SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2016 XC90 has started to leak out of the rear cassette of the sunroof. It's a known issue addressed in TJ 31272: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/SB-10087102-5448.pdf

I'm at 51k miles, so it's not covered under the factory warranty and the dealer claims the seals and weather stripping aren't covered under the CPO either.

Is there a complete list of exclusions for a 2018 or later CPO? I'm having trouble finding what coverage I actually bought.

I'm pretty disappointed that a known issue that would have been repaired under factory is not covered under CPO.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Check with CPO warranty manual and Volvo custom support?

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts
CPO is an exclusionary warranty, which is good. However, seals are listed as not covered. There should be a link to the fine print for the warranty in your paperwork. Here is the exclusion list that I have available to myself for my customers:

Under Platinum Coverage [VOLVO CPO] any of the following parts: brake linings, brake drums and rotors, disc brake pads, standard manual transmission clutch friction disc, pressure plate, pilot bearing, throw-out bearing and arm, air bags, solar powered devices, glass, lenses, sealed beams, body parts and/or panels, weather stripping, trim, moldings, lock cylinders, tires, wheels, all batteries except hybrid/ev/hydrogen high voltage batteries as listed under gold, light bulbs, upholstery, paint, bright metal, freeze plugs, filters, heater and radiator hoses, exhaust system, catalytic converter, shock absorbers, work such as front-end alignment or wheel balancing (except when required in conjunction with a mechanical breakdown), safety restraint systems, audio/security or other systems not factory installed, or vinyl and convertible tops.

·
Registered
413 Posts
My 2016 XC90 has started to leak out of the rear cassette of the sunroof. It's a known issue addressed in TJ 31272: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/SB-10087102-5448.pdf

I'm at 51k miles, so it's not covered under the factory warranty and the dealer claims the seals and weather stripping aren't covered under the CPO either.

Is there a complete list of exclusions for a 2018 or later CPO? I'm having trouble finding what coverage I actually bought.

I'm pretty disappointed that a known issue that would have been repaired under factory is not covered under CPO.

Thanks for the advice.
There's no expiry on a TJ is there? So it does't really matter whether it's covered under the factory warranty or the CPO warranty, because under the TJ the dealer should do the work (as instructed to do by the manufacturer).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all for your input. I would think the manufacturer would be admitting some amount of design/quality fault on a TJ.

In this case a 2016 TJ is covering a 2016 vehicle for the faulty weather striping.

I guess I'm taking it in the pants on this one.

In this case, customer service has sent me a 30% rebate for the repair. I don't think it's enough, but don't know if I'll push the issue.

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts
TJ isn't admitting fault, it's saying for a given failure they've identified the fix to avoid replacing parts for customers unnecessarily. If a tech didn't know what seal was the cause in most cause they'd probably end up replacing several more trying to "diag" it. TJ's are not warranty extensions. Complaining because they efficiently have resolutions is a bit silly as the alternative is to make you pay for a lot more hoping to guess right each time. Service manuals have always listed conditions with probable solutions in order to keep the cost of repair lower since service manuals were first used. Weather seals are exposed to all sorts of environmental conditions and that's one reason they aren't generally covered under warranties.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Assuming you have been good about having the car serviced on a regular basis, I would ask Volvo to see if they can good will the repair. While you are at 51,000 miles what about the in service date of your car? How long has it been out of warranty time wise? I agree with what was stated above that a TJ is not an extension of the warranty. You would do well to be as nice as you can be when dealing with Volvo, especially when you are asking them to fix something that is not covered. If you start blaming them then that is kicking a gift horse in the butt!

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
I should start charging people for advice.......Sheesh....Modify the letter as you see fit.

Just so tech doesn't hate me, he can have half the profits.....;)

Primary Contact
Bill Casey
Operations Manager, Customer Care Center
[email protected]
[email protected]

Secondary Contact
Scott Doering
Vice President, Customer Service
[email protected]

Email both Mr. Casey's Emails. Send the same email to Mr Doering, but change salutations.

Dear Mr. Casey (Doering),

I am the owner of a 2016 XC90 that I purchased from X dealer on X date. The car is at 51,000 miles, a mere 1,000 outside of warranty. It has always been serviced at X Dealer for the life of the car. Recently, I developed the problem described in TJ 31272: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...87102-5448.pdf where my XC90 has started to leak out of the rear cassette of the sunroof. I am hoping due to the recent expiration of my Volvo Warranty and the fact my vehicle has been serviced by X Volvo Dealer, that Volvo could offer goodwill in getting this issue resolved.

Regards

Your Name
Phone Number

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
This thread is 10 months old...

And I don't help people here for fame and fortune. You clearly like the attention since you boast about it so much.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
This thread is 10 months old...

And I don't help people here for fame and fortune. You clearly like the attention since you boast about it so much.
Yikes...didn't notice this was a thread dug from the grave. Why the heck do people find year old thread and ask so what happened? Clearly op didn't care enough to share so to revive is asinine.

My comment was facetious in nature.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Assuming you have been good about having the car serviced on a regular basis, I would ask Volvo to see if they can good will the repair. While you are at 51,000 miles what about the in service date of your car? How long has it been out of warranty time wise? I agree with what was stated above that a TJ is not an extension of the warranty. You would do well to be as nice as you can be when dealing with Volvo, especially when you are asking them to fix something that is not covered. If you start blaming them then that is kicking a gift horse in the butt!
Right. My 16 xc90 8 months out of factory warranty leaked in the front due to drain tube connector clogged, A/C and electronics were not working properly. I have VIP extended warranty but it doesn't cover water leak damages. Dealer quoted 1.3k labor just for diagnosis. I contacted Volvo customer care and Volvo covered it except I needed to pay my extended warranty deductible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m out of warranty and need to get this TJ31272 done, any idea what the cost at the dealership Is? Or is it something I can tackle on my own?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts