SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So on the new cars the only thing that bothers me are the hideous rear-seat ISOFIX/LATCH covers for the child attachment stuff. For many of us not having kids in the plans for a bit or ever it's just ugly plastic in our nice leather for no reason!

So with black seats in my new S60 I figured it would be pretty easy to leather wrap the covers. They pop off easily and black is simple. I had a small piece of black bolster from an old Volvo so I took a chunk of it and stuck it around the cover. Nothing holding it on so it's a 3 minute hack-job, final would look far better and more contoured to the cover. I'd likely use a spray glue and cut it to exactly fit around it and superglue on the back edge of the cover to hold it tight. Only thing is once you do this only way to pop it off without breaking it is to take a blade to the leather you used to be able to flip up the cover to access the clips but since it's so easy to do no biggie to do it over again if ever needed.

Thoughts? Does it just make it stick out more or do you like it in leather?

As they come

Leather wrapped (poorly)

What the cover comes off as

·
Registered
858 Posts
So on the new cars the only thing that bothers me are the hideous rear-seat ISOFIX/LATCH covers for the child attachment stuff. For many of us not having kids in the plans for a bit or ever it's just ugly plastic in our nice leather for no reason!

So with black seats in my new S60 I figured it would be pretty easy to leather wrap the covers. They pop off easily and black is simple. I had a small piece of black bolster from an old Volvo so I took a chunk of it and stuck it around the cover. Nothing holding it on so it's a 3 minute hack-job, final would look far better and more contoured to the cover. I'd likely use a spray glue and cut it to exactly fit around it and superglue on the back edge of the cover to hold it tight. Only thing is once you do this only way to pop it off without breaking it is to take a blade to the leather you used to be able to flip up the cover to access the clips but since it's so easy to do no biggie to do it over again if ever needed.

Thoughts? Does it just make it stick out more or do you like it in leather?

As they come

Leather wrapped (poorly)

What the cover comes off as

I have those covers on our 18' V90CC. They look - well, factory.
What you have done, looks - well.......home made (even if wrapped better) and ugly as sin. Sorry - you asked.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have those covers on our 18' V90CC. They look - well, factory.
What you have done, looks - well.......home made (even if wrapped better) and ugly as sin. Sorry - you asked.
hey that's why I asked! Starting to think you're right, no way the leather won't stick out like a sore thumb. What needs to be made is an insert that doesn't stick out at all....someday

·
Registered
323 Posts
hey that's why I asked! Starting to think you're right, no way the leather won't stick out like a sore thumb. What needs to be made is an insert that doesn't stick out at all....someday
Try vinyl leather wrap, much thinner and will contour easier and nicer. Try
Rvinyl.com, I've used them and always worked nicely

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Try vinyl leather wrap, much thinner and will contour easier and nicer. Try
Rvinyl.com, I've used them and always worked nicely
That's a good idea, and I might actually wrap it with the flap still usable...i'll give it a shot, if not easy enough to just peel the stuff off! Will report back when done if it's any good or not

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't know, man. I'd be curious to see what you end up with, but I'd say the seat buckles are way bigger eyesores (though obviously necessary).

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts