SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My husband and I leave for Gothenburg from Norfolk, VA (via Newark and Copenhagen) on September 8th! It is our first OSD trip and his first Volvo. We got a 2012 C30 in the regular black and added the Premiere Plus package plus some smaller things here and there. We've both been to Europe a few times, but never together, so this will be fun!! My husband was born in Germany and lived there for the first 5 years of his life, so he's excited to go back to "the motherland." Mainly because his only memory involves a chocolate factory. Our hotel arrangements have been booked and paid for, so there isn't much we can do to change our itinerary, but here it is:

Sept. 8th: Fly out of Norfolk to Newark to Copenhagen to Gothenburg
Sept. 9th: Arrive in Gothenburg approximately 9AM local time, check into hotel, freshen up and make a pilgrimage to IKEA!!! (Don't judge me, I'm obsessed.) Probably just grab lunch there, or somewhere around the hotel. I need some assistance with the dinner planning. It is a Sunday and I've noticed a lot of the top restaurants are closed! So any advice would be great! Please keep in mind I'm allergic to ALL shellfish and peanut products, and I'd really prefer not to go into anaphylactic shock on my vacation.
Sept. 10th: PICK UP!!! Then take the Stena Ferry to Kiel (I used the on-line code "Volvo" when I booked and saved 20 Euros!)
Sept. 11th: Arrive in Kiel and drive to Brussels. Check-in and grab dinner and tour the grande place.
Sept. 12th: Load up on Belgian waffles and drive to Paris. Check into hotel and make the trek to Sacre Couer for dinner (our favorite view in Paris)
Sept. 13th: Paris
Sept. 14th: Paris
Sept. 15th: Disneyland!
Sept. 16th: Wake up early and make the very long drive to Berlin, check into hotel late.
Sept. 17th: Tour Berlin
Sept. 18th: Drive to Hamburg and tour the city, turn in our car
Sept. 19th: Fly out of Hamburg to Copenhagen to Dulles, land in Norfolk around 6PM EST

Any suggestions would be great!

·
Registered
347 Posts
"I need some assistance with the dinner planning. It is a Sunday and I've noticed a lot of the top restaurants are closed! So any advice would be great! Please keep in mind I'm allergic to ALL shellfish and peanut products, and I'd really prefer not to go into anaphylactic shock on my vacation."

I added this to the OSD Gothenburg region thread (page 6) recently. Many other restaurant comments can be found there.

Gothenburg restaurant suggestion: Wasa Alle (www.wasaalle.se) located about 17-20 minutes walking distance southwest
of the Radisson Blu. It is located in an older neighborhood of elegant Victorian apartment buildings. This would be a splurge
to experience daring combinations of favors and artistic presentations. Our meal centered around asparagus, Jerusalem
Artichokes and rhubarb in three quite different dishes. Beet powder coated marshmallow was a small bonus....I know it sounds wierd but we enjoyed the culinary creativity. About 800 SEK for 2 of us.....more reasonable than the traditional sea food places serving 650 SEK lobster or halibut entrees.

On our return to Gothenburg we found a small Italian restaurant called Teos Italienski Kok (Storgatan 7) that is about 15 minute walk southwest from the SAS Radisson. Affordable, delicious, and quiet. Nearby restaurants with outdoor seating were too crowded and noisy for us.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Sept. 9th: Arrive in Gothenburg approximately 9AM local time, check into hotel, freshen up and make a pilgrimage to IKEA!!! (Don't judge me, I'm obsessed.) Probably just grab lunch there, or somewhere around the hotel. I need some assistance with the dinner planning. It is a Sunday and I've noticed a lot of the top restaurants are closed! So any advice would be great! Please keep in mind I'm allergic to ALL shellfish and peanut products, and I'd really prefer not to go into anaphylactic shock on my vacation.
Sounds like a great trip. Smaka was a good choice for dinner (a short trolley ride away). Closer to the hotel is Soho (tries too hard to be "NY hip") and a little Indian place (name escapes me, out front door of hotel, first left, walk 1 short block, on right, can't miss it).

We asked for suggestions at the front desk... Of course, there is a Hard Rock a few blocks away :)

Driving in Paris was crazy, but I've driving in Philly, NYC, DC, and Italy before so survived. Our car got a lot of attention including one couple who had some wedding pictures taken with it as a backdrop (we stopped at the obelisk for some pictures) -- I even took a picture of them getting their picture taken.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. I will research those. Hard Rock is our fall back place :)

That's very cool about your car being in wedding pictures! Paris is probably the one city we're worried about driving in. Obviously, we will get to the hotel, park and leave it until it's time to depart for Berlin. We also have experience driving in Philly, NYC, DC and suburbs, and also Atlanta. I figure if we can get through Georgetown and the National Mall area during summer rush hours with relative ease, we should be okay.

·
Registered
107 Posts
We too ate at Smaka and it was very good. Another suggestion, if you are interested in a quick lunch, is the Gothenburg fish market. It is fresh, good, and relatively inexpensive.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Nice choices! Reminds me of my first OSD.
Enjoy!!

Driving in Germany:

Hamburg:

Paris (Versailles):

Paris:

Damn, OSD is fun!! Can't wait for the third one!

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Nice choices! Reminds me of my first OSD.
Enjoy!!

Driving in Germany:

Hamburg:

Paris (Versailles):

Paris:

Damn, OSD is fun!! Can't wait for the third one!
Nice........thanks for sharing!!!

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Thank you. I will research those. Hard Rock is our fall back place :)

That's very cool about your car being in wedding pictures! Paris is probably the one city we're worried about driving in. Obviously, we will get to the hotel, park and leave it until it's time to depart for Berlin. We also have experience driving in Philly, NYC, DC and suburbs, and also Atlanta. I figure if we can get through Georgetown and the National Mall area during summer rush hours with relative ease, we should be okay.
If you can survive driving in/around DC (or NYC), Paris won't be a problem.

We were in McD's fairly often while on the road but largely because they had free Wifi (using a Kindle Fire to make reservations); once inside we had to buy something (drinks more often than food).

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I have a 130MPH picture from the autobahn too!

I guess that's something everyone wants to memoralize.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Some other restaurant choices in Gothenburg are:

Sjobaren (Haga District)

Fiskekrogen

Bistro Merlot

Sense

·
Registered
19 Posts
Some other restaurant choices in Gothenburg are:

Sjobaren (Haga District)

Fiskekrogen

Bistro Merlot

Sense
We'd also highly recommend Fond, Stefan Karlsson's restaurant. It was just one of the best meals we've ever had (that in addition to the bill being within fifty kroner of Fiskekrogen).

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
130 MPH?! WOOOOO! I'm so excited for the autobahn! Your pictures are gorgeous, thanks for sharing!
Unfortunately that's where the limiter kicks in (at least for US Spec sedans).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey, what do y'all know about these German green zones? I was planning activities in Berlin and stumbled across the sticker requirements for Berlin- none of our other stops have that requirement and it is not required for the highway.

·
Registered
107 Posts
We were in Munich a couple of years back and the green zone sticker was required. We obtained our sticker at an auto repair shop just outside of Munich. They are inexpensive (5 Euro) but are required. I would poke around the Internet for the direction you are headed to see if there are listings for locations where you can get one on the way.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Hey, what do y'all know about these German green zones? I was planning activities in Berlin and stumbled across the sticker requirements for Berlin- none of our other stops have that requirement and it is not required for the highway.
Other cities have similar. Some country's highways have similar. Some highways require an e-z-pass type transponder (there's thread about OSD folks getting a ticket from Norway for not paying toll where there was transponder-only -- no toll collector).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, we are back! It was a great trip, but we are glad to be home. We missed our puppy :) We are already thinking about what to do for my XC60 or 90 in a few years! There were a few hiccups at the beginning. I got a call about 4 hours before we were to leave for the airport that our flight from Norfolk to Newark had been cancelled due to storms (tornadoes!) in NYC. But somehow, Richmond was flying to Newark still? I know, weird. So my mom was gracious enough to drive us their and we got on an earlier flight than planned. Rough landing into Newark though. I felt a little nauseated from that flight, but the SAS lounge helped :) While in the lounge, we learned that we had been taken off the manifest for the flight to Copenhagen, but got put back on. I was trying hard to get a free upgrade to Business/Econ Extra, because of our troubles, but I failed. The flight to Copenhagen was no good. What's with the 0 air vents above? My husband and I were dripping in sweat about an hour into it. When our dinner came, I took one look at it and got sick. Puking in an airplane lavatory is no fun, FYI. It was ridiculously hard to communicate with the flight attendants. I really need to keep the water coming, but it didn't. Finally, I wet some paper towels, stuck them under the cold air in the lavatory and put them on my neck and forehead and was able to sleep. The flight to Gothenburg was fantastic. It was only half-full so we got 2 seats each. When we landed in Gothenburg, we were hoping our ride would be there already. It wasn't, but we were early, so it didn't phase us. After half an hour, we got worried. We asked one driver and he told us to call the help line. Finally, after an hour, another driver came up to us and said his people didn't show up. He called the help line, and they said they were told we didn't make our flight, so they cancelled our ride. Our new driver was soooo nice though. We were blessed to have him. After that, everything went smoothly. The hotel was nice, and sleep was amazing. The day at Volvo was fantastic. Driving to all our locations was so easy. Berlin was our favorite stop. It was clean, safe and the history in that city is insane. I actually got a little emotional at the wall (I think I was just tired), thinking about all the historical events that happened right where I was standing. Even though I was only a toddler when the wall came down, it was still incredible to be there. We didn't get the green sticker. Apparently you can't get it on a Sunday, and the car was in the garage the whole time. We had no issues. The flights home were great. Just a note: the people at the Hamburg airport are not pleasant at 6 in the morning. Also, they wouldn't send our luggage all the way to Norfolk. So we had to go through customs in Dulles and then recheck in, during "rush hour". We made our gate with 5 minutes to spare. But, no sickness this time, so it's all good! So- here's us with our car! Can't wait to see it in a few weeks!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts