, Dropped both subframes, new 4c, Tme springs, Delrin subframe bushings, IPD 25mm Sway bars, Control arms, End links, Sway bar links, Tie rods, Wheel bearings, Dust boots, spring perches, spring insulators, top hats, motor mounts (3x), every bushing int he rear subframe replaced, haldex drain an fill + filter and new exhaust hangers.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
I have an '06 with stock 4C and it works just fine for what I want. I have an 850 with H&R's and Koni shocks, lower profile tires, Delrin bushings and it can be harsh on rough roads. Beautiful on good roads, but the '06 is pleasant on either and handles just fine. That being said, I prefer to drive the 850.

·
3,899 Posts
I have to say, as someone who is OCD about vibration an harshness. The Delrins did NOT increase cabin vibration at all, they are a little rougher over bumps (about 10% on comfort about 40-50% on advanced). It eliminated alot of slop and recoil which in my opinion was way more of an annoyance. Keep in mind I'm not full aligned yet so it will probably be even better next week.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions, they have been a great help so far. I usually have the 4C on 'sport' when I'm alone, but my wife thinks it is a little too harsh and often requests 'comfort'. From what I've read here, I might be best off sticking with stock parts except for the 4C, if I can push myself to do forego on it. Perhaps I should try to find an R owner with different dampers to get a feel before I decide.

·
Registered
669 Posts
The problem is, there is almost zero aftermarket for our cars. Any of the brands I mentioned, would require a custom shock/strut setup.

I think comfort is too floaty, sport is too stiff and advanced way too stiff. Stiff without any compliance, still far too much body roll and lack of damping. I'm going KW or BC next time around to ditch everything.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts