SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got 61k on my car. She drives wonderfully and you cannot feel any vibrations inside the car. IE., the driver seat has no vibrations and the passenger can't feel a thing.

I can, however, feel a very slight vibration in the steering wheel depending on various conditions. It's enough to make my left hand fall asleep pretty regularly on longer drives. My right hand is fine mind you.

But now I've read something recently in another thread about T6 S60s being somewhat prone to chewing up strut mounts. I have the Eurosport tuning strut brace my car and didn't notice anything odd when I installed it. This issue has been present since I bought the car last year. I was hoping the strut brace would help but it hasn't helped with this issue.

Curious what others might be experiencing and of course any input.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I've got 61k on my car. She drives wonderfully and you cannot feel any vibrations inside the car. IE., the driver seat has no vibrations and the passenger can't feel a thing.

I can, however, feel a very slight vibration in the steering wheel depending on various conditions. It's enough to make my left hand fall asleep pretty regularly on longer drives. My right hand is fine mind you.

But now I've read something recently in another thread about T6 S60s being somewhat prone to chewing up strut mounts. I have the Eurosport tuning strut brace my car and didn't notice anything odd when I installed it. This issue has been present since I bought the car last year. I was hoping the strut brace would help but it hasn't helped with this issue.

Curious what others might be experiencing and of course any input.
At what mph do you feel this vibration ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
573 Posts
Sounds more like "Repetitive Motion Injury" vs the car causing the issue. Try driving another car for the same length of time and see what happens. I can't hold a phone up to my ear for 5 minutes without it going asleep. Had surgery on right hand no issue there. Any other time the hand falls asleep?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds more like "Repetitive Motion Injury" vs the car causing the issue. Try driving another car for the same length of time and see what happens. I can't hold a phone up to my ear for 5 minutes without it going asleep. Had surgery on right hand no issue there. Any other time the hand falls asleep?
Nope. I drive my wife's car all the time (2017 Subie Outback) with no issues at all. :-(

I feel pretty confident it's the vibrations causing the issue. They're high-ish frequency as far as steering wheel vibes go.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Doesn't sound like a strut mount to me. Usually the symptom of a failing strut mount is creaking/groaning during low-speed turns (as in a car park).

As others have suggested, could be an aftermarket wheel if you don't have hubcentric rings or you might just need a road force balance for the tires and wheels.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Are you resting your arm against anything? Maybe your elbow on the door arm rest? That could use more padding. I don't see how vibrations can cause your arm to fall asleep. Usually that's caused by restricted blood flow.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Doesn't sound like a strut mount to me. Usually the symptom of a failing strut mount is creaking/groaning during low-speed turns (as in a car park).

As others have suggested, could be an aftermarket wheel if you don't have hubcentric rings or you might just need a road force balance for the tires and wheels.
Ok, thanks for that. I'll rule out strut mounts for now. I have stock Sleipnir 18" wheels. Got new tires last year and they were rfb'd.

I'll keep doing some detective work both in reality and in my head to see what it could be.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Ok, thanks for that. I'll rule out strut mounts for now. I have stock Sleipnir 18" wheels. Got new tires last year and they were rfb'd.

I'll keep doing some detective work both in reality and in my head to see what it could be.

If you have new wheels then you need a hub centric ring. Call the wheel company and they should sell you one or you can buy off eBay or amazon. 63.4 diameter but just verify with the wheel company or dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Nope. I drive my wife's car all the time (2017 Subie Outback) with no issues at all. :-(

I feel pretty confident it's the vibrations causing the issue. They're high-ish frequency as far as steering wheel vibes go.
Tires Balanced and Rotated? Alignment Any time Recently?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Depending on the amount/severity of vibrations you may just be feeling the road. If your tires are unevenly warm (alignment issue caused) it will also cause vibrations similar to a bent rim (or it could be a bent rim).

Do you mean refurbished tires?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Depending on the amount/severity of vibrations you may just be feeling the road. If your tires are unevenly warm (alignment issue caused) it will also cause vibrations similar to a bent rim (or it could be a bent rim).

Do you mean refurbished tires?
No they're not refurbished. They're stock 18" Sleipnir. They were pretty beaten up though when I bought the car, mainly curb rash or so I've thought. I did some cosmetic "refurb" to them a while back, just painting over the more severe rash.

But a bent rim would be a good guess. Wouldn't road force balancing mitigate the effect from a bent rim though?

Also, if it were a bent rim it would have to be one of the front tires, no? So if I rotated the effect should go away unless I have a bent rim in the rear too.

Pretty sure my alignment ok. Had it done by a reputable Volvo indie in the area, was then double checked by a reputable shop who mounted my new tires last year.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Are you resting your arm against anything? Maybe your elbow on the door arm rest? That could use more padding. I don't see how vibrations can cause your arm to fall asleep. Usually that's caused by restricted blood flow.
I'll second the blood flow line-of-thought...

Depending on what you're wearing, the bulk (or bunching-up) of your clothing could be causing a restriction in the armpit or crook of the arm? If the hand position on the wheel is even slightly above the level of your heart, the combined effects can lead to numbness.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts