SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey friends we have a dreaded heater box leak (taking in water from the cowl vent). I figure its likely clogged drains but frankly have no idea where to start? I noticed my accessory floor mats were getting wet when I washed the car and water was dripping from the bottom of the box (I can confirm its just clean hose wash water and not antifreeze). Now it's not a gushing leak but enough to be incredibly annoying. I have a new drain ready to go and such but is it possible to clean out the box with the box still in the car or install the new drain hose end? Does the drain hole at at the bottom of the box simply pass through the floor pan and onto the ground or does it lead into something more involved that is not quite as accessible. Can it be installed with just a lift or do I have to pull the whole shooting match out to get to the drain? I was thinking I could pull off the plastic vent hose splitter and try and clean out any debris I see with a shop vac. Would that make any difference?

For context, I only use the car in summer and in fair sunny/dry weather but the leak just makes washing the car a colossal pain in the ass. My other solution is to cut a magnetic strip to the shape of the cowl vent to block off the cowl vents (lining up the clip holes so it looks original/stock) similar to what the Mustang and MG guys. Thoughts are welcome.

·
Registered
388 Posts
If you pulled the heater vent splitter you should be able to access and clear the drain hose that runs through a hole in the transmission tunnel to the outside. Before trying that, if you can get under the car, you might be able to run a wire or something through the hose, but be careful not to damage or dislodge the hose.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Start with the cowl drain, it's in the engine bay. There should be a thick hose running down the firewall right next to the heater box. Follow it up and make sure it's not clogged. It's always clogged.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
I meant to add these pics last week. I also forgot that this drain is on the heater box and not on the body of the car. But yeah this tube gets clogged. If your garden hose is putting water in the car, this is the culprit.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Great pics, Lloyd... thanks for posting them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I meant to add these pics last week. I also forgot that this drain is on the heater box and not on the body of the car. But yeah this tube gets clogged. If your garden hose is putting water in the car, this is the culprit.

Oh man thank you so much for these! I will have a look in the next few days! Thank you so so much. I was really dreading having to take apart the whole damn thing just to get to that. I will try that and report back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts