SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally got my old city light bulb out. Yay! I put the new one in. It was a little tight, but oh well. Yay!

...Turned on the car. Nothing. Okay, so it's polar and I put it in backwards. Tried to pull it back out........ and HALF of the LED assembly is stuck in the hole where the city light goes. :mad: :eek: :facepalm:

What do I do?? Is it "safe" to open this thing? Looks like there's some sort of sealing stuff around where the plastic backing meets the front of the headlight assembly... How do I get this piece of LED out? There's nothing to grab with pliers. :(

EDIT: ARGH!!! I just realized, I installed the FOOTWELL BULB into the CITY LIGHT bulb socket!!! :( :( :(

Still... How do I get that bulb out? Please help... :-\ Can someone with VIDA access send a screenshot of some section that involves actually opening the headlight assembly? If I could get the clear front of the assembly off, I could (VERY carefully) push the stuck LED through the hole and then just order another (for the FOOTWELL). I have the two actual city lights and they look like they will fit just fine. I just seriously screwed up...

·
Registered
658 Posts
Can you post some pics?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
My suggestions would be to get a dental tool - like a scaler that has a bit of a hook to it - like below

Or fashion yourself tool - you may want to try a paper clip - or a long fishing hook - solid copper wire... trying to think of things I might have around to use ( ?)

It looks like you have a little room to work the hook around the open areas between the side firing LEDs - (4 spots)
Use the hook to pull - ever so slightly - a little bit in each open area and walk it out slowly.
Take your time - don't apply any forward pressure or you will pop it through -

Best of luck to you

·
Super Moderator
15,179 Posts
I have the footage, yet to edit it, but I am working on a video that explains how to take apart the headlight assembly. It won't be as detailed as my other videos, more of an explanation video.

But yes, if need be, you can pop the four metal clips around the cover lens, then heat and CAREFULLY pry apart the clear lens from the rest of the assembly. It's not hard (I've done it 4 times on the pair), but you have to be very careful not to break anything and you must properly reseal the headlight afterwards.

·
Super Moderator
15,179 Posts
or pop it through and take out the hibeam bulb to give it a bigger hole to fall through
There's an idea, pop out the high beam bulb and then using your little finger or something, push the LED out from the inside (push it from the surface seen here)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like that idea, popping it through and then getting it back out via the hibeam or xenon hole. Just how delicate is the reflective material? I heard it can flake off easily; will I be damaging it?

I'm just trying to weigh the options - buy a dental tool and try that (probably wouldn't work), versus push it through and get it back out via the high beam.

Still kicking myself for making such a stupid mistake. I should never have pushed it in as soon as I felt resistance, and I really should have double-checked the bulb type before jamming it in there. :(

I'm leaning towards just pushing it through, thanks for suggesting it. Won't have time to try it until tonight (~9 hours from now).

·
Registered
998 Posts
Try that dental tool method first. It might actually work, and save you the time of dismantling your headlight..

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks guys! I tried the pushing-it-through method. Removed the high beam light with a simple twist and pull; held the headlight pointing up, and the curve was such that the city light would just fall right through the high beam hole in theory. A simple tap of a screwdriver on the LED pushed it through the hole and it immediately fell through the high beam hole, and then a simple shake and it fell out.

Then I put the high beam back into place, put the correct LED in, tested it on my car, and then actually pushed it into the hole and of course it fit without problem. Then, I did the same on the other side.

Looks like I overreacted; but as I might have said before, I don't know that I would've thought of pushing it through without you guys. Thanks, thebracko!!

Now to go order a replacement for this broken LED...

Edit: by the way, here are a couple pictures of it. It's not very bright, but I'm okay with that; it's better than having no light, and it's certainly better than having a halogen light next to my xenon low beam... (the second picture doesn't even look like a xenon light, but that's my phone camera, I don't have a good camera...)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts