SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since the start of the new year really, we've had an ongoing leak saga with our 2008 V8.

Around the beginning of February our indy mechanic diagnosed a leaking rear main seal - he put the dye in the oil and everything.

We have a very limited "drivetrain only" warranty we purchased when we bought the car used last year. The engine seals were actually covered by the warranty. Because of the large cost associated with replacing the rear seal, the warranty company sent out an inspector to verify (which costs us a couple of weeks and scheduling nightmares as the guy kept showing up at the mechanic early when my car wasn't there, etc).

Once the warranty company approved the job, they would only pay a certain amount of hours, about 5 less than my mechanic was willing to do the job in. After another couple of weeks of finding time to deal with all of this, I eventually figured out that ironically, the dealerships in the area actually would do the job in the allotted time (albeit at their higher labor rates).

After more delay waiting for the dealership where we bought the car to have an opening, today I finally got the car there to start the diagnosis process again and deal with the warranty. It seemed at this point to be a done deal - the dealership is very familiar with the warranty company (they sold it to us after all), and the problem had already been diagnosed and verified previously. This morning was just supposed to be the dealership doing their own verification and setting up the claim for their hourly rate with the warranty company (and adding on any additional leaks they had found as at one point a front seal was mentioned as well).

Well about an hour ago I got the call back and turns out they are 100% sure there is no engine oil leaking from anywhere, and it's all coming from a failed and leaky power steering pump!

So I'm probably butchering this description, but basically the PS pump sits in between the cylinder heads and if it starts leaking, the majority of the fluid is going to fall down along the back of the engine and drip down right by the main seal in the rear. This is something common they have seen and they even cleaned up the area and watched it happen apparently. I guess the service adviser even talked to the warranty company about the whole situation, how their inspector had seen the rear seal leak, etc.

The crazy thing is, the inspector was signing off on a major job that would cost them a few thousand dollars, when in fact the actual faulty part ISN'T covered by the PT warranty!

So that brings us up to where I sit now. No warranty coverage and a quote of $1,700+ to replace the PS pump on one of these wonderful V8's... Is nothing easily accessible on these engines?????

I politely declined them doing the job and he was nice enough to not charge me anything for the labor, plus I get to keep their nice S60 loaner for the night.

My indy has already quoted me $1,200 for the job, after a long talk about how he misdiagnosed this and everything else. Misdiagnosis aside, I trust him to do a good job given a straightforward task. But $1,200 is still a lot of money for us.

Basically looking to make sure this all sounds legit and if there is any more room to shave some off that sticker price. With the bulk of the estimate being labor, I'm guessing this job is far beyond my very limited driveway mechanic abilities, so just throwing that out there too.

The takeaway for everyone from this is to be careful diagnosing leaks back there at the rear of the engine. This dealership has seen this a lot on these cars, and he had even warned me about it on the phone when I scheduled the appt (but then I told him about my mechanic using the dye, the inspector signing off, etc).

Beyond the money woes of this now being out of pocket instead of warranty, we also wasted a ton of time on this wrong diagnosis. If we had known way back at the beginning of February that it was just the PS Pump, we would have had these estimates back then, never bothered with all the hoops with the warranty company (probably would have called them to check, but they immediately would have said it wasn't covered), and instead of wasting two months of running around and stress, figured out how to have the work done.

So hopefully this post can help someone else out with a similar situation in the future. And like I said, any suggestions on how best to proceed from here (including any additional "preventative maintenance" type things to do while the PS pump is being replaced) are appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Get a used PS pump from Erie VoVo and save some $$. Or check out Rockauto and see what their prices are. With a higher mileage car, I'm never gung ho about spending extra for OEM parts when aftermarket or Erie VoVo will lifetime warranty many parts.

The PS pump is a real pain because the intake manifold has to come of. They really crammed the V8 in a small space so some things are just a pain.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Anyone tried Lucas Stop Leak in one of these? It's pretty highly rated stuff, and word on the bmw and Audi forums is that it is compatible with Pentosin synthetic fluid.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Power steering pump and system is one of the most overlooked systems. Just had mine flushed and re-filled with new Volvo Pentosin hydraulic oil.

The manual just says check/inspect, but I did a complete replace at 111k just to avoid the leaks and failure. There seems to be a lot of items in
the book that should be there, but are missing.

Oh and the idea of lifetime fluids is just bunk. Pentosin Hydraulic oil is great stuff and work well in the cold but doesn't last a lifetime.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts