SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2020 V60 Cross Country
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else noticed what I assume is an aerodynamics side effect in their 2015 S/V60 that results is leaves accumulating in the hinge area of the hood?
Now that fall has arrived, both of our V60s are accumulating leaves, a lot of leaves, under the hood in the corners.

I am tempted to add some weatherstripping to solve the problem. Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
I really haven't owned a car where this doesn't happen; on the plus side since I've owned a P3 S60/V60 it hasn't been that bad. I give my car weekly baths and always pull them out.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I wouldn't bother adding weatherstripping.. Just remove them from time to time. Ever car I've ever owned had similar issues.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I really haven't owned a car where this doesn't happen; on the plus side since I've owned a P3 S60/V60 it hasn't been that bad. I give my car weekly baths and always pull them out.
I wouldn't bother adding weatherstripping.. Just remove them from time to time. Ever car I've ever owned had similar issues.
+1

·
Registered
71 Posts
+2
or
Leafblower on low setting or shop vac running backwards to blow of the leaves more gently works as well!
Nevertheess, kind of like the leaves, cool to see where you parked last or come home from a trip and remember your vacation with the wife by "remember that tree in Savannah" or the "big oak trees in Minnesota".

·
Registered
2020 V60 Cross Country
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
+2
or
Leafblower on low setting or shop vac running backwards to blow of the leaves more gently works as well!
Nevertheess, kind of like the leaves, cool to see where you parked last or come home from a trip and remember your vacation with the wife by "remember that tree in Savannah" or the "big oak trees in Minnesota".
OK, now that I like!

·
Registered
2020 V60 Cross Country
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now that I think about it, the last few cars I have had, the hood didn't go the the edge of the car so there was no place for them to get in really. Most recently the V50. I guess I will just learn to live with it. Small stuff as car complaints go.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I posted this last week, but is the V60 the same?

BODY PART
I have a 2012 S60 Pretty basic.

I have seen other S60's with a "Leaf Guard" at the hinged side of the hood.
I can't tell if they are 2006 or any between 2015.

It looks like perforated L shaped contour made out of plastic and stops the leaves and crap from sliding forward from the windshield into the engine compartment.
I noticed it because the W/W tubing was showing from a loose connection to the hood.

Can anyone look and see if they have the part and get a number off of it?
And how is it attached? With the same plug fittings as the W/W tubing?

Maybe it wasn't available on the 2012 and now from updated design?

Thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have never owned a car that collected leaves like this thing does. It is truly infuriating to me. I'm glad someone else is noticing it too and not doing the typical forum answer... "no I don't get any leaves, it must be your car only but my old [fill in the blank with Audi, BMW or any competing brand] was way worse."

·
Registered
24 Posts
Has anyone else noticed what I assume is an aerodynamics side effect in their 2015 S/V60 that results is leaves accumulating in the hinge area of the hood?
Now that fall has arrived, both of our V60s are accumulating leaves, a lot of leaves, under the hood in the corners.

I am tempted to add some weatherstripping to solve the problem. Thoughts?
Does the hood have the louvre/screed at the hinge side of the hood?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
just cut down your trees :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
I noticed it too on my v60cc and I already cut down the tree by the driveway!

....and my old A4 was not worse! (don't even remember any under the hood)

·
Registered
85 Posts
I should have added that I have already pulled out leaves that were half in the side of the hood so it seemed they were coming in that way

·
Registered
127 Posts

You beat me to it; I was going to post this also. I've never in my 21 years of driving, seen these many leaves stuck in the edge of the hood. Even after going through the car wash and having it blow dried by 12 high pressured driers, and driving on the highway (following the posted speed limit), they still stick to my hood like dead love-bugs in Florida.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
The smaller leaves are a bonus PIA to remove. I've already broken some of the insulating foam on the passenger side where it is screwed/bolted in--you need to pull it up to get some leaves out and the inevitable happened.

I can't believe I'm contributing to this thread...:facepalm:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Same here, usually after a car wash, I'll pop the hood and pull out 20-30 little leaves. I already ripped the insulating foam on the Driver's side. Time to call my arborist.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Time to call my arborist.
LOL, I took down an old oak tree that was too close to my driveway because the acorns where denting the roof and hood of my cars. At least the leaves don't seem to be of any consequence. The same thing happens to our MB SLK only they plug up the drain to the battery compartment. On a few occasions I've found the battery sitting in about 4 inches of water!

·
Registered
2020 V60 Cross Country
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Yes your picture is exactly what I have been seeing!
Yes, exactly. And thank you all for confirming that I am not crazy (at least in this case).

So, the question is, where are they coming in? I can't see them all coming in the edges of the hood.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I don't know. My wife's XC60 doesn't have that problem. The hood lines almost look identical.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts