SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven’t had leatherette seats since the 70’s, and I have a strong bias against them. My predisposition is that they are cheap feeling and hot. After my first couple of cars with “leatherette” back in the day, it was was all I could afford, I went with cloth. Then, in the 90’s began choosing leather and every car of mine since then has had leather seats.

However, my relatively new S60 has leatherette seats. My experience of them is that they are virtually indistinguishable from the leather Comfort seats in my XC90 wrt look and feel but they seem to have one huge benefit, my jeans dye transferring doesnt seem to be nearly the problem it is on my leather seats.....all in all I think I may be a convert. We’ll see how it wears but i am confident it will wear pretty well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Leatherette probably wears better than leather.
Thats my expectation. When I sold my 1998 C70 and my 2007 S80 the leather seats looked a bit old and worn, even though I did my best to keep them in good shape.

I noticed that Tesla is also offering leatherette in their model 3. Given all of the coatings and treatments that car leathers generally get it may be that there is not much difference wrt breathability and comfort......I’ll be watching to see how my XC90 and S60 seats age, a fairly good test....

·
Registered
879 Posts
I have to disagree with you. I can spot leatherette the second I open a door and I can feel the difference. It is quite noticeably different to real leather BUT i do look at them every day.

I will come back if I notice any irregular wear.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I had a S60 T6 Momentum loaner today while my 2018 XC60 Inscription (regular, not lux seats) was in for service. I honestly had no idea it wasn't leather until I used the Volvo configurator just to price out what I was driving. I actually thought they were ever so slightly softer than my real leather XC60 seats (which I have never loved since day 1, but learned to tolerate).

·
Registered
530 Posts
Thats my expectation. When I sold my 1998 C70 and my 2007 S80 the leather seats looked a bit old and worn, even though I did my best to keep them in good shape.

I noticed that Tesla is also offering leatherette in their model 3. Given all of the coatings and treatments that car leathers generally get it may be that there is not much difference wrt breathability and comfort......I’ll be watching to see how my XC90 and S60 seats age, a fairly good test....

Correction, Tesla only uses leatherette in all of its cars. Additionally, most Mercedes come with MB-Tex (leatherette) and not actual leather.

·
Registered
13,986 Posts
Vinyls have improved a lot in the last 20 years and leather has so many coatings and treatments that they are very close to one another.

We've been car shopping lately and all manufacturers have their vinyl seat product - V-Tex at VW, Sensatec on a Mini, MB-Tex as indicated above - all high quality products.

When I was shopping the XC90 last year I drove both a leatherette and leather car back to back and the leatherette did seem a little softer like was indicated above and also felt like it wouldn't breathe as well.

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Vinyls have improved a lot in the last 20 years and leather has so many coatings and treatments that they are very close to one another.

We've been car shopping lately and all manufacturers have their vinyl seat product - V-Tex at VW, Sensatec on a Mini, MB-Tex as indicated above - all high quality products.

When I was shopping the XC90 last year I drove both a leatherette and leather car back to back and the leatherette did seem a little softer like was indicated above and also felt like it wouldn't breathe as well.
I have leatherette seat covers over my leather....Honestly, Leather is soft and cushy, but is very susceptible to cracking and wear. Leather requires regular conditioning and cleaning. Where leatherette is far more durable to every day wear and tear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts