SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there- Have a XC60 R-Design. Happy with it almost completely. About 2 months ago I found a small pool of water in the floor of the passenger side. Took it in, the cleared the sunroof drains (they told me not to park under a tree, or keep it out of the rain. I live in Oregon, :rolleyes:). Anyway, had some heavy rain last week and found another pool of water. Took it it, drains were not clogged (obviously, just cleaned), and they are not able to re-create the leak after putting it through their wash.

Anybody else have these issues? Saw some other threads which were a bit old. My XC60 is a 2011.

Guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Haven't ever had this issue (but we've only had our ride for a few weeks). However, I have experience this on our BMWs. In all cases the issue was with the inner door seals. When it rains on a car the water hits the side glass and (by design) some of it runs down INSIDE the door and out the bottom through little drain holes. These holes can get clogged up, but usually issues like this are because - behind the door panel - there is a plastic shield (i.e. a water shield) that either has a hold in it or it has come unglued from the door frame. The water then hits the back of the inside door panel and runs out the bottom onto the carpet. Do a search for BMW water door leak on youtube and you will see several videos showing what I am talking about. You can test it yourself with a garden hose....open door will likely show you if there is an issue.

Come to think of it, I had this same stupid issue on my 2005 Pontiac GTO too! On that car it was also door related. There was a double seal at the bottom (on the door frame) and water would build up between them and overflow to the INSIDE of the car...cut a couple of small grooves in the outer seal for drainage and that problem was solved. Anyway, I suspect the door...not the sunroof.

p.s. forgot to ask - is this from or back seat? If the front was it closer to the firewall or further back...if closer to the firewall, things farther up (like windshield or where wires go through the firewall into the passenger compartment) can also be sources of leaks.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I had a sunroof leak. Drain got disconnected somehow. Sucked but the dealer did a really good job cleaning the carpets and drying everything out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts