SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,125 Posts
Re: (Eric_H)

Well, I am sure compatible LED replacement bulbs could be had, but I am not sure they would look good.

I know in my MB days, most cars had a "bulb out" sensor and indicator in the dash, much like our R's do. Most LED's don't draw that much current and set off the bulb out indicatior ... can be overcome with resistors wired in line.

· Registered
1,125 Posts
Re: (Sjappi)

I think t6tim is on the right track here (thanx for the pics, seriously
) . The idea would be to dremel into the back of an S60 housing without seperating the lens from the reflector. As someone mentioned, they are vibration welded together, and acrylic is very brittle. Seperating the 2 parts and furthermore, joining them back together effectively may prove to be too much of a challenge.

While you would need to cut open the back of the reflector with the dremel scenario, putting it all together and making it look factory through a clear lens like we have, would be delicate. With some silver or chome paint and maybe a little foil, I bet this would be the best way to make a first attempt at this mod.

· Registered
1,125 Posts
Re: (Cicada)

It IS clear in the sense that there are no optics on the lens (that is what I meant). All the optics (light directing properties) are built into the reflector. As clear headlight lens techology was developed in the early 90's, it was known as "reflector optics"
. They removed all the unsightly lines and resultant interior angle cuts and used the reflector to focus the light instead. As a result, you can see right into our taillight housings through the lens, so any mod you made to the housings would have to be really clean.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.