SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to get a conversation going as it relates to an HID alternative. As we're all well aware HID's have a nasty habit of rendering our wipers useless, sporadically working, etc. Refer to 'theshadow27' threadhttp://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?135645-Aftermarket-HID-Data-If-you-have-installed-a-kit-read-this.

Seems as though LED technology is finally starting to catch up to the automotive world. We've seen it on expensive high-end cars but we're now seeing such tech on lower-end cars such as the new 2014 Corolla. Here's a few photos of such lighting on the Corolla, which is impressive to say the least:

Link http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/377-11th-generation-2014/602249-photos-front-lights.html

The million dollar question is could drop-in kits provide HID light quality without the energy spikes that render our wiper motors useless?

Here's an example of a LED drop-in kit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pair-H7-1800LM-25W-COB-6000K-CREE-LED-CXA1512-chips-LED-headlight-LED-fog-lamp-/151096593928?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item232e0f0e08&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'm planning to place such LED bulbs instead of a HIDkit. Only they cost 65€ (50W LED bulb) so I'm still unsure... If it doesn't give enough light, its 65€ wasted...

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
That drop in kit on ebay is interesting, though the one pic where the guy is holding the bulb with it on makes it look kind of weak...

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I think anything will give off more light than the factory halogens....
I out a pair off eBay in there for $12 and now my lights are way brighter and they're white! Still the halo bulbs.
I want a pair of LED's just to try out though. Just find an H11 LED bulb...

·
Registered
7,442 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
As you can see with the example, that you need a little fan to cool down the LED. And then they get HOT, question is how hot? Since the headlight already is quite compact and has poor air circulation.

But I would differently try a real LED light in the high beam, but so far my Xenon lamp in the high beam already throws out about 3800lm. So I'll be waiting until it comes out at least a 50W led light. Then I'd buy it straight away! If you could change the high beam housing in to a projector, then the 25W LED light may have a chance against a xenon conversion kit in the high beam.
And its much better efficiency then a Xenon lamp also, so with time it will be a win win situation.

·
Super Moderator
15,277 Posts
You can't just put H11 LED bulbs into your headlights and have them work. The car will throw a low beam bulb failure error because they don't draw the expected amount of power.

Also, the plug and play bulbs are VERY weak.

I'm not sure about the new technology out there, but I imaging fitting something like that in our cars will require just as much wiring as an HID kit. Though, yes, LEDs would be a cooler and safer alternative to aftermarket HIDs. Just don't expect it to be any easier.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The new LED Headlights Audi, Toyota are selling are way less bright than Xenon heaflights.
They are up to 2000Lumens only, that's why they do not need headlamp washer & auto leveling.

This LED bubs from the link won't give enought light.

There are some new LED bulbs with higher wattage with headsink that might be able to offer around 2000 Lumens (still less than Xenon)

The only doubt I have so far is about the light cut off. It might not be as good as the one using halogen or xenon bulbs, just because of the way the LED technology works in a headlight designed to be used with halogen/Xenon bulbs.

·
Registered
325 Posts
The LED bulbs are made for foglights, thus those can be replaced directly and don't gives errors. But for the headlights they now make LED lights but like HID they have a little box.
So placing the LED bulbs is actually the same as for HID, so it isn't easier or harder.

This is a H7 kit sold in Netherlands for about 80€ (+/- 108 $)

As you can see, you have the LED bulb, a little fan to cool the led, and then a small box, i think thats the resistor or something like that

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't want this thread to be misconstrued as an inquiry to ease of installation.

The real question is will LED drop-in applications provide increased lumens from our standard halogens and not run similar risks/issues of an HID alternative.

As a point of comparison, does anyone have an idea what the average lumen rating is of our halogen headlamps?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don't want this thread to be misconstrued as an inquiry to ease of installation.

The real question is will LED drop-in applications provide increased lumens from our standard halogens and not run similar risks/issues of an HID alternative.

As a point of comparison, does anyone have an idea what the average lumen rating is of our halogen headlamps?
LED can be more bright than halogen but still less than HID.

LED has also some disadvantages as they need headsink & fan to lower the bulb temperature.

And by the way there are HID that are completely safe for the wiper motor, that problems was solved time ago.
(you just can not use any regular HID, needs to be a speacial one made to avoid the wiper motor damage or an OEM HID)

The LED LeemansJ is showing are already provide higher lumens towards the halogen bulbs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.