SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Left side knock...help

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Cementups 
#1 ·
Been hearing a kind of "knocking" sound. Sounds like it's coming from the front left. I hear it when I start to accelerate slowly from a stop or if I am slowing to a stop. Pretty much when the car jerks the most forward or backward.

Has there ever been any "shock knock" issues with the '05 R's? Or my other thought is maybe a bad axle. Any help is appreciated.

also, do I have to have it looked at by the dealer I bought it from or can I take it to a closer dealer. It is still under warranty with only 53xx miles on it and only 6 months old.

really need to get this fixed before June since it will go out for its first track outing in St. Louis at GIR.

#2 ·
Re: Left side knock...help (Cementups)

Clutch engaging/disengaging? Do you have a MT?

#4 ·
Re: Left side knock...help (Vipergtsz3)

Describe the "clunk" better.
There is a TNN for the subframe, it could be your axle, it could be one of 3 or 4 different things but it's hard to give a reply without more details on the noise
JRL

#5 ·
Re: Left side knock...help (Cementups)

I had a knocking sound from the front end, too, but it wasn't noticeable from accelerating/decellerating as you describe. It was more over small road disturbances. After 4 trips to the dealer, where they looked over the steering and the suspension several times. They looked at the subframe bushings, link rods (replaced), and spring seat among other things, neither of which turned out to be the issue. It was traced to a bad left front strut. Replaced both L and R under warranty. All is well now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.