SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Left headlamp problem CEM-B103C87 *SOLVED*

Hello to all of you!
Hoping this international forum will give me some hints and guidance on what to do with my headlight problem.
The car is a Volvo V70 2015
I´ll try to describe the problem and what I´ve tried this far;
Error message in DIM: "headlamp failure service required" (or similar, my car is set to swedish language)
Error message in Vida: CEM-B103C87 and CEM-B103D04
At startup the car did some self check up and down, but functions didn´t work.

First of all I had the car to Volvo, and they gave me a price of ~450 USD for left side "abl module+program+work"
That sounded a bit pricey for just one module, so I decided to buy two new ones from Germany (Lichtex)
Installed on both sides and the car does self check to all sides (up,down,left,right) but the problem remains for left side, Error message in DIM and in Vida CEM-B103C87.
Right headlamp responds to ABL-calibration in Vida. Left headlamp does not respond.

Tried to switch left headlamp to right side and right to left, now I got error codes on both sides: CEM-B103C87 and CEM-B103D87.
Switched back and got back to only error code on left side: CEM-B103C87.

Since I got quoted from one Volvo store on "abl unit + program" I thought that maybe some programming was needed (CEM-reload?) but had the car last week to another Volvo shop nearby where I live in the weekends, and they told me that there are no such thing for headlamps to program on this car since it´s so new (2015) and that the CEM should learn and "program" the new units itself?

Do you guys have any suggestions on what my problem could be? Or maybe someone have had the same problem and fault code?
Any suggestions on how to continue?

I also ordered another pair of headlamps (used) in case of that the problem lies in the headlamp itself, but then it´s odd that both sides get same faultcode when I try to switch places beween left and right. Maybe there´s also a problem in between CEM and the headlamps?
If that´s the case, How can I measure between lamp connector and CEM when CEM seems unreachable to measure? Do anyone have any readings from the headlamp connector (ohms, volts) that I could compare to?

Thank you all, this is such an annoying problem :/

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Now I’ve tried another pair of headlights.
Same faultcode: CEM-B103C87

Now I guess next is to check the connector and cables. Maybe compare with the other working side...

How can I access the CEM so I can get to the green connector?
By removing the glove compartment?

//R

·
Registered
273 Posts
You're right that the CEM is pretty buried under the glove compartment. You will find instructions on how to get in there with the blower fan tutorials, as the glove compartment and CEM both have to come out completely for that job.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got access to CEM.

Seems like the signal cable to ABL is broken for left headlight.
Between cem pin C1:19 and headlight connector pin 8

To be continued...

·
Registered
273 Posts
FWIW I had a very thin signal wire fail between my accelerator pedal and the ECM. I ran a bodge wire from the accelerator pedal to the ECM harness connector under the pass side headlight. I don't love the idea of a bodge wire but looking for a break in the harness buried under all that interior (dash, etc) and also running through the engine bay didn't excite me much either... Seemed like the best option and it's held up fine. No regrets.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New cable in place between pin 8 and c1:19.
Had to put the cable through the driver side as I couldn’t find any place near CEM.

No fault code in display and no fault code in VIDA.

Seems like the cable between pin 8 and C1:19 was broken somehow.

:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts