SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought my R on Wednesday at around 530 pm 04 with 53k miles 6 speed. Car ran great no issues what so ever. So on my way home from work yesterday I stopped at and met my gf for some dinner. As I was sitting at the light to pull in I noticed that all of my gauges where not functioning. Ok no big deal the car stalled, I turned the key to the off position and felt the car shut off, oh great the car was running and the gauges stopped working. I started it back up and gauges were operating normal but then 3 check engine lights came on. SRS Air Bag Urgent, Brake failure, and check engine systems WTF!!! so I pull into where I was meeting my gf and the gauges stopped working again within less than 1 min. So i parked the car let it run and went to go put up my windows, NOPE windows arent working, tried my turn signals NOPE not working, tried my headlights NOPE not working. So all of these items do not function once my gauges start to not operate properly. So I called the dealership got a hold of the owner and was talking to him but to be honest I dont remember anything he was saying because I was so F'ing pissed. So I went inside and ate came back out and started the car check engine lights still there and guages were working so I decided to head for home. On my way home the car did the exact same thing (MOTHER FATHER!) So I was going down my driveway and pulled into the grass and gave it some gas, AWesome my AWD doesnt function properly either while my gauges go down. So I disconnected the battery and let it sit and reconnected it. Took it for a ride to see if it fixed the issue to no success what so ever. To make things worse I leave for vacation with my gf TODAY and we currently have no car to get there. We set up her car to get worked on while we were away since we wouldnt be using it. I really hope the dealership will give me a loaner car or something because this is BS.

Anyone ever had this issue?:mad:

·
Registered
861 Posts
Maybe bring it to a parts store and have them check the charging system? Does the alternator look very new? Maybe the wrong one was installed? I had major issues getting the correct alternator for my R. Even Bosch said they had the catalog incorrect.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Damn that sucks!!!! Typically 10 minutes won't reset the battery as the computer has internal power storage that will last longer than that. Even still, I don't think a battery reset is going to fix your problem. Did you get a warranty with the car?

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Is it an original battery? I'd have them test and replace if it is original. These R's go crazy when batteries go bad causing the dash to light up like a christmas tree. Hopefully it isn't anything more serious than that or a loose connection someplace.

Also when you pull the battery cables, just touch the cables together (not to the battery of course) instead of waiting forever

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am not sure on the alternator Im assuming it is still factory but my stereo works fine can turn it up hella high no issues and my AC and fans all work while gauges decide to go hay wire. And I am not sure on the age of the battery. There was a little corrosion on the negative terminal which I cleaned off prior to reinstall. There is a 60 day couple thousand mile warranty. But I AINT PAYIN S**T if it isnt covered, I had the car for LESS THAN 24 HRS!!! As you can see I'm a little torqued up, I bought a newer car because I was tired of dealing with POS's all through highschool and college. Not saying the R is a POS YET but c'mon now..

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Is it an original battery? I'd have them test and replace if it is original. These R's go crazy when batteries go bad causing the dash to light up like a christmas tree. Hopefully it isn't anything more serious than that or a loose connection someplace.

Also when you pull the battery cables, just touch the cables together (not to the battery of course) instead of waiting forever
+1 if the battery is original just replace it.

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
I bought a newer car because I was tired of dealing with POS's all through highschool and college. Not saying the R is a POS YET but c'mon now..
I guess it's all relative but I probably wouldn't consider a 9 year old car to be newer. These cars take a fair amount of maintenance and repairs to keep on the road but I can imagine the frustration of having a problem on a car you just bought.

Like the others suggested, I would start with the battery and charging system to see if that is the problem. Could very well be the battery if it's the original one and the car has been sitting on a dealer's lot for a time.

Hopefully that addresses it or back to the seller it goes!

Good luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I believe the owner who is the head volvo mechanic said something about something would probably have to get sent out for repair.. like I said I barely remember anything he said because I was stressing out.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Sounds like the battery issue. If the original owner never replaced the battery, that would explain the problem. Bad timing, and weird coincidence, but a battery is a simple fix.

OP, you might want to break your posts into paragraphs. Makes it a lot easier for us to read your issues.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Ok, Ill bring it up to him when I go in there today to have him look at it
Dealer? I assume that you don't work on the car yourself judging by that comment.

Anyway, a battery is a very easy to swap. I would first check the date of manufacture on the battery in your car, which is located in the trunk under the black panel beside the spare tire.

But, I would bring the car back to the seller and have him fix it on his dime. Something less than 24 hours is usually not acceptable, and I'm sure he'll feel slightly responsible for it if he was somewhat of a decent guy.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
I believe the owner who is the head volvo mechanic said something about something would probably have to get sent out for repair.. like I said I barely remember anything he said because I was stressing out.
Take it back to where you bought it, unless it was a private sale....if that's the case I sure hope "AS IS" isn't anywhere on the contract that you hopefully wrote and received.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Well I hope PA is the same way
I think the law in PA won't help you. I think a car sold AS IS can die as soon as you get it out of the dealership.

You mentioned a warranty but not what it covers... Hopefully that will help.

Where'd you get it? Volvo dealer or somewhere else?

And which part of PA are you in?

·
Registered
635 Posts
seriously, fried modules? Check the date code on the battery, i bet it's ancient. Replace that thing, clear the codes, be done. Mine freaked out when the battery voltage got low. replaced, cleared codes, BAM 7 months later i have zero issues.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts