SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone used a "broker" lease deal from Leasehackr forums to lease their XC60? I just started looking and seems like you pay a $399 broker fee but the lease deals are quite good and would save that from better lease terms. Should I just try to get the same lease deal myself?

·
Premium Member
2,316 Posts
I try not to get into specific pricing questions. I sell Volvo's for a living and started selling cars back in 2008. I think the internet is a great source for information but it's also a great source for bad information. I am often confused why any articles or comments on tips for getting a good deal on cars misses some of the most obvious considerations, tricks, concerns. So here's my take:

Stay in your state. Most customers don't consider how different advertising is between states. There are laws can make two identical deal seem thousands of dollars different. It's not so much that dealers are being shady, they're competing with other local dealers and following their state guidelines. However, I come from a more conservative state regarding advertising laws and often do lose business because of these practices. For example, doc fees and destination fees. Here in PA we are capped at a $144 doc fee and we do include the $995 destination in all of our advertising. Just south of me in MD it's often a $299 doc fee and destination doesn't have to be included (you can often see this in the fine print no one reads at the bottom of the web page). VA is even worse, often with a $599 fee doc fee. Taking an extra $1500 out of advertised pricing makes a huge impact. Further discrepancies can be found regionally. While certainly there are volume advantages to some big city stores, they also are much more likely to advertise with "Max rebates". Get to more rural and small city markets and you're more likely to find advertising with only rebates everyone gets. Different markets have different accepted tolerances for such advertising. Do not think every dealer is going to always use the same tricks, or you'll end up just going with the least honest price you see and assume everyone else was the same just not giving the same deal.

Another dealer by dealer factor is how do they handle the finance department. If you have to sit in an uncomfortable box while they beat you up until they get you to say yes to something else that's not much fun. You can escape without saying yes of course, but the experience sucks. I handle all my own finance aspects and can build products to help. Say no thanks and we move on. Easy peasy. I used to always say no too... then I realized I was saying no to a $20 cell phone warranty and buying a $25 cell phone case... and starting to rethink how I really spend money during ownership of any piece of technology =-D But there is a valid business model to give the cars away and soak folks in the back office. Some folks say no but enough say yes to make it all work. I don't like buying cars that way myself and hope alternative business models can survive, though I can assure you it requires a higher advertised price point to make the model work. Yes, I am saying it's okay to pay more and have a better experience. It's just my opinion though. It's how I buy things myself.

Aside from all that, I really do think there is value to a relationship with your local dealer. I certainly make it a point to provide value to my customers during and after the sale, and I work at a store with a good service reputation intentionally. While you should be able to get good service whether or not you purchased the car locally, there will be times where the question of where the car was purchased come to play for extra favors. The store I'm at has folks who have been in the industry for awhile. While I'm fairly new to Volvo, 2 of our folks have been at the same store over 10 years. As you get to know customers a good sales person will help you find deals, and be looking out for your interest, as that is in their own interest as well. Folks who have never had a good sales person do find this hard to understand, and I've seen plenty of bad sales people so I get it. But find a dealer, hopefully your local one, that can bring great added value to the table for you.

$399 isn't a small sum. I'd find it hard to believe that you couldn't get within $399 of any real deal at any dealer that had the car in stock for you in most cases, especially on an older unit (which if you're trying to save money, should be where you're looking anyhow). IMO your time and money are again, better spent building a local relationship. If you're local dealer isn't any good, then it might well be worth it.

Cheers! And.. congrats on picking Volvo!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I try not to get into specific pricing questions.
People don't realize that this $399 is $11/mo for 36 months. But they are willing to pay even more not to deal with the negotiations. That's #1.
#2: Broker thing is...well...complicated. (I used to sell cars too). It's not as clear cut as the website everyone loves advertizes
#3: That website that shall not be named is full of BS, starting from brokers posting crap to people lying or misleading others on deals. One guy walked into a local dealership and got angry when they couldn't match "his website broker offer" of $250/mo with nothing down on a T5 S60...

In any case, best of luck. Sometimes brokers can do some very shady crap with the dealer and get you an amazing price.

·
Registered
109 Posts
There are some very reputable brokers on there (including some I've personally dealt with getting other cars for friends) that offer prices that I couldn't touch doing my own negotiating (to the tune of $50 a month, so a broker fee earned its keep there). There are others that offer crap deals. Generally the shady ones on there get outed very quickly and the good ones have a lot of independent reviews. Oddly the broker that I worked with for my friend was able to beat the price on the civic he got by a lot but I got a way better price on the passport I leased for my wife than he was able to do. All comes down to the specific circumstances.

Leasehackr is a fantastic resource of what may be possible in the right circumstances. There are lots of people that get deals that aren't exactly replicable because of the specific circumstances at the time.

Rumyn and I don't see eye to eye on this subject, with him being very much against LH and me being a big fan. I got two S90s based on the info that I was able to learn from there (one for my sister in law and one for myself). Certainly far better deals than I would have been able to get without knowing how far I could push things by seeing the aggressive deals of others. Hell, I'd be happy if I could get an S60 now for what I'm paying for my S90.

My suggestion is to use leasehackr to learn everything you can about leases, what a good target discount is, and try to get your own deal. If you can, great. If you can't, then consider using a broker.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Rumyn and I don't see eye to eye on this subject, with him being very much against LH and me being a big fan.
My biggest issue with that site is that it gives people unrealistic expectations. Mostly due to people there lying about their deals (math doesn't work most of the times).
Also, almost everyone puts down multiple MSD, so yes, that can save a lot of money over 36 month lease, but not every person who reads the site understands that.

In any case, I've dealt with my fair share of brokers over the past two decades.
They're not magicians, just on a retainer and kickbacks (some), and that's why they can get you a good deal while the dealer hopes to screw you in the F&I office.
Also, not all the incentives are available to the public, so that's why brokers sometimes seem to be able to get a better price.

After I left the dealer side job I've had, I've made it my point to help people buy cars because I know how stressful it can be (and I don't get any $$$ out of it).

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts
My biggest issue with that site is that it gives people unrealistic expectations. Mostly due to people there lying about their deals (math doesn't work most of the times).
Also, almost everyone puts down multiple MSD, so yes, that can save a lot of money over 36 month lease, but not every person who reads the site understands that.

I've been on there for years and have seen very very few deals that don't add up. I have seen lots of salesmen that come on though and say there's no way that the deals could be legit. Granted, I've also had salesmen at dealers I tried to make a deal with tell me that the deal I was proposing would cost them thousands and have another dealer turn around and jump at the deal.

In the end, it's a good way to educate oneself as to what to look for. Most people have no idea how leases are actually structured and get raked over the coals on deals.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I've been on there for years and have seen very very few deals that don't add up. I have seen lots of salesmen that come on though and say there's no way that the deals could be legit. Granted, I've also had salesmen at dealers I tried to make a deal with tell me that the deal I was proposing would cost them thousands and have another dealer turn around and jump at the deal.

In the end, it's a good way to educate oneself as to what to look for. Most people have no idea how leases are actually structured and get raked over the coals on deals.
I agree in principle.
I use my own (Excel) lease calculator, so when I say math doesn't work, it doesn't work. People tend to leave out bits and pieces.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I’ve read through the XC60 thread on LH. There is some useful and interesting things on there that we can learn buying or leasing. I’ve never used a broker, and wouldn’t.

·
Premium Member
2,316 Posts
Most people dont get raked over the coals. As always if you think dealers make to much just invest in one. Same growth as any other retail company. Percentages are small. Few folks walk into a Volvo dealer and say "that full MSRP lease payment looks great!".

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Most people dont get raked over the coals. As always if you think dealers make to much just invest in one. Same growth as any other retail company. Percentages are small. Few folks walk into a Volvo dealer and say "that full MSRP lease payment looks great!".
People working at the dealership don't make all that much, maybe, yes. Owners do pretty well.

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
People working at the dealership don't make all that much, maybe, yes. Owners do pretty well.
The undisciplined price negotiation model cause a lot of trouble for buyers and dealers.
Buyers always think they don't get a good deal, and dealers always think they are not making enough money.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
The undisciplined price negotiation model cause a lot of trouble for buyers and dealers.
Buyers always think they don't get a good deal, and dealers always think they are not making enough money.
Pretty much

1 - 12 of 12 Posts