SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One of my fog lights is out, and although I'm sure I can get the halogen bulb replaced under the safe+secure program I am tempted to replace both halogens with LED bulbs. (it would be a better color match with my bi-xenon HIDs)

The factory bulb is an H8 35-watt unit; EDITED - note that the Owner's Manual says 55 watt, but I took it off and sure enough it is 35 watt. I've done some searching and am a little confused as to what LED to put in (68 SMD? 120 SMD? CREE?) and whether I need to install some sort of resistor.

Has anyone put in an LED fog lamp into a C70, C30 or S40?

Or, if not, any recommendations on a "whiter" halogen bulb replacement (H8, 35w)?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
gave up on LEDs, put in blue halogens instead

Well, I gave up on the LED bulbs as all I could locate seemed to have low lumens. According to Sylvania, the H8 35w halogens put out 800 lumens. I had trouble finding lumen ratings for H8 LED bulbs, but the best I could find was around 600 lumens. I know it's a fog light, but I do not want to cut my light output by 25% or more -- can't do that to my aging eyes. If anyone can point me to a high lumen output H8 LED bulb, I'd be happy to try it out.

I could do an HID conversion, but my time is at a premium for the next few months.

So, I picked up a pair of inexpensive "xenon-like" halogen bulbs, "Vision X" brand. The manufacturer says that they have a color temp of 4300K, which is whiter/bluer than the standard halogens and supposedly closer to the HIDs. Does anyone know the color temp (Kelvin) of the stock bi-xenon HIDs?

The Vision X bulbs are definitely whiter than the stock halogens but do not perfectly match the bi-xenon HIDs. They're close enough, and I'm pleased. What do you guys think - see pic below:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Looks good to me. Are the VisionX a Sylvania bulb? I have halogens all around and I was thinking of upgrading to the Silverstar Ultras. I have them in my truck and they are a noticeable improvement from stock.
Also, thanks for your response to me on the octane reduction question. I used a tank of 89 and lost my zip!! Back to 93 for me!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are the VisionX a Sylvania bulb? I have halogens all around and I was thinking of upgrading to the Silverstar Ultras.
I don't know... there was no writing or any lettering on them. They came in a Vision X rigid plastic clamshell package and were made in China. Maybe try their website: http://visionxsuperstore.com/

I had the Silverstars on my prior car (headlights AND fogs) and really liked them. But, I could not find them in the H8 35w bulb size for the fogs. If you do, let me know!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Gosh darn it!!! That car looks GOOD without the front tag! Stupid Texas laws!!! :(

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks coach. And, I look at the pic and see that I need to do a better job in removing wax residue from the phillips head screws into the bumper... car came with a front plate holder already so I left the mounting screws on rather than have two holes.

Mass. went to front and back plates almost 20 years ago, but if you had a single (green lettered) plate you were grandfathered. I keep expecting a revenue enhancement mandate to remove the grandfathering and force me to get a front plate, but for now I'll never turn mine in.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was at a dealer today and I saw that a 2013 C70 with the Premier Plus package comes with the LED fog lights. The black plastic cover around them is somewhat different, with a chrome strip along the bottom edge. It looks like they're using the same LED fogs and covers from the Inscription model.

So, this means that it should be fairly simple to retrofit my 2011 with the 2013 LED fog lamps. I'm not keen on the new cover with the chrome trim, but the lamp housing itself looks exactly the same size. Now, I need to find some part numbers. I've looked all over volvopartswebstore.com but could not find any parts for the 2013 (maybe too early for that).

Any Volvo technicians or parts counter guys reading this who can provide some part numbers? I'd be looking for the lamp and potentially connectors (though maybe they're the same). I suppose I could be convince to add the cover with the chrome trim, but I'm less inclined to do so.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I priced the new Volvo LED lights at the dealership, they were a little over 200 each. I thought that was a bit ridiculous.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
$200 per lamp is steep but internet prices may be lower - did you happen to get a part number for the lights?

Here's a pic I took at the dealer:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts