SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

LED Bulbs for V60

15K views 77 replies 23 participants last post by  Almaz 
#1 ·
Can someone chime in if they have done a swap to get an led bulb in the license plate holder.

There are a few threads about it but nothing recently and a couple of the links to sites are dead or no longer stocked. I'm after a nice white light and not one of those super-bright bulbs you can see from a mile away.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Eurosporttuning has a nice tested set for 2011+ but hasn't tested them on the recently updated model - I know because I have and really like their set for my VR and asked because was also quite disappointed in all the incandescents in our '16 V60.

#8 ·
Can someone chime in if they have done a swap to get an led bulb in the license plate holder.

There are a few threads about it but nothing recently and a couple of the links to sites are dead or no longer stocked. I'm after a nice white light and not one of those super-bright bulbs you can see from a mile away.

Thanks in advance.

I got these from Amazon back in April and I'm very happy with them. They look perfect. Not cheap but very good; they have a heat sink in the back. I later got another pair and used one for the trunk light. Too bad the glove compartment light is a bit shorter.
Also got these for the puddle lights. They are ok. Better than OEM but not great. If someone around me wants a couple I'd be happy to give them.
Also got the Osram headlight bulbs and am very happy with them.
Hope this helps.

#9 ·
I am totally doing the headlights and the license plate lights you've recommended here. Nice worj and a great summation of what you liked and didn't like.
Thank you!
Greg

#10 ·
I am totally doing the headlights and the license plate lights you've recommended here. Nice work and a great summation of what you liked and didn't like.
Thank you!
Greg
Since we are on the topic:

I tried these rear turn signal bulbs and 1) they were not any brighter than OEM and 2) they were flashing rapidly as if there was a bulb out so I returned them.

I also have the IPD LED DLRs and I love them. They look awesome. The one side lost one LED early on and I got it replaced under warranty.

#11 · (Edited)
Just purchased these for my V60RD: https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/festoon/3610-led-can-bus-bulb-1-led-festoon/1266/2939/

Picked these over others due to their 2 year warranty - I've had so many ebay/amazon lights die on me within the first year...

I'll report back with pics after I get them.

On a separate note, anyone know the replacement bulb # for the footwell lights? Would like to upgrade those to a whiter LED as well.

Can we just get a Sticky going for all LED replacement bulbs?

#13 · (Edited)
These are the LED bulbs I bought from https://www.powerbulbs.com. Direct replacement.

3 x Philips Xtreme Vision 360 LED W5W T10 for interior
2 x Philips X-treme Vision Festoon 43mm LED C5W for glove compartment and boot

Need resistors and it does NOT work:
Front Direction Indicators (PWY24W)
Rear Direction indicators (PY21W LL)
Brake Light (P21W LL)
Rear Fog Lamp (H21 W LL)

#33 · (Edited)
yea I was wondering about those resistors ! I bought a set for the main interior lights & they wouldn't turn off completely it freaked out my dash lights & made them super dim...so I took them out.

anybody bought the viva kit ??? its really more money than I want to spend since I only want the front & rear dome lights

http://www.vivaperformance.com/led-bulb-upgrade-kit-volvo-s60-v60/

also where can I buy the blue blub holders @ other than going to Volvo ??

#20 ·
Not a silly question at all. I asked myself the same question and the answer was you wouldn't. It does not make sense to make it easier to see.
But I couldn't resist how much better and more modern it looks :)
An added benefit is it sheds light on the ground when you access the trunk at night.

#22 ·
#27 ·
Yes.

The interesting thing with them is the strange purple/blue dots that it projects onto the pavement below. The certainly provide a nice amount of light onto the side of the car and the surrounding area.

This has been mentioned before by others.

#30 ·
Yes.

The interesting thing with them is the strange purple/blue dots that it projects onto the pavement below. The certainly provide a nice amount of light onto the side of the car and the surrounding area.

This has been mentioned before by others.

I got those too a while back and they do project those strange purple/blue dots. That's why I'm not too crazy about them but they are still better than OEM

#32 ·
Hi,

I took a small chance and ordered a bunch of LED's from China. For that price, it's hard to go wrong, only the wait (2 to 3 weeks) can be annoying sometimes. Installed most of them by now, and I'm happy yo say they all work brilliantly (pun intended!). Didn't do the puddle lights yet, but will do so this weekend, when the rain has stopped. Also the footwell and inside door lights don't need replacement, they seem to be LED already and in case of the footwell lights they shouldn't be too bright anyway, since these stay on (dimmed) at night.

I ordered two sets from AliExpress: these for the license plate, and these for the interior.

Photos will follow ;)

Marco

#37 ·
After you tilt the mirror up were you able to locate the indented tab area? I used a flashlight and then inserted a flat screwdriver and slowly applied consistent pressure and the could feel the actual light enclosure popping free.

It took a little doing with consistent for pressure and it pops out.

#38 ·
After you tilt the mirror up were you able to locate the indented tab area? I used a flashlight and then inserted a flat screwdriver and slowly applied consistent pressure and the could feel the actual light enclosure popping free.

It took a little doing with consistent for pressure and it pops out.

The sides might not be identical. When I did mine the passenger side was easy but the driver side was a pain. I had to apply a lot of pressure to pop it out.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

#39 ·
Swapped my plate lights and puddle lights today.

You can see the difference in the OE and LED plate lamp above.

Changed my interior dome lights too, however, I get a faint glow when they are off. I may try to just solder a resistor onto one of the bulb holders to see if that cures it.

Bulbs were all Amazon specials (canbus) for $20 incl. shipping to Canada.

#40 ·
Sigh...

I'm about to give in on the puddle lights. Yes I can see the clip to release, but I can apply all the pressure I want, as most downward as possible, but it won't pop out. I can see the light enclosure move a bit, but that's about it. Next I tries to remove the mirror to get more downward force, but that won't come off either :eek: All the videos I've seen make it look easy, well, not here! I've stopped at the point where I thought "Something is going to break soon". Annoyed to bits, but I'll leave it as it is for now. One relief: I hardly ever use the puddle lights. But still...hate to give in...

#43 ·
Pfew...got it!

With a bit of anger management :D

Popping off the mirror from the bottom side did the trick. After that popping out the light enclosure is a breeze. Now I have the blue dots as well. Relieved. A big thank you to all who responded!

And now...I need a beer...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.