SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My R is in the shop for a transmission and angle gear swap and it's been an interesting journey. I'm not stewing in anger so this is not a bitch session. I'm actually feeling pretty mellow. I'm just taking an account of some of the things that have gone wrong.

1) Even a recommended shop can deal you a blow. The local Volvo indy mechanic here in Costa Mesa recommended a shop to do my transmission exchange. I called them, told them what I wanted done and we settled on a price. I bought the transmission and angle gear on ebay and had it shipped directly to them. Shipping alone was > $300. After the parts arrived they tell me the shop is way too backed up to do the job.

2) Verify as soon as possible with these ebay sellers. The ebay seller(capt_blotto) that I bought the transmission and angle gear from is a regular on the TurboBricks and VolvoSpeed forums and is a known seller. The auction claimed everything was in working order and had photos of the included parts. I confirmed via e-mail that it was all in working condition. Not so. The output on the angle gear was ground down to almost nothing and the shift cables were broken. To top it all off, because the transmission had been sitting at the shop while I was looking for another mechanic to do the job, when my new mechanic discovered the state of the angle gear and shift cables we were outside of the ebay buyer protection period. In so many words, the seller let me know that I was SOL.

3) Impress upon your sellers that heavy items should be package appropriately. Sellers, do not leave packaging of heavy items to your courier service, if you can avoid it. I contacted a fellow SS member who posted a parting out thread for a couple of '04 Rs. We settled on a price for an angle gear to replace the afore mentioned unit and he sent it via Fedex. When it arrived the packaging looked like it was done by a drunken chimpanzee. The driveshaft flange had been dented, as was one of the bolts, and the unit was looking scratched and scuffed. When I messaged the seller here, he said that he had Fedex package it for him and that they've worked fine for him before. I won't comment on that statement.

4) Tasca offers very competitive prices but they need to shape up on the shipping and logistics side of the business! I ordered new shift cables from them to replace the afore mentioned broken ones. I gave them the VIN over the phone and they gave me the PN for the revised shift cables. They neglected to tell me that I would also need the updated intermediate L lever. We unfortunately discovered that during the install. I ordered the lever and it took them 3 days to process the order(even though the item was in stock). Now, due to a shipping label mistake on their part, the item arrived in CA very early Friday morning but was returned to Rhode Island. I demanded that Tasca correct the mistake and overnight the package back to me.

5) Lastly, USPS Priority Mail 2-Day and tracking is not something you can count on. There is no guarantee on that two days. Their tracking updates are less than reliable at times.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Hi fellow So Cal (orange county too?) R owner. I feel your pain about Tasca. A few years ago I ordered a rear prepainted bumper cover online from them. Included my VIN and indicated in the order notes that it is an R model, not a regular S60. They called, claimed I ordered the wrong part # and they caught it and corrected it for me. I bit my tongue and said "OK, thanks for catching that". Sure enough, a regular S60 bumper cover arrives.. I call them back, let them know their mistake. They review it and sure enough I had ordered the correct part to begin with. I insisted they immediately ship the CORRECT part and UPS or FedEx can pick up the incorrect part when they drop off the correct one. He said he would have to get approval to ship out such an expensive item without payment, blah blah but in the end they granted my request..

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
"3) Impress upon your sellers that heavy items should be package appropriately. Sellers, do not leave packaging of heavy items to your courier service, if you can avoid it. I"

I've had good luck shipping things through Fedex with them doing the packaging. Of course it happens where things get damaged--it's life. One successful venture I can think of is shipping a 50lb $2k B&W Subwoofer to Thailand without incident. I was shocked about that one, though. The key with that is making friends with the workers at the Fedex or at least figuring out who does and does not do a good job at packing items. Of course if it's a one time only thing, it's going to be a toss-up.

"5) Lastly, USPS Priority Mail 2-Day and tracking is not something you can count on."

It can be messy, but their Priority Mail shipping time is stated as 2-3 days. I count on it being three days and in rare cases will it be 2 day shipping.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BumpinVolvo, I live in Costa Mesa, at the end of the 55. Are you in OC? My mechanic is doing the work at his house in the San Bernardino Mountains. It's hard to find shops nearby who do quality work at a good price once you get into the tougher jobs. As for Tasca, I don't expect perfection and I'm pretty patient but over the past year or so they've been a little off their game in my interactions with them. Hearing your experience, mine, and a few others I think they're still growing into their new system and new hires.

Jexx, I hear you. C'est la vie. I'm glad that the angle gear wasn't completely mangled and I would guess that Fedex would be out of business if every heavy item was packaged like mine. When my mechanic sent me those photos all I could do was shake my head. As far as USPS, I will not use them for anything that absolutely must arrive by a set time(barring some act of nature).

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Wow you went thru all that for an angle gear. Sucks that you couldn't find a good shop to seal your angle gear and change whatever else was needed instead of buying parts. Eerie Volvo is great for buying needed Volvo parts esp with a lifetime warrantee on most used parts.

·
Registered
796 Posts
BumpinVolvo, I live in Costa Mesa, at the end of the 55. Are you in OC? My mechanic is doing the work at his house in the San Bernardino Mountains. It's hard to find shops nearby who do quality work at a good price once you get into the tougher jobs. As for Tasca, I don't expect perfection and I'm pretty patient but over the past year or so they've been a little off their game in my interactions with them. Hearing your experience, mine, and a few others I think they're still growing into their new system and new hires.
Yup, OC here! I'm down that way at least once a week too. I'm pretty forgiving with stores/websites that own up to their mistakes and make it right. If they would have tried to pull the "well YOU ordered the wrong part" thing it would have been a different story.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow you went thru all that for an angle gear. Sucks that you couldn't find a good shop to seal your angle gear and change whatever else was needed instead of buying parts. Eerie Volvo is great for buying needed Volvo parts esp with a lifetime warrantee on most used parts.
This is a GT to manual conversion so I needed a whole new angle gear along with the transmission. Had I know I would be getting a faulty AG, I would have gone to Erie for sure. Looking back at what I paid for the AG, trans, cables, etc. in that auction I'd say that the AG accounted for ~$300 of what I paid. Then I paid $300 for another once I discovered its condition. Erie has AGs for sale with their lifetime warranty for $900. 600 vs. 900? The lifetime warranty would make it well worth the additional $300 I would have spent.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Couldnt agree more about tasca. I posted my experience in another thread. Hard to deal with!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts