SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT:
Most problems from original post have been fixed. Only problem remaining is a dull clunking/ groaning/ vibration when accelerating. Louder when turning left or straight. Rarely happens when turning right. More info in my most recent post #8 below: HERE

ORIGINAL POST:

Could anyone please provide some input or BTDT on what could be causing these? I've searched google and the forums and have found a TON of info, but have not come to a definite conclusion on what my problem could be...

Car: 2004 XC90 2.5T AWD. Old style PS reservoir.

Symptoms: (which may be exclusive or related)
1. On sharper left turns above 15mph, I can feel the steering pulsate in a slight jerky/ shuddering/ fashion as if it were loose.
2. This turning is accompanied by a dull clunking/ groaning.
- Not a Power Steering whine that is a result of low fluid-- The fluid level is fine.
- The noise doesn't happen any other time, even when I full lock under 15mph.
- It is not the noise from the rubber boot over the bushing where the steering column enters the cabin...I have already fixed that
3. Occasionally I've noticed when braking on the highway that the car will "side hop". I have read that this is common on V70 and S60 models but didn't find much information for the XC90. It is not consistent nor is it very violent when it happens like the V70/S60 problem seems to be.

I have some ideas as to what I am going to test and replace but would like to get the forum's opinion first!

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Check your CB joint in the axle. Pull the axle out and check for leaks and looseness.

It could also be the PS Pump. Seems to be a fairly common problem on the earlier 90's.

Have you tried an alignment for the side hop? One of your front wheels could be out just enough to push sideways when pressure is added from braking. Or one of your rear wheels could be out if the rear is hopping before the front and pulling the front. This could actually be from the left turning clunk messing up the alignment stay.

Best of Luck!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you... I'll check the joint this weekend (replacing axle seal).

Yes I just got an alignment with the snow tires I just purchased. Everything is in spec (but could be getting messed up like you said)

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
The bouncing could have bent the stay. They are meant to bend one way, up. Thankfully they are cheap to replace. Rear's are $40.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Perhaps an obvious question but have you ever replaced the front suspension lower control arms, spring seats or bearing plates? And do you have any overt slop in your steering rack?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Perhaps an obvious question but have you ever replaced the front suspension lower control arms, spring seats or bearing plates? And do you have any overt slop in your steering rack?
I have not under my ownership and they look worn so they are on the list.

Overt slop-- yes, but only when I am sharp turning left like in my Symptom 1 of my original post. Turning right feels tight.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have not under my ownership and they look worn so they are on the list.

Overt slop-- yes, but only when I am sharp turning left like in my Symptom 1 of my original post. Turning right feels tight.
I had misc noises in my front end turning lock to lock occasionally going over bumps- I ended up replacing the ball joints and the control arm assembly from a kit sold by FCP - https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vo...2xc90cakt3p4?gclid=CLSbvJP71skCFQ6RaQodKFcLJA you can buy just the bushings but I don't have a press and wanted to get the car back on the road I also replaced the upper shock mount bearing and spring seats with a heavy duty better than OEM from IPD( http://www.ipdusa.com/products/4712/124672-ipd-heavy-duty-front-upper-spring-seat) - Result is a noise-free front end. Also worn subframe bushings can cause this type of nose to be transmitted as everything flexes when turning . Takes several hours of work but is pretty straight forward for DIY shop will be more of course

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE: Problem #2 in my original post persists. Since my last post, I dove into fixing other issues - camshaft seals, PCV system, VVT pulleys, Timing service, upper and lower torque mounts etc etc.

I still get a groaning/moaning noise and vibration from the front end only while Accelerating straight or left (about 50% throttle or more). I can make it do the groaning noise when turning right, but only if I'm REALLY accelerating quickly.

Does anybody have any ideas now that I have narrowed it down a bit more? I wish I could post a video but it is more of the vibration/groaning feeling accompanied by a dull noise. Could it be motor mounts?

Also worn subframe bushings can cause this type of nose to be transmitted as everything flexes when turning .
Is there an efficient way to test this?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SOLUTION for anyone searching this thread:

The "side hop" under braking was fixed by the control arms/ball joints and

Groaning/moaning noise which was more noticeable when turning left... turned out to be: Motor mounts!! Car feels so much better now. This is what the right motor mount looked like and explains why the groaning was more noticeable when turning left and the weight was on this one:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts