SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine got drafted after joining the National Gaurd and served as a hummer mechanic in Iraq. After returning he has appointed himself an expert on everything mechanical, even when it comes to my S70 T5. He has told me that it is destructive to accelerate by flooring your car from a stopped, or even cruising, motion. The correct way he claims to accelerate with a turbo is to apply gradual force. This seems to be poor advice to me, for that is the only way you can launch one of these and get that "stomp, pause, whoosh!" Additionally, I owned an 850 T5 and never had any problems as a result of launching my car in this fashion... Thoughts?

·
Registered
14,351 Posts
Re: Learned advice of a Hummer mechanic or BS? (echristodo)

Quote, originally posted by echristodo »
A friend of mine got drafted after joining the National Gaurd and served as a hummer mechanic in Iraq. After returning he has appointed himself an expert on everything mechanical, even when it comes to my S70 T5. He has told me that it is destructive

Only destructive if you hit something.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts

Well, strictly speaking - it is "destructive" in terms of more wear and tear to the drivetrain and engine, but in real world it's as much destructive as driving your car (that is - you will see no difference in your car's lifespan).
It's also destructive to apply your brakes, never do it or you'll end up having to replace pads and rotors.
Oh, and don't even think about driving that thing, or you will need to buy new tires...

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Learned advice of a Hummer mechanic or BS? (montelatici)

We're not talking about all the time here, just when it is time to have fun
I am alleging that the misconception lies in the belief that when one chooses to accelerate rapidly that it needs to be done gradually, instead of stomping on your pedal.

·
Registered
214 Posts

After working on diesel engines for about 5 years I concur that it is detremental to romp on the foot-feet from a stop or rolling start.
It's "destructive" to drive a vehicle or run an engine anytime or just about anywhere. Vehicle parts wear over time (duh). If you put the vehicle to the limit a lot, it will wear faster (be destructive) to the engine. Mr. know-it-all has proven that he took Failure Analysis 101. To me, an engine is an engine is an engine, well almost. They all wear, they all require maintenance, they all have the potential to break.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.