SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. First time on this forum and just getting educated about Volvo - the XC60. I want the R-Design. Saw it, drove it, love it, want it.

The dilemma - Steep price to pay up front and I am really looking to the hybrid for the gas mileage. It's uncertain when it's coming, what it'll cost (aka if I can afford it) and what it'll look like so I might as well get something now.

Currently - Driving a 2000 Mazda Protege and 2006 Acura TSX - love Japanese reliability. Totally new to Volvos. Two young kids and a wife - hence the XC60 (it took a long time for me to mentally think of having any type of SUV, but since seeing the R-Design, I can do it).

I've never leased. I don't want to put a ton of money down on a purchase just to get my payments to $500 or less (having no experience with Volvos) and perhaps wanting to trade into the hybrid - again 17MPG is tough to swallow.

The competition - Frankly there's nothing else I like (no RDX, OK, the MDX is great, but still a no, Ford Edge - cool fully loaded, but it's a Ford), no CUV or SUV at least. The XC60 hits just about all of the right buttons, simplicity (like my Skagen watch and glasses), classy with aggressive looks, muscular with refinement, and doesn't scream "people mover, soccer mom, etc."

I could use some insight, particular on the financial side. I suppose I could keep my Mazda until the hybrid arrives, but there's some uncertainty there. Speaking to relatives who both have leased then bought premium labels (Infiniti and Lexus), they didn't necessarily end up paying more and it worked out for them. It seems popular thought is that leasing is just about always a bad idea, but it seems those who lease premium brands fair better than non-premium.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Kind of a hard question to answer without taking a peek into your pocketbook. If cost and montly payment amount is the at the top of the list of issues, then only you know the answer to the question. But, payments of "$500 or less" wont go very far anymore - especially for a premium brand euopean car. Its not a Mazda or a Ford. Before buying the XC60, I also looked at Suburbans and was floored to learn that the LTZ models were several thousand dollars north of $60k (for a Chevy truck!) and came with payments near $900/month. (I also couldnt fathom 12 mpg @ $4-$5 a gallon). Makes the XC60 a much better value in my mind.

However, it seems to me that the issue also depends on how long you keep your cars. Leasing can get you into a lower payment, but at the expense of walking away from the car & payments you made at the end of the lease. I have leased one car, a BMW, and found the experience less than satisfying. I drive a fair number of miles, and was always trying to keep an eye on mileage. No fun trying to decide if its worth running to the store at the expense of 18 additional miles (at 20 cents a mile) at the end of the lease. If you will own the Volvo beyond the term of the purchase (i.e., more than 60 months), then my belief is that purchasing is a better financial decision. Especially with the financial incentives Volvo is offering right now. Again, only you know the answer as to what your checkbook can tolerate.

You could always sell the watch to help make the numbers work. ;)

·
Registered
152 Posts
We are on our 3rd volvo, and they have all been as reliable as anything else in our garage including the honda's and subarus. I wouldn't let reliability stop you.

You don't want to stretch your budget for a vehicle though. The XC's haven't changed much since they came out, so finding an older, low milage version might be a better choice. You get the vehicle you want at a price you can afford. But as everyone else will probably tell you, only you know what your pocket book holds.

Just like any new car, if you can keep your pencil from checking off all of the bells and whistles, it can make a substantial difference in the price. A T6 without all of the electronic nannies could still be had for less than 40K. We got ours with xenons, climate package, and a trailor hitch for quite a bit less than the magic 40K through costco. Some of the XC colors actually look better with the black lower body cladding than the monotone versions. Pick the right color and you might be able to live without the R Design.

TREX

TREX

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
Hey folks. First time on this forum and just getting educated about Volvo - the XC60. I want the R-Design. Saw it, drove it, love it, want it.

The dilemma - Steep price to pay up front and I am really looking to the hybrid for the gas mileage. It's uncertain when it's coming, what it'll cost (aka if I can afford it) and what it'll look like so I might as well get something now.
Are you doing mostly city or highway driving? Hybrids don't help much on the highway... regardless what the EPA sticker says you'll probably get 25-27MPG on the highway with the T6 R-D...

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
The leasing 'game' is a bit different with interest rates below 2%. You can think of a three-year lease as a balloon payment loan that you can walk away from in three years. Of course, you're 'just renting' the vehicle unless you decide to purchase at lease-end. If you DO purchase, you haven't been severely penalized for carrying the 'loan' for that length of time(nothing like the 8-10-14% rates of a couple of decades ago). This 'allows' you to drive a darned spiffy vehicle maintained on Volvo's dime and have roadside assist and full warranty. As mentioned, $500/month doesn't put a real dent in a $50K vehicle, so the piper will need to be paid somewhere along the line. ;)

We're leasing the new RDX w/tech and like it so far. Compared to the 'deal' I was offered on the '12 3.2 XC60, we're 'saving' between $5000-6000 for the term of the lease...nothing to sneeze at(actually, that was all up-front money, so the savings are more important, IMO). I don't really miss the City-Safe goodies so far. I think having 'normal' cruise vs adaptive will be something I might miss on a long trip, but I seldom use cruise anyway. We're getting ~21mpg with normal spirited driving, about a 10% improvement over the XC60 T6, but I expect that number to improve slightly and be significantly higher on the highway. I'm curious as to why you dismissed the RDX(the new one)...it's no R-design, that's for sure...but it's also 10 grand less. I'd say it compares favorably to the normal T6 and outshines the 3.2 in many areas. IF you're truly sold on the R-design, I don't think there's much around that could replace it for the same money...cool vehicle!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Are you doing mostly city or highway driving? Hybrids don't help much on the highway... regardless what the EPA sticker says you'll probably get 25-27MPG on the highway with the T6 R-D...
That's quite a bit better than we got from any tank on the highway in our '10 T6. Only on a couple of trips were we able to surpass 22mpg and it was often lower at Texas highway speeds(+- 75mph). As much as I can figure, we averaged just shy of 20mpg overall in 3.3 years and 56K miles.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the various info folks. I could go higher per month. I guess I just mentioned $500 to play it safe being that we paid $470 per month for our 2006 TSX (after a nice down of course). I just wanted to keep payments relatively the same, but I realize that the XC60 is in a totally different cost bracket. I didn't go for the RDX simply because I just don't like the looks at all. I love what it is mechanically and it's features but it does nothing for me. I also like not having what everyone else has. Acuras are everywhere in Los Angeles. I also just like the language(s) of design in that region; Swedish, Scandinavian, Danish. There's this elegance in simplicity I don't see any where else in other vehicles. As I stated before, it was a long process just to even think of me having a CUV or SUV and the XC60 R Design is really the only vehicle out there at the moment that does everything just about right for me. I mostly drive city miles by the way. I've got to get a better hold of how leasing works; the fine details. I know the broad sense.

I am a Mazda Rotary, Legacy GT (not this current body, but the 2006-09 models), NSX, Saab kind of guy. Not that I've had all of these vehicles but that I like the unpopular and/or uncommon, understated cars that are still awesome, but not limited to the wealthy (exclude the NSX from that one perhaps).

Thanks folks. These message boards are very helpful understanding what Volvo owners' expectations and experiences are which helps me understand the brand a little better than me just liking what I've seen and driven. I did the same type of research back in 2000 when I badly wanted a VW Jetta and then ran quickly away to the Mazda Protege ES and still love that little car.

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
That's quite a bit better than we got from any tank on the highway in our '10 T6. Only on a couple of trips were we able to surpass 22mpg and it was often lower at Texas highway speeds(+- 75mph). As much as I can figure, we averaged just shy of 20mpg overall in 3.3 years and 56K miles.
The 2011 models (both 3.2 and T6) got improved engine internals (less friction) that give better mileage in addition to more HP/torque.

·
Registered
837 Posts
The 2011 models (both 3.2 and T6) got improved engine internals (less friction) that give better mileage in addition to more HP/torque.
Not the case for us...we average 19-20 mpg in mixed city/highway. On extended trips we can get maybe 22 or 23. We are consistent with Coach's experience.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The leasing 'game' is a bit different with interest rates below 2%. You can think of a three-year lease as a balloon payment loan that you can walk away from in three years. Of course, you're 'just renting' the vehicle unless you decide to purchase at lease-end. If you DO purchase, you haven't been severely penalized for carrying the 'loan' for that length of time(nothing like the 8-10-14% rates of a couple of decades ago). This 'allows' you to drive a darned spiffy vehicle maintained on Volvo's dime and have roadside assist and full warranty. As mentioned, $500/month doesn't put a real dent in a $50K vehicle, so the piper will need to be paid somewhere along the line. ;)

We're leasing the new RDX w/tech and like it so far. Compared to the 'deal' I was offered on the '12 3.2 XC60, we're 'saving' between $5000-6000 for the term of the lease...nothing to sneeze at(actually, that was all up-front money, so the savings are more important, IMO). I don't really miss the City-Safe goodies so far. I think having 'normal' cruise vs adaptive will be something I might miss on a long trip, but I seldom use cruise anyway. We're getting ~21mpg with normal spirited driving, about a 10% improvement over the XC60 T6, but I expect that number to improve slightly and be significantly higher on the highway. I'm curious as to why you dismissed the RDX(the new one)...it's no R-design, that's for sure...but it's also 10 grand less. I'd say it compares favorably to the normal T6 and outshines the 3.2 in many areas. IF you're truly sold on the R-design, I don't think there's much around that could replace it for the same money...cool vehicle!
Every time I've seen the RDX and looked inside (even the new ones) they seem smaller than the XC60, especially the cargo area.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts