SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided I want to upgrade my fog lights the question is do I go with yellow HIDs or yellow leds. Would love to hear what some other people have tried and liked.

Also thinking of upgrading my reverse lights. Any recommendations? I found Hid reverse lights but maybe I'd be better off with leds. But I think if I went with leds I need resistors to avoid bulb out errors. Just need something better than stock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have upgraded halogen reverse lights, they are nice and bright. LEDs are more for looks. For my fogs, right now I have yellow halogen H1 bulbs, but I'm considering going to LED by retrofitting the new Type U fogs into my housings. See www.theretrofitsource.com for details. They are 70mm and should pop in where the factory reflector bowl is.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Back when I had an '01 S40, I put in LED reverse bulbs and they were nice and bright!! Bluer than I'd have liked, but bright. Also NO bulb out warning with them. I'm not sure how correct this is, but I've heard that the fog lights are not connected to the bulb out warning system... I'm thinking of going LED bulbs for my H1's as well. Curious how they will shine through the LamineX yellow film covers I have over my lenses.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are the fog lights hooked up to the bulb failure system or not? The bulb out n indicator would drive me crazy

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Like I said, I'm not totally sure. It was just something I had read earlier this year when researching and reading up on the problem that 2004.5 and up S40s have a pulse width modulating signal going to the headlights and how to fix that to allow running HID headlights. There was a mention that the foglights (and maybe the high beams too?) aren't part of the bulb out warning system. Headlights ARE for sure part of that system however. I know that other misc bulbs like the license plate bulbs for example are not part of the bulb out warning. I've swapped mine out for LED which are not CANBUS compatible, and have no issues.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm interesting I guess the only way to really know if it's connected would be to take bulb out and see if I get an error

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
True but even so if it is
resistor\decoder or canceller or whatever you would like to call it would take care of that issue

·
Registered
191 Posts
The foglights on our cars are not monitored by any BOW system, so LEDs will not cause an issue. They will cause lots of glare to oncoming drivers though, unless you do a proper retrofit of an LED foglight into the housings. If you just stick an LED bulb in there it will cause glare and wash out your foreground which has the effect of killing your long distance vision.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
hids are a disaster in the fogs. I tried it, and went back to halogen.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have upgraded halogen reverse lights, they are nice and bright. LEDs are more for looks. For my fogs, right now I have yellow halogen H1 bulbs, but I'm considering going to LED by retrofitting the new Type U fogs into my housings. See www.theretrofitsource.com for details. They are 70mm and should pop in where the factory reflector bowl is.
I was also thinking about upgrading my foglight with the type u fogs. If you end up doing this please post pics, Id love to see how you do it.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I haven't decided what I wanna do yet. Saw another member on here that likes his yellow HIDs and the cost to go to leds is too high. I barely use the fogs since fog in my area is so thick it doesn't make much of a difference

·
Registered
27 Posts
Negative. Both of my fog lights went out last month. Don't know why. It seems odd that both would go out simultaneously. Anyway, the only warning I get is when I try to turn on the fog lights.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I bit the bullet and ordered some H1 LEDs. Not the full low-beam headlight intended type with the built-in fans and such, but the ones that are recommended for fog lights or high beam that simply plug and play. High power CREE LED elements inside. It's a 5000K color bulb however, so I'm curious how that'll look through the yellow lens films I have on.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I bit the bullet and ordered some H1 LEDs. Not the full low-beam headlight intended type with the built-in fans and such, but the ones that are recommended for fog lights or high beam that simply plug and play. High power CREE LED elements inside. It's a 5000K color bulb however, so I'm curious how that'll look through the yellow lens films I have on.
Love to see some pics when after the install

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I knew someone that ordered similar type LED bulbs for their Subaru WRX. I gotta find out how they worked out. The heat dispersers on those kinda weird me out, lol! The LEDs I got are Opt7 brand. Their true high output LED kit seems to be one of the best I've researched and would be what I get if I go LED in my lowbeams.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I knew someone that ordered similar type LED bulbs for their Subaru WRX. I gotta find out how they worked out. The heat dispersers on those kinda weird me out, lol! The LEDs I got are Opt7 brand. Their true high output LED kit seems to be one of the best I've researched and would be what I get if I go LED in my lowbeams.
Yeah definitely should find out if they work or not. Let me know what you come up with!

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Installed this weekend! I like the color of the 6000K LED shining through the deep yellow Lamin-X film covers, but despite being CREE XB-D LEDs, it's slightly dimmer than the OEM halogen H1s. Also the beam pattern is a little bit different since the bulb shield had to be pushed up a little bit to accommodate the longer bulb. Over all a successful install. Pic below of the LED lit foglights... And just to confirm, NO bulb out warning. :cool:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts