SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my XC90 about a week ago. Nobody has sat on the back seat. Never have I placed anything on top of the seat.

Today I find this scratch where the leather is actually peeling. I have reported this to the dealer. Waiting for and answer.

Given there is a high chance that I get a negative reply, which is the most cost effective way of fixing or hiding this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
that's not good, hope they will do something about it. when i bought my JX35 (now QX60) my wife found some scratches after about 6 months of use. the dealer replaced the whole seat but took some time since infiniti has to send the replacement.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Notify Volvo of North America, if you get a negative response from the dealer. You paid a lot of money for that car, they have to do the right thing. I would love to hear what happens with this.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
It looks like a scratch to me too. How heart breaking. There's probably a touch-up for that.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I'd say that a scratch you probably didn't notice at delivery. Hope they fix it for you!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I'd say that a scratch you probably didn't notice at delivery. Hope they fix it for you!
That's a scratch, likely during a test drive with a passenger on board. Your vehicle likely test driven before delivery to you, even if ordered. My XC90 had over 50mis on it when I bought it, and it wasn't a demo. There's not that many out yet, and it is selling well. My dealer is selling at a rate of 6-7 XC90s per week:eek:

·
Registered
106 Posts
That's a scratch, likely during a test drive with a passenger on board. Your vehicle likely test driven before delivery to you, even if ordered. My XC90 had over 50mis on it when I bought it, and it wasn't a demo. There's not that many out yet, and it is selling well. My dealer is selling at a rate of 6-7 XC90s per week:eek:
This shouldn't happen - an ordered vehicle is a sold vehicle and should not be made available for test drives. I started another thread about this ("Delivery Miles") and it was mentioned that due to random factory testing some Volvos may have up to 40-50 miles on them at time of delivery.

·
Registered
64 Posts
That could have been done by a porter at the dealer when they were cleaning it, I sold cars for 13 years, and believe me, no matter what the cost of the car is . It is never going to be 100% perfect

·
Registered
2021 Inscription Recharge - 2021 Silverado LTZ 6.2L
1,739 Posts
I gotta be in the touch up camp. It is irresponsible and a waste of resources to ask for anything more when the scratch is so small. Touch up and no one will ever see it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Notify Volvo of North America, if you get a negative response from the dealer. You paid a lot of money for that car, they have to do the right thing. I would love to hear what happens with this.
Im sorry not to have mentioned this before, but I live in South America. Therefore, no Volvo of North America option.

I received the car with 70kms, roughly 45 miles, so yeah, it was driven around by the dealer with possible customers.

Hope they step up to the plate... but would they not, I would like to know the best product available to make this scratch the least visible.

·
Registered
206 Posts
That scratch is so small it should be an easy fix. Any raised leather would be trimmed off,
then some color matched leather stain applied. Instant vanish.

I have been watching (and enjoying) a series on TV called Wheeler Dealer. They buy older
worn out cars, fix them up and sell them on. On several cars the leather was old and tired.
They had them professionally reconditioned and a new color stain applied. They looked like
new when done. It will work out for you. Don't worry.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Im sorry not to have mentioned this before, but I live in South America. Therefore, no Volvo of North America option.

I received the car with 70kms, roughly 45 miles, so yeah, it was driven around by the dealer with possible customers.

Hope they step up to the plate... but would they not, I would like to know the best product available to make this scratch the least visible.

Im interested in recommendations for specific products as well just for future reference.

About the possibility of test drives, and liability- People have reported a wide range of mileage on new xc90s and 45 miles seems well within this range. This is due in part to test drives at the factory for quality control purposes. So a seemingly high mileage does not at all indicate that the dealer used the vehicle for test drives with passengers. Its certainly possible but also entirely possible (I would say likely) that it didn't happen. Incidents like this are why you really need to go over every inch of the car when you pick it up. Not saying this happened after taking possession, but unless its noted prior to that, the dealer/volvo has plausible deniability. Unfortunately there's really no reason to take peoples word for it and it establishes a bad precedent where every time someone has a newish vehicle with a scratch, they can claim they just noticed it but it was definitely not their fault, and expect the manufacturer to make it right, which in this case would mean a whole new seat. As has been pointed out, that is frankly a waste of resources anyway for what is an unfortunate but very minor blemish.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Im interested in recommendations for specific products as well just for future reference.

About the possibility of test drives, and liability- People have reported a wide range of mileage on new xc90s and 45 miles seems well within this range. This is due in part to test drives at the factory for quality control purposes. So a seemingly high mileage does not at all indicate that the dealer used the vehicle for test drives with passengers. Its certainly possible but also entirely possible (I would say likely) that it didn't happen. Incidents like this are why you really need to go over every inch of the car when you pick it up. Not saying this happened after taking possession, but unless its noted prior to that, the dealer/volvo has plausible deniability. Unfortunately there's really no reason to take peoples word for it and it establishes a bad precedent where every time someone has a newish vehicle with a scratch, they can claim they just noticed it but it was definitely not their fault, and expect the manufacturer to make it right, which in this case would mean a whole new seat. As has been pointed out, that is frankly a waste of resources anyway for what is an unfortunate but very minor blemish.
You are completely right. The dealer doesn't have to believe me or any customer for the matter. That is why I am trying to figure out which product will hide this the best.

·
Registered
201 Posts
You are completely right. The dealer doesn't have to believe me or any customer for the matter. That is why I am trying to figure out which product will hide this the best.
Leather dye from any reputable company that makes leather care products should do (Leatherique in the US and Gliptone in the UK). If you want a touch-up color that matches 100% then it usually means you'll have to send a leather covered part from your car like a center console armrest, a removable headrest from the rear seat for example so they can copy that exact color.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Leather dye from any reputable company that makes leather care products should do (Leatherique in the US and Gliptone in the UK). If you want a touch-up color that matches 100% then it usually means you'll have to send a leather covered part from your car like a center console armrest, a removable headrest from the rear seat for example so they can copy that exact color.
Good call. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Took a picture from the opposite side of the seat and it seems as though the scratch had friends...

I have now done a thorough check, including the third row seats which I had never unfolded. Thank god that the 03 scratches I found all belong to the same seat in the second row.

I also purchased a leather correction pen from Amazon, because whether or not the dealer accepts my claim, I have to accept it's not going to be long before this happens again.

On a different note, my father owns a 2011 E350 with beige ventilated seats, and even though he treats the car like s..., his seats look pretty decent, with no scratches or scuff marks. Is Volvo's ventilated seat leather weak?

·
Registered
143 Posts
On a different note, my father owns a 2011 E350 with beige ventilated seats, and even though he treats the car like s..., his seats look pretty decent, with no scratches or scuff marks. Is Volvo's ventilated seat leather weak?

The leather is very delicate, I can see micro tears along the seam where the stitches were made on my driver's seat already. Also, be careful when you clean it, if you agitate it just a bit the leather WILL peel. I suggest everyone with Nappa get a sealant and treat those seats with additional extra care.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Anyone have good experience with a protectant/sealant you can recommend?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts