SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
what is the best leather and dash protector you guys are using?
After reading lot of posts here and reviews online, I went with Chemical Guys Leather Cleaner and Conditioner Complete Leather Care Kit*for the leather and used it last week and it smells and looks really good

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which one would be better the Chemical guys or Volvo's leather cleaner kit?

After reading lot of posts here and reviews online, I went with Chemical Guys Leather Cleaner and Conditioner Complete Leather Care Kit*for the leather and used it last week and it smells and looks really good

·
Registered
255 Posts
Which one would be better the Chemical guys or Volvo's leather cleaner kit?
I have not used the volvo one, so not sure about that

·
Registered
26 Posts
Volvo ones

I have been using the Volvo kit and it works fine. It removes spots and staining well. I treat the seats 5 times a year and they stay nice :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Chemical Guys is great. As mentioned above the look and smell are a big plus. My car is over 18 months old and still smells like fresh leather.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I use AMMO products https://www.ammonyc.com/shop-ammo/ He has great how-to-videos.....I found him via another Volvo owner.......He has a passion for cars and hockey..so you know he is respectable,lol But seriously, his products are top notch

·
Registered
88 Posts
If it's coated leather all that Lexol and Chemical Guys goop does nothing but make your hands soft and empty your wallet.

·
Registered
543 Posts
So where does it say Volvo leather is not 100% leather, especially the upgrade seats in the RDesign and Inscription?

·
Registered
17 Posts
If it's coated leather all that Lexol and Chemical Guys goop does nothing but make your hands soft and empty your wallet.
Someone from the leather care product side commented on the detailing reddit that car leather coating is not 100% so some cleaner/conditioner will absorb through.

I can attest to this personally on my other car’s leather at least. The leather conditioner when used on plastic leaves a gluey film that must be scrubbed off. On leather it seems to be absorbed.

·
Registered
172 Posts
CQuartz fabric coating is one of the best ways to protect leather and dash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Lexol cleaning and conditioner.
Armor All fresh scent, matte gloss protectant for the vinyl.
I know some frown at Armor All, but unless you're trying to win ribbons at a Show & Shine, it does the job well.

The factory treated coating on the leather will wear down with use and exposure to UV.
Periodic cleaning is needed irrespective of the treatment. Recondition of the leather is still required ever year or so. 2x a year as the seats begin to age.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Lexol cleaning and conditioner.
Armor All fresh scent, matte gloss protectant for the vinyl.
I know some frown at Armor All, but unless you're trying to win ribbons at a Show & Shine, it does the job well.

The factory treated coating on the leather will wear down with use and exposure to UV.
Periodic cleaning is needed irrespective of the treatment. Recondition of the leather is still required ever year or so. 2x a year as the seats begin to age.
Suggest you read PIPUK's posting #7 here, paying close attention to his first sentence.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101-a/64971-coated-leather-care.html?

Judyb is another leather professional. Read through all of her posts on Autogeek starting here (or search for her and ask for all posts):

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/search.php

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Suggest you read PIPUK's posting #7 here, paying close attention to his first sentence.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101-a/64971-coated-leather-care.html?
Not seeing where PIPUK and Judyb are in disagreement with what I wrote?

Neither wrote that treated leather doesn't need periodic cleaning, and PIPIUK's note was to ensure that whatever conditioning product used has the proper alkalinity, which is 100% correct. I have a Vanson Cobra motorcycle jacket. I lent it to friend during recovery fom a basketball injury. He thought he would do me a favor and recondition it at the end of the season and used the wrong product. Over the off-season it attacked the leather, and caused stress cracks at flex points.

Be that as it may, most modern conditioning products are protectant & conditioner in one step. If you need the conditioner, great (and trust me as your seats age and the factory seal coat wears away exposing the bare leather - you'll need it). If you don't, no bother you still had the protectant to cover you.

As for the conditioner wearing off on your clothes, if the user is apply the product in the correct amounts, the coating is so thin that transfer is marginal. You transfer more dye from your clothes into the seat (especially if you like to wear jeans and have a lighter colored interior) than any amount of conditioner transfer into clothes.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You wrote that you use Lexol cleaner and conditioner.

Judyb wrote: "Conditioners should be avoided on modern chrome tanned leather as they are not needed and are counter productive. Oils, waxes etc simply sit on the surface of the leather as they cannot soak in through the clear coat finishes (and would cause additional problems if they could!) where they simply attract more dirt which is what we are trying to avoid. Dirt acts as an abrasive to the clear coat finishes which causes wear."

No disagreement. Right.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Correct. And I also stated that over time with both seat use and UV exposure, the coating wears down. No coating lasts indefinitely.
Semi-untreated hide requires conditioning, and personally I would rather not wait until I see wear and degradation.

Note that I wrote a "once a year or so" treatment. A light coating once a year (or every other year) when newer is simply skim coating the factory treatment. Where it's worn down, it'll fill in and supplement. Where it exists, you'll have a build coat that will wear its way down.

Lexol is non-silica based and Ph neutral. No alkaline issues.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts