SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a while since I've been on here...makes me feel the urge to do more to the S40 :D

So I had the S40 at the shop yesterday for a popping/clunking noise I get while at low speeds turning the wheel. Sounds like it's in the passenger side of the engine bay. It also seems to have a similar sound when driving down the ramps in my parking garage at work.

Shop calls me this morning saying it looks like it's the 'left' motor mount, that there's a TSB out for it, and the replacement package comes with new mount, bracket, and tensioner. Total for the repair will be about $450! I'm trying to figure out what he's talking about. I know the passenger side upper mount is a bracket and rubber mount (because I have one sitting in my garage), and the torque mount I replaced with an Elevate one last fall. Is there actually another mount that's hydraulic on our cars? It's a 2005 T5 AWD w/ M66.

Thanks guys.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
There are several engine mounts, and "left" can mean different things, depending on which way you're facing. Here's a diagram from the following page: http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=233980&ukey_make=865&ukey_model=11979&modelYear=2005&ukey_category=7859&ukey_driveLine=0&ukey_TrimLevel=11138&ukey_modelRange=0&searchString==

It's probably not the exact parts list for yours, but it gives an idea. I'm not sure about that word "tensioner" though. It sounds like they're referring to the lower torque mount, the one labelled 9 and 10. But there are also parts #24 and #26.

Do you not trust them, or are you looking to see if you can save some money?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was really just trying to piece together what he was describing on the phone. I've done enough work underneath my S40 to have a good knowledge of most of the parts, so when he said tensioner and motor mount together it confused me. Unless he was referring to 2 separate parts for 2 different issues.

Maybe I should call them back and get clarification, eh? Suppose that would be the wise decision!

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Try to figure out which TSB they're referring to, as well.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Refer to this THREAD.
Being an 05' I'm sure you have the early rubber mount. Since you have an M66 the kit number is 30778932. This includes a new bracket, mount, bolt & intermediate lever for the shifter. $84 at Tasca. PM me with an email & I can send you the TB. About 1.5 hours in labor is suggested.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Refer to this THREAD.
Being an 05' I'm sure you have the early rubber mount. Since you have an M66 the kit number is 30778932. This includes a new bracket, mount, bolt & intermediate lever for the shifter. $84 at Tasca. PM me with an email & I can send you the TB. About 1.5 hours in labor is suggested.
Seems as though the dealer is screwing him on the labor cost then. 180$ an hour lol I am not surprised. Damm these mounts are absolute junk, I told my buddy the other day that I have to replace my motor mount he says "what the hell for, you only have 90k miles?" He works on fords of all things lol

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I get it back today, so we'll see what the breakdown of charges is. Unfortunately, right now I don't have the option to take it back and get another opinion. Need the car fixed sooner than later. The reviews for this place are all very positive so I'm HOPING that I'm not getting screwed. Northern Virginia isn't exactly a 'cheap' place...when I lived in BFE Florida labor rates seemed a lot lower!

I'm at 135K and only now replacing motor mounts so I'm not complaining. (although the passenger side upper mount probably should be replaced too..I have one of those already, will do that myself in a few weeks)

Seems as though the dealer is screwing him on the labor cost then. 180$ an hour lol I am not surprised. Damm these mounts are absolute junk, I told my buddy the other day that I have to replace my motor mount he says "what the hell for, you only have 90k miles?" He works on fords of all things lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts