SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My left rear speaker is not working. I noticed it earlier by playing with balance and fade, but recently got VIDA/DICE going and it tells me that there is "no signal for left rear speaker".

Any ideas if this is a likely a loose connection, broken wire, issue with head unit, amp, blown speaker?

It is a 2005 s40 T5 w/o premium sound. Does this car come with an external amp, or is it all in the head unit?

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Most likely it is a blown speaker but the VIDA message has me puzzled.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Does each speaker have its own individual fuse?

If it does... Maybe.
If it doesn't, and all speakers run off either one fuse for all or simply radio power, hence off a radio fuse (much more likely) then no, because if the fuse was blown, the entire circuit would not work and the radio would not function, producing no sound nor light nor power to the head unit at all until the good fuse let power flow to the whole thing, not just parts of it.

TL;DR - If a fuse is out the whole thing won't work. It's likely not that, unless each speaker is fused individually, which I've not ever heard of.

If they ARE individually fused on OP's 05 or 06 S40 2.4 non-turbo then please correct me but this being a Mitsubishi influence and part-sourced car, I really don't think it is.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hmm idk honestly, just suggesting what i was always told to start with.... small then big, and owners manual should tell you about fuses or even the fuse boxes themselves.

Maybe short in wire in actual speaker.... Is it factory radio? Speaker?

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm idk honestly, just suggesting what i was always told to start with.... small then big, and owners manual should tell you about fuses or even the fuse boxes themselves.

Maybe short in wire in actual speaker.... Is it factory radio? Speaker?

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
Thanks all for the replies.

Yes, it is factory all around.

I will check the fuses. Seem to be a number of them assigned to the audio system.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks all for the replies.

Yes, it is factory all around.

I will check the fuses. Seem to be a number of them assigned to the audio system.
Have you seen the hidden DCTS menu on your Volvo yet? I think it's pretty cool dunno how useful or accurate it is lol...

But let me know what you find out. I mean if it is a fuse thats usually the cheapest thing... Right?

And before you go fuse hunting, check the owners manual of your car, may slightly vary a little. Thank god for Volvo online, i can pull up that manual anytime for free instead of paying dealership like 50-60 bucks....

*unofficial volvo durability tester*

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
The speakers are not independently fused. I checked the wire diagrams.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. I guess I will take the door apart and see if I can wiggle the connector around and get some sound out of it as a next step.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts