SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After accepting our XC90 last month, we noticed some wrinkles in the leather dash along the bottom side of the small lip on the upper dash on the passenger side of the vehicle (on the upper part of the panel where the 'AIRBAG' is inscribed on the passenger side). It looks as though when the leather was being pressed into the groove the leather wrinkled in several places (6-8 wrinkles). Has anyone seen this issue?

The local dealer in Italy had a look at the vehicle this morning and advised that the entire dash would have to be replaced. Due to the complexity and cost associated with the problem, they are required to contact Volvo Italy and have an inspector come to see the vehicle personally and assess whether or not it is a manufacturing defect. Of course, replacing an entire dash is fraught with potential future problems.

Looking for feedback on anyone else's experiences with this type of problem.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
298 Posts
We had the leather dash replaced on our vehicle (non-Volvo) when it was new, with no issues.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Would be nice to see a pic OP!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have some minor wrinkles too. Above the glove compartment. I have been on the fence about living with it or having it replaced. I am very picky and do not trust local dealer craftmanship. In other words I rather have some minor wrinkles than misaligned panels...

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Leather is a natural product so I think having "some" wrinkles is probably normal. I never had a leather dash so can't say much but sure would love to try except they don't offer it on R-Design :-( It still looks beautiful even with some small wrinkles!

·
Registered
68 Posts
@Brutuss99, I kind of agree with you.....it does not really bother me. Nothing wrong with a little cellulite on a pretty girl....;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just dropped the vehicle off at the dealer yesterday. Apparently there is a bulletin out for this, although an inspector from Volvo must look at the dash in person and make an assessment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have some minor wrinkles too. Above the glove compartment. I have been on the fence about living with it or having it replaced. I am very picky and do not trust local dealer craftmanship. In other words I rather have some minor wrinkles than misaligned panels...

We have the same problem with our Inscription model. We contacted Volvo UK but their reply was " it was caused by human error at the quality control stage" looks like this person had more than one bad day! As the others we do not trust Vovo UK to replace the dash ,as you know where you start but the end result can be a thousand times worse should you end up with a niggeling rattle!

Will post some photo's when I work out how!

·
Registered
962 Posts
After accepting our XC90 last month, we noticed some wrinkles in the leather dash along the bottom side of the small lip on the upper dash on the passenger side of the vehicle (on the upper part of the panel where the 'AIRBAG' is inscribed on the passenger side). It looks as though when the leather was being pressed into the groove the leather wrinkled in several places (6-8 wrinkles). Has anyone seen this issue?
if it is installation error or a quality control issue it should and will be covered under warranty however the procedure is extremely invasive and may not be worth the risk of rattles and damage to plastic bits and clips. i had similar issue with X5M and RRS-SC and our RR-SC. it was from heat/sun and covered under warranty but after seeing what the R&R entails i decided to just keep it the way it is because i do not see the wrinkles all the time but i would hear the rattles and creaks all the time. for me the lesser of two evils was leaving it alone.

there are leather products that mitigate drying and wrinkling however none that i know of that do not leave a shine and sheen on the leather itself. if you know of a product or find one please share. thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just got the vehicle back from the dealer. Unfortunately as anticipated, the inspector from the head-office in Bologna, Italy looked at the vehicle while it was at the dealership and advised the service manager that the leather dash was normal and within specification.

If this is acceptable in quality, it leaves some question as to the underlying quality of the vehicle overall.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Honestly, I would think this makes it look like it is actually made of leather and not some plastic molded dashpiece or wannabe leather that is perfectly molded. If you buy a true top grain leather, the texture and natural imperfection are what makes leather so special. Getting in your car and noticing this texturing, I would actually think to myself "nice, this is actual nice leather and not some fake imitation like in say a FCA car or a Caddilac".

Just like Nappa leather and top grain leather. They are much more expensive, AND much less resistant to wear than specially treated automobile leather, but when you touch it, and sit on it... You know the material is natural and there first and foremost for comfort. Not for super duper durability.

You want perfect? I'd say stick to molded dash made of vinyl.

Then again, to each their own...

·
Registered
283 Posts
Honestly, I would think this makes it look like it is actually made of leather and not some plastic molded dashpiece or wannabe leather that is perfectly molded. If you buy a true top grain leather, the texture and natural imperfection are what makes leather so special. Getting in your car and noticing this texturing, I would actually think to myself "nice, this is actual nice leather and not some fake imitation like in say a FCA car or a Caddilac".

Just like Nappa leather and top grain leather. They are much more expensive, AND much less resistant to wear than specially treated automobile leather, but when you touch it, and sit on it... You know the material is natural and there first and foremost for comfort. Not for super duper durability.

I totally agree with you. The wrinkles in my opinion makes it more special and look like it's made out of real leather.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I would agree except for how the wrinkles really do seem to be from fitting up against the top part. Doesn't look right to me and I'm a big fan of natural imperfections.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts

I also agree. I would love the option of leather dash on the R-Design even with minor imperfections lol

1 - 20 of 27 Posts