SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car is in the shop, anyone want to guess what's wrong?

When you start the car it squeals while the RPMS are up, once the rpms drop the sqeauling goes down. When driving between 5 mph and 20 mph upon acceleration it squeals.

Clue: it's coming from around the turbo/dp area.

http://youtu.be/DpcspOATzy4

Let the quessing begin!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
It's totaled I will do you a solid and take it off your hands for $3k

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I'm going out on a limb 3500$

·
Registered
67 Posts
I am also tempted to put my first bet on the serpentine belt... It could be something around the tranny's passenger output? Some minor problems like angle gear case snapped all 5 bolts retaining it and it went down, now the collar is rubbing againgst the housing? :D Well..,. what ever turns out of this, tell us so I can diagnose myself when it happens to me, without paying 110$ an hour for the labor :)

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Some simple questions, does it happen only when cold or at anytime even after warm up it continues? If it stops after warm up my money is on the belt and a simple test trick is hit the belt with some WD-40 see if the noise stops.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
or if you don't have WD-40 simple dish soap also works.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
It's a bit odd that it doesn't start immediately after the engine starts, there's a second delay or so. That makes me think turbo as well. But it kind of sounds like something metal rattling from the video, not so much a squealing.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Some simple questions, does it happen only when cold or at anytime even after warm up it continues? If it stops after warm up my money is on the belt and a simple test trick is hit the belt with some WD-40 see if the noise stops.

No it does it all the time when accelerating, it's just not as loud once it's warmed up. It'sthe worst when you first start the car in the am when it's warming itself up.

My guess timing belt or maybe bolts for the dp or turbo.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's a bit odd that it doesn't start immediately after the engine starts, there's a second delay or so. That makes me think turbo as well. But it kind of sounds like something metal rattling from the video, not so much a squealing.
Yeah, I thought it was a belt as well but there are no belts back by the turbo, right?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
belts and related tensioners.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
My 2 cents is that when I had a squealing noise (only under boost, mind you), it was fixed by replacing the intake pipe. Good chance it was a leak in the connection to the brake booster line.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
sounds like you have an exhaust manifold gasket leak on top of that noise,but it is hard to tell on a vid...just get rid of it , I'll give you 12,000$ AND ALL OF THOSE HORRIBLE NOISES WE BE GONE...;)

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Maybe you have a leak in your downpipe. It makes a high pitched noise.
Ding Ding Ding, George is the closest.

Mechanic spent a few hours tracing it. He found that one of the bolts from the DP had come loose and it was frozen in place and he did not want to mess with it. Picked up my car and drove it to IPD, they have it now and plan on repairing it tomorrow. Crossing my fingers they can get the bolts out!.....more awesome costumer service from IPD.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
And of course the hot guy is the closetes.

Mechanic spent a few hours tracing it. He found that one of the bolts from the DP had come loose and it was frozen in place and he did not want to mess with it. Picked up my car and drove it to IPD, they have it now and plan on repairing it tomorrow. Crossing my fingers they can get the bolts out!.....more awesome costumer service from IPD.

So Geroge wins!, unless I have an update tomorrow which I hope I dont!
They keep on telling me they don't do service work anymore. Who are you sweet talking to get serviced?

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 37 Posts