SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering buying an XC40 but have not yet gotten to a dealer to actually see one. Can anyone measure the space behind the front seats with the rear seats folded to the inside of the lift gate and let me know that length?
I'm looking to be able to carry my bike without a bike rack.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The floor length of the cargo area is about 67" behind my seat and can carry a 54cm titanium custom Seven road bike. The problem is that the wheel stands at an angle when laid down and would necessitate removing the cargo cover. It is easier to remove a front wheel than stuff the cargo cover, but you could also not use the cargo cover. As for carrying two bikes, I have a Kuat Beta 2 which is rock steady on my trailer hitch. Easier to use than removing 2 wheels and one seat to mount 2 bikes inside an older Mercedes ML, though I can use the Kuat on it, also. Cars are accessories to my bike and I have never had a problem with a dealer allowing me to try to put my bike inside for a potential car purchase

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The floor length of the cargo area is about 67" behind my seat and can carry a 54cm titanium custom Seven road bike. The problem is that the wheel stands at an angle when laid down and would necessitate removing the cargo cover. It is easier to remove a front wheel than stuff the cargo cover, but you could also not use the cargo cover. As for carrying two bikes, I have a Kuat Beta 2 which is rock steady on my trailer hitch. Easier to use than removing 2 wheels and one seat to mount 2 bikes inside an older Mercedes ML, though I can use the Kuat on it, also. Cars are accessories to my bike and I have never had a problem with a dealer allowing me to try to put my bike inside for a potential car purchase
Great info-thank you!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Actually, there is one way to fit the bike in without taking the wheel off. You have to fold the lower cargo cover (the one which the upper cover can be stored underneath) on top of itself and then there is enough room for the front wheel underneath the still installed cargo cover since that lowers the rear part of the cargo space a couple of inches. Best to think about a 2019 as the electric folding seats are definitely a plus when you are loading a bike, and are not included in a 2020.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Considering buying an XC40 but have not yet gotten to a dealer to actually see one. Can anyone measure the space behind the front seats with the rear seats folded to the inside of the lift gate and let me know that length?
I'm looking to be able to carry my bike without a bike rack.
We tested a XC40 yesterday (part of the test is does 2 tri bikes fit with transition bags and 2 overnight bags) and the bikes fit without an issue. My wife's bike fits without taking the front wheel off and mine can be squeezed in by I would probably take my front wheel off to make it easier. It's going to be her car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts