SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I noted in my test drive review comparison (Audi/Volvo/BMW) my wife and I are looking at the European vehicles in this segment and have some concerns about the leather seat wear. We went out today and looked at several of the pre-owned 2010 XC60s'. Sure enough, the seats are pretty worn in these things with wrinkle cracks and dye wear in the worst cases. This soft leather feels really nice, but just doesn't seem like long haul material. I also don't think any amount of leather conditioner is going to keep it from happening. Most of these have well under 35K miles and, as stated, are a 2010s and 2011s. The S60s were similar. As a point of comparison, equivalents from BMW show almost no wear (heck our 2001 530i has minimal wear with almost 130K miles).

Is anyone here seeing this? Does anyone have a price on a replacement seat cover (in my experience, these are generally astronomical) - particularly n R-design (which I suspect would be tough to duplicate aftermarket)?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Our '10 is about to reach its third birthday and has just over 49000 miles. The stitching on the left bolster of the driver's seat showed some wear early on, but has 'settled down' in the past year or so. The leather itself is fairly wrinkled and creased but isn't failing per se. I do toss a towel down on the seat when I'm wearing shorts(10+ months a year), especially after bike rides and such. My weight of ~240# probably doesn't help with the ingress/egress, but I find the XC60 seat to require a bit of adjustment(me) to get comfy. Not the same with our C70 or the XC70 we traded...just an odd angle of attack entering or leaving the vehicle(for me and my chubby self, that is).

The current condition of our leather would be of no concern if trading or selling at this point.(unlike our '04 C70 Calcite leather driver's seat that had to be 'refinished' at the cost of $200---looked absolutely perfect when done). No idea what it would take to 're-furb' an R-Design or other two-tone.

By the bye, our XC seats are Sandstone and receive a fair amount of exposure to central Texas sunshine.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Is anyone here seeing this?
This is common complaint of late, at least on later model XC Volvos. The leather on the sides of our XC90 front seats show extreme wear and cracks but on our V70 still looks really good. It could also be the design of the car, as it's a lot easier to get into the V70 whereas an XC60 or XC90, one might be sliding over more since the seat is higher. Doesn't help that you also noticed it on an S60, I don't recall if anybody complained there yet.

I've tried to make our XC90 seats look better but have just given up.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have wondered about the longevity of the XC60 leather as well. I plan to treat it twice a year like I did on my V70. Not sure if theV70 was an exception leather wise (the leather seems much thicker compared to that of the XC60), but after almost 12 years, the V70 looks new still (except for one very small spot where the hardware on the edge rubs). On the flip-side I saw a slightly newer C70 yesterday and my visiting mother asked me "how old" is that old Volvo? (due to the completely all cracked up seats)... Makes me think an important part of the longevity is the conditioning.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I pinged one of the online vendors with regard to replacement leather seat covers for the left side seat:

Seat Bottom = $454.94
Seat Back = $514.12

Essentially, about a grand for a single new seat cover which is inline with my expectations (note: I said "expectations"...I didn't say I was happy about it).

These were the r-design seat prices. I expect the "regular" seat covers to be within a $150 or so of these numbers.

The late model S60 seats appear to be an almost identical design to the XC60 so I would expect similar wear challenges.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I pinged one of the online vendors with regard to replacement leather seat covers for the left side seat:

Seat Bottom = $454.94
Seat Back = $514.12

Essentially, about a grand for a single new seat cover which is inline with my expectations (note: I said "expectations"...I didn't say I was happy about it).

These were the r-design seat prices. I expect the "regular" seat covers to be within a $150 or so of these numbers.

The late model S60 seats appear to be an almost identical design to the XC60 so I would expect similar wear challenges.
I'm not surprised at the figures; but it IS amazing what we pay for so little leather(and I couldn't care less what the back seats are covered in ;) ). In theory, we 'get back' 1/4 - 1/3 of that up-front cost when we trade or sell; but I'd be all over a really nice synthetic seat material if readily available. I can't remember the last non-leather Volvo I've seen. Whatever happened to the 'techy' stuff they had in the early-mid 'zins? Anybody got a vehicle with that -tech, -tex...whatever it was called?

·
Registered
442 Posts
I'm not surprised at the figures; but it IS amazing what we pay for so little leather(and I couldn't care less what the back seats are covered in ;) ). In theory, we 'get back' 1/4 - 1/3 of that up-front cost when we trade or sell; but I'd be all over a really nice synthetic seat material if readily available. I can't remember the last non-leather Volvo I've seen. Whatever happened to the 'techy' stuff they had in the early-mid 'zins? Anybody got a vehicle with that -tech, -tex...whatever it was called?
I think it's called T-Tech (or T-Tec) and I have seen a report or two of its existence/ownership here and there on these forums, but not lately.

Get this to protect your seats when you sweat...work great/as advertised: http://www.seatshield.com/

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In walking around one of the local lots I saw several XC60s with the techy stuff (aka cloth) interiors, but did not actually sit in any. I believe all were nearly zero option FWD cars. It did not look horrible.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Get this to protect your seats when you sweat...work great/as advertised: http://www.seatshield.com/
Interesting...those folks are in Atlanta(where I lived for almost 30 years) and they have a dealer ~1 mile from where I live now(1000 miles away).(Bike shop...never noticed seatcovers there...special order, I reckon).
I'll take a look, although I bought special light tan 'beach' towels to match the Sandstone interior!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I had a loaner S40 T5 a while back that had the fabric. I wasn't impressed.

Saw this thread and cleaned/conditioned my seats today.

·
Registered
442 Posts
In walking around one of the local lots I saw several XC60s with the techy stuff (aka cloth) interiors, but did not actually sit in any. I believe all were nearly zero option FWD cars. It did not look horrible.
If you saw a lot ANYWHERE with several XC60s they were probably zero-option FWDs...that's all any of them seem to keep in stock. Anything "good" either immediately sells or must be special ordered. Jussayin'....

·
Registered
442 Posts
Interesting...those folks are in Atlanta(where I lived for almost 30 years) and they have a dealer ~1 mile from where I live now(1000 miles away).(Bike shop...never noticed seatcovers there...special order, I reckon).
I'll take a look, although I bought special light tan 'beach' towels to match the Sandstone interior!
LOL, I have a special black bath towel (to match my almost-black interior) that I keep on my passenger seat to cover up anything I have on said seat (due to one of our XC60's flaws: inadequate center console storage) that I need to cover up when I park.

·
Registered
416 Posts
The leather in our 2007 XC90 (with the sport seats) looks great after 4.5 years and 43k mi. I condition it with Coach leather conditioner about once a year, sometimes twice. The only sign of wear is on the white piping on the bolster of the drivers seat. It isn't really wearing but it is starting to get a little dark, like the white is wearing off or something.

Overall we are very happy with our choice. Good luck when you finally make a decision!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts