SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I've been sleuthing about for a few weeks looking at V90's popping up on my search alerts, I'm curious about a couple of things and thought I'd throw them out here for comment....

1) I've had a couple of 2018's that are being sold "as new" but on dealer websites they are listed as 'demo/loaner' vehicles. Are these still new? As in, the factory warranty starts at purchase time? Or am I short changed on factory warranty? I've seen some with several thousand miles on.

2) I'm looking at one that has 100 miles on it... and my sleuthing says it arrived at the dealer in November 2017! I wonder if that is odd, or if this is just truly one that has been on the lot that long. It's actually listing at 18% off MSRP, so I'm wondering if I could really push it and try for 25% off.... (unfortunately, it is literally 2000 miles away).

2) new 2018 (100 miles on odometer) versus 2017 with 20K miles and Polestar upgrade for 10K less from private seller... otherwise equal.... what would you pick? Both would require a few days travel to fetch....

3) I've seen a couple that I've found out were 'lemon law' returns. They are being sold as used...but really low miles..and seemingly high priced... but the salesmen are portraying the lemon return as "in some states, customers can say the car felt funny, and they have to accept them as lemons... " I'm avoiding those for now, but wanted to know what others have thought about that?

4) Anyone bought a car site unseen and then had it delivered? ;-) I know that sounds crazy when I type it out like that. lol.

---LP

·
Registered
13,506 Posts
1) You typically get the remaining time/miles of the warranty because the car has been placed into service.
2) You may be able to do a little better on one that has been sitting around for a year and a half - never hurts to try.
2a) I would probably spring for the newer car with 100 miles but that's just me.
3) I don't think I'd ever buy a lemon law car - not for something this expensive.
4) I would never buy a car sight unseen, not for a purchase like this. If there was even one little issue with the car that was not disclosed I would be annoyed. The trip out and back with the new car are really fun - have done it many times.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
For a new car, I'd totally buy one sight unseen, and just make sure you insure the heck out of it, especially during transport.

18% off MSRP on a 1+ year old seems tame since many of us were getting 15% off SPAs on NEW 2018s at the end of 2017. Added to the fact V90s aren't selling well vs the rest of the SPA SUVs, so one should totally look for at LEAST 25% off MSRP. gl with your shopping!

·
Registered
2019 S60 R Design, Fusion Red, Fully Loaded
502 Posts
I bought mine as a service demo, with about 1000km on it, and in service date about 8 moths prior to my purchase date, 2018 model year.

Hadn’t seen it in person or driven it prior to making the deal, but that being said, I have dealt with the dealership a few times in past and have developed a very positive working relationship.

Contacted my sales person on Sunday, went in on Tuesday and picked it up, all ready to go with some items added.

Inspected and drove it, prior to signing but as I live a few hours away from the dealer, didn’t spend a ton of time.

Asides from buying my own “gap insurance” after, everything went as expected.

It ended up about 24% or so off of MSRP.

So, I would say yes, this is a great way to get a newer car with some of the depreciation eliminated.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I vote for the ‘18 w/ 100 miles at 25% off sticker.
Second this! I strongly suggest to pass on the lemon law car. The sales guy is full of it. I lemon law'd a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland when I lived in MA. In most states one has to give the manufacturer 5 - 7 attempts to repair the same issue over the first year of ownership and within certain mileage. One cannot say I don't like something and that is it. On the GC I had, the rear air suspension would fail, almost every other week, and the rear would sink and every little bump would hammy through the vehicle. They replaced the compressor, the air bladders, circuit boards, sensors etc. .etc. The dealer was great but Jeep fought me. Finally, after the 7th time I told Jeep I wanted my money back via the lemon law and they pushed back so I threatened getting a lawyer and they reached out two days later asking me to return the vehicle to the dealership. I got paid out, less several hundred dollars for mileage. I went and leased a 2012 VW Touareg TDI. In the end, the service manager called me two months after the lemon law and informed me the Jeep engineers figured it out, it was a software issue. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the comments ;-) Yeah, I never really bought in to the lemon law returns...not only was it not a great deal as a "not lemon"...knowing the history, it made no sense.

After focusing on lightly used 2017's for a while, the option of a brand new 2018 with 100 miles on the odometer and service start date of 4/1/2019 really intrigues me... especially a loaded t6, lux, conv, hud, air suspens, & 20" rims and their starting price is 58K... not sure how far down they'll go. It would definately be more than I intended on paying.... but I also get newer.... (it's almost like it's been sitting in warehouse somewhere for a year, they have two nearly identical but with different interior colors) If they go low enough, then a trip to the west coast and an adventure drive back with the wife for a couple of days sound pretty fun to me ;-)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for all the comments ;-) Yeah, I never really bought in to the lemon law returns...not only was it not a great deal as a "not lemon"...knowing the history, it made no sense.

After focusing on lightly used 2017's for a while, the option of a brand new 2018 with 100 miles on the odometer and service start date of 4/1/2019 really intrigues me... especially a loaded t6, lux, conv, hud, air suspens, & 20" rims and their starting price is 58K... not sure how far down they'll go. It would definately be more than I intended on paying.... but I also get newer.... (it's almost like it's been sitting in warehouse somewhere for a year, they have two nearly identical but with different interior colors) If they go low enough, then a trip to the west coast and an adventure drive back with the wife for a couple of days sound pretty fun to me ;-)
Yes, some of the local dealers (i.e. Bay Area) are advertising cars like this (V90 CC T6 with an MSRP of $70,775) at $12k off, or 17%. They're also advertising the T5s at $12k off as well, so that's a full 20% advertised. A similar percentage discount on the T6 would be $56.6k. If they went 25%, I'd probably grab one myself.

Let us know how you do!

·
Registered
7 Posts
As a side note, there are still some new 2017s being advertised. If a 2018 can be had for >20% off, what would a 2017 be worth at this point?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Two months ago I bought a loaded '18 V90 Inscription with 7K miles on it for $20K below its msrp. I am not sure if they were demo miles or corporate but the car was not registered and so was considered new. I got a CPO warranty worked into my price which is huge for the mileage I put on. No regrets.

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
Two months ago I bought a loaded '18 V90 Inscription with 7K miles on it for $20K below its msrp. I am not sure if they were demo miles or corporate but the car was not registered and so was considered new. I got a CPO warranty worked into my price which is huge for the mileage I put on. No regrets.
CPO means pre-owned... Still very good deal.

Fusion · Red · T8 · XC60

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's empowering to not *need* a replacement vehicle yet, so I may see how aggressive the deal might be, given some of you have commented that it might not be too outrageous to get to 25% off MSRP ;-)

On a side note, while on this thread, last time I bought a vehicle out of state, it was just across a state line. If I remember right, I did not pay that state's sales tax; I paid my own states registration tax when I registered the car... which in my state is based on the value of the car. My memory is fuzzy though. On this search...I remember one salesmen suggesting if I transported back to Minnesota (from California), I could avoid California's 7.5% sales tax. ? If I do get a serious offer to consider, I will have to find out more about that. ;-)

·
Registered
65 Posts
It's empowering to not *need* a replacement vehicle yet, so I may see how aggressive the deal might be, given some of you have commented that it might not be too outrageous to get to 25% off MSRP ;-)

On a side note, while on this thread, last time I bought a vehicle out of state, it was just across a state line. If I remember right, I did not pay that state's sales tax; I paid my own states registration tax when I registered the car... which in my state is based on the value of the car. My memory is fuzzy though. On this search...I remember one salesmen suggesting if I transported back to Minnesota (from California), I could avoid California's 7.5% sales tax. ? If I do get a serious offer to consider, I will have to find out more about that. ;-)
I live in Kansas City, which is on the Kansas and Missouri border, so buying a car in one state and registering in another happens a lot. At least in these two states you only play sales tax to the state where the buyer is a resident.

·
Registered
13,506 Posts

Yes, you pay sales tax when you register the car - not to the dealer in CA if registering in another state. It's calculated based on the sales price.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I live in Kansas City, which is on the Kansas and Missouri border, so buying a car in one state and registering in another happens a lot. At least in these two states you only play sales tax to the state where the buyer is a resident.
Yes, you pay sales tax when you register the car - not to the dealer in CA if registering in another state. It's calculated based on the sales price.

Thanks ;-) So if I do ever get to that point, then, no matter if I fly to CA and drive it back, or have it transported back... I pay the same sales tax, in MN ;-)

·
Registered
13,506 Posts
Thanks ;-) So if I do ever get to that point, then, no matter if I fly to CA and drive it back, or have it transported back... I pay the same sales tax, in MN ;-)
Yes, you would just have the CA dealer give you temp plates if you were driving it back.

I did trade a car one time out of state and I paid the tax to the dealer because I kept the same plates and they sent the tax payment to the state where I live.

Rest assured, you will only pay tax for MN.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
....Secondly, the transport of the Volvo to your location is the way to go. In California, if the tires touch the ground you have to pay sales tax & license. With that in mind, transport would save you a trip and the tax.
That is a quote from one dialog with a California dealer. This is before discussing price; I may have to do some more research before I respond to them.....

Oh, and are there any specifics about a vehicle in California that I should be checking? I know nothing about the emissions requirements, if they are different/etc....

·
Registered
42 Posts
CPO means pre-owned... Still very good deal.

Fusion · Red · T8 · XC60

Not exactly. It means you get the CPO warranty, but the car is still titled as new, if you're financing you'll get new car rates rather than used car rates, etc. You'll still be offered the optional warranty stuff (wheels, interior, etc.). Every other element of the transaction is akin to buying a new car.

You'd rather have the CPO warranty because it'll extend 5 years from date of purchase.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Not exactly. It means you get the CPO warranty, but the car is still titled as new, if you're financing you'll get new car rates rather than used car rates, etc. You'll still be offered the optional warranty stuff (wheels, interior, etc.). Every other element of the transaction is akin to buying a new car.

You'd rather have the CPO warranty because it'll extend 5 years from date of purchase.
Thank you. Correct. My post wasn't incorrect.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That is a quote from one dialog with a California dealer. This is before discussing price; I may have to do some more research before I respond to them.....

Oh, and are there any specifics about a vehicle in California that I should be checking? I know nothing about the emissions requirements, if they are different/etc....
I *believe* that any car meeting the CARB (California Air Resources Board) standard also meets the less-strict Federal standards. Still, I would ask the dealer to send you a picture of the Vehicle Emissions Control label of the car you're looking to buy (it's on the underside of the hood). It should show both California and US EPA certifications.

I went through the reverse, buying a car from a dealer in Alabama for use in California, and made triple-sure that it was CARB certified, especially since it's a diesel and this was right around the time of VW's diesel scandal.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts