SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Disconnect the battery, for sure. When it comes time to start the car back up again, however, since all the oil would have found it's way into the oil pan, it is highly recommended you pour about 1 tablespoon of engine oil down each spark plug hole. Let it sit for about an hour or so, then remove the distributor cap, hook the battery back up, and let the engine turn over for about 15-20 seconds so that the oil pump can get the oil pressure up. Then, put the distributor cap back on and start it up.

-he who stacks pork

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by Leopold Porkstacker:
put the distributor cap back on and start it up.

-he who stacks pork
No distributor cap on his car...that would be additional...pork.

Yannis

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by GrecianVolvo:
No distributor cap on his car...that would be additional...pork.

Yannis

All that money and no distributor......

Just run the car short before you leave and make sure it's on temperature.
This should put a good oil film on all the engine parts.
You could loan a small charger to continious charge the battery from your garage, I think this is better because of all the electronics in the car. The device should keep the battery healthy but I don't know the English translation :)
After you get back just start the car but do NOT rev it. let it run idle for a while.
You can hear the ticking in the head for a while because of the hydraulic lifters but this should disappear in less than a miniute or so, no harm done.
Make sure that you do not put any load on the engine for at least a minute to let the oil go thru the engine and the bearings.
You could disconnect the battery but I am not sure if there are any electronics using a small battery which could drain.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have any outlets in my garage. Anything else that can work? Some of my friends told me not to disconnect the battery because of the electronics. It is alright to just let the battery sit there and drain for 4 months? Does the car consume that much power even when sitting in garage?

quote:

Originally posted by Johann:
All that money and no distributor......

Just run the car short before you leave and make sure it's on temperature.
This should put a good oil film on all the engine parts.
You could loan a small charger to continious charge the battery from your garage, I think this is better because of all the electronics in the car. The device should keep the battery healthy but I don't know the English translation :)
After you get back just start the car but do NOT rev it. let it run idle for a while.
You can hear the ticking in the head for a while because of the hydraulic lifters but this should disappear in less than a miniute or so, no harm done.
Make sure that you do not put any load on the engine for at least a minute to let the oil go thru the engine and the bearings.
You could disconnect the battery but I am not sure if there are any electronics using a small battery which could drain.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by Mr. T5:
I don't have any outlets in my garage. Anything else that can work? Some of my friends told me not to disconnect the battery because of the electronics. It is alright to just let the battery sit there and drain for 4 months? Does the car consume that much power even when sitting in garage?

What about the electronics? There is no danger...Definitely disconnect the battery as it will definitely be dead when you return.

As far as the oil draining from the upper part of the engine, that might be the case but if you use synthetic that should not be too much of a problem.

Ideally, you want to put the car on blocks or use two jacks and raise the car enough so that the tires are barely touching the floor.

Yannis

1 - 6 of 6 Posts