SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am wanting to replace some of the outside bulbs on our XC90 with led's, namely for now any 194 bulbs. Is this going to cause me any grief? So far I have found that the tag lights, the front "courtesy" lights and a turn signal bulb on the front use the 194, so I was going to replace them. I think my puddle lamps on the mirrors may be burned out at the moment, so I may replace them too if they use the 194. Any thoughts?

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So i have replaced my tag lights, the driver side puddle lamp, and 4 bulbs in the front lamp assemblies with 194 led replacements. Since none of these are part of the turn signals there is no adverse effect on flasher operation. One small note, the 2 bulbs I replaced in each headlamp assembly remain very dimly or at all times. I locked the car up and am going to see if they eventually go out.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You just pop the mirror glass loose and then there is a tab to pop the light loose and replace the bulb. I have to do the passenger side, I will try to get pics when I do.

·
Registered
11 Posts
In my Jetta it was a matter of pulling on one of the edges until you felt like you were going to break it and then pulling some more until the circular clip glued to the back of the glass poped free of the center. In theory you could work it from both sides and be less likely to break it but it seemed like a tough piece of glass

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
The driver side outside park light in the headlight assembly went out on ours. It's a W5W wedge type bulb. Is that the same as your 194? What LED did you get and where? I was looking and there are so many varieties and seemingly questionable quality. IPD has Flosser brand (German). I was hoping I'd find some with CREE chips but anyone's guess if they do.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I believe that is one i replaced. I recommend an amber led for that. I used clear on mine, but i bought a lot of 20 clears because i have multiple projects for them. The will give a better color behind the lense.

04 3500 LB7 C&C
We move Portable Buildings!

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I believe that is one i replaced. I recommend an amber led for that. I used clear on mine, but i bought a lot of 20 clears because i have multiple projects for them. The will give a better color behind the lense.

04 3500 LB7 C&C
We move Portable Buildings!
Since one of my park lights was out I ordered W5W/194 LED to replace in pairs to keep sane white balanced side to side. On your suggestion I decided to keep the incandescent bulb out in the amber position. And used the new white LEDs for the front facing position behind the clear/white reflector. Well something odd is the driver side puts out a low voltage, even when off, that is sufficient to dimly light the LEDs in the left lens assembly. I tested it and sure enough 9.74v to the socket. Did you encounter something similar? The right side turns off completely. This was never a problem with the standard incandescent the filament probably provided enough resistance to prevent the 9.74v to light the bulb. :confused:

These are the LED I ordered:
194 LED Light bulb, Yorkim® 2015 Newest, 5th Generation, Interior Lights for W5W 194 168 2... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JRE38EA/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_pn-5vbKDBS7AZ

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, mine does that. If you give it several minutes it will go out. There is a small amount of voltage bleeding off for some reason. On an incandescent bulb, it probably sucks that juice out immediately, but with the lower consumption rate of the led's, it takes some time.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Yes, mine does that. If you give it several minutes it will go out. There is a small amount of voltage bleeding off for some reason. On an incandescent bulb, it probably sucks that juice out immediately, but with the lower consumption rate of the led's, it takes some time.

Yup, verified it in the morning and it was completely dark. I had done it before going to bed and wasn't sure if I should leave it or not. Figured low current draw wouldn't hurt at 9.74v (figuring at most 1W with 14v would be at most 70mA, surely other systems on board draw more while car is off).

Good to see it's just a residual charge that fades - wonder if I should add a resister to burn it off more quickly though - looks kind of goofy. Have you timed how long it lasts?

·
Registered
13 Posts
What's the process for popping the glass off? I'd be afraid of breaking it. Pics or videos would certainly be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Just follow the jellyvolvo instruction and u be fine just pop out the glass it won't brake and u will see inside the puddle light and switch it to whatever color u like, i have the led and its looks neat at night, I bought them on ebay 20 pieces for $6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
I swapped out the puddle lights last night. Two things:

1. Don't try to pry these out from the bottom :(

2. I went the route of removing the glass for the second mirror and worked beautifully. Driving today and I notice the glass vibrating. It is physically attached and not going anywhere but damn is that vibrating annoying! When reinstalling, I noticed the two white ribbons that I didn't really take time to understand and just sort of stuffed them in a crevice. Could that be the cause of the vibrating? Do they secure somewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.