SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a leaky power steering reservoir cap. It started after a service at the dealer and the next time I took it back, they said it was overfilled and should be fine from now on. Except it hasn't been. I've wiped it off and the next day, there's fresh fluid all over it. It's even gotten onto my serpentine belt, and right after starting up the car, till it gets warm, it chirps and slips.<p>I know the 04 reservoir is rife with problems. Has this happened to anyone before?

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Re: Leaking Power Steering Cap (djkronik57)

You and many others, myself included (I'm on my 2nd one). It's a PITA. My tech said even new ones are problematic, doesn't matter what year you have, they all leak and he fixes them all.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Re: Leaking Power Steering Cap (S60R1)

Mine is leaking now all of a sudden, it needs topped off every two or three days. Was there any resolution? How do I fix this? Find an extra gasket to throw on?<p>Thanks in advance..<p>dlg

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I have this problem too.......about to get it replaced, but if it keeps happening, a secondary gasket would probably remedy the issue.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: (juve021)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>juve021</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I believe there was a TNN about this. Something to do with one of the screw clamps and hoses coming off of the ps reservoir?</TD></TR></TABLE><p>The lower screw clamp was an issue. Had mine replaced after it started leaking from the bottom of the reservoir.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Re: (Denis)

I took off the hose to the pump and the reservoir and everything looks fine (no cracks, everything is tight, etc). I put it back together and wrapped and taped clean paper towels tightly around the p/s cap. Hopefully this will soak up leaking fluid and prove where my leak is.<p>So is there a better cap available? I'm not sure why this would be, but the mouth of the reservoir has threads on the outside like the mouth of any ordinary bottle, however, the cap has nothing that screws onto these threads. Why? The two metal tabs hold the cap in place by screwing into the inner lip on the reservoir's mouth, but this obviously isn't holding tight enough. I don't understand how any professional engineer could fail at such a simple design. Who does supplies Volvo with these parts, Fisher Price??<p>I want an ordinary screw cap. Anything generic would work. I don't need a dipstick to tell me if I've filled the reservoir properly. Anyone know where I can get one?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Have this problem also Mine doesn't leak from bottom it comes from top..... A secondary gasket would be good maybe some plumbers tape, you know the white tape they put around the threads of pipe.

·
Registered
55 Posts
just fixed this on my car. there is a plasic fitting in the resovoir that breaks off and falls to the bottom. and with that piece broken it causes the fluid from the top return hose to shoot rite at the cap causing a leak. the resevoir is like $60 from the dealer and it comes with a new cap

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (crimnlmnded)

Just dropped off my car to get this fixed. Interesting to know that there's a reason that's linked to the reservoir itself. I'll see what the dealership says when they call me back. If they don't find it I'll try asking for a new reservoir and explain it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Re: (djkronik57)

I think my leak might be somewhere else now. The whining returned so I know the fluid was low again. I checked my paper towels wrapped around the cap and they were dry. I can't tell where it is leaking from now.<p>I saw some power steering leak finder stuff (dyed so it glows under UV), I might try that, although I'll have to call up the old college roommate to borrow a blacklight, hahaha!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Re: (Geisler14)

I had this fixed on MY 04 VR about 3 months ago. Told the service advisor that the power steering was leaking, and I had seen a TNN about it. <br>TNN64-17-2004-04-13 Title: Power steering fluid leak at reservoir <br>Under certain conditions the power steering system may leak fluid at the reservoir suction hose connection. An improved reservoir was introduced later in production <br>They replaced the whole resevoir and two hoses. CPO, so no charge. No leak since.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (Adam12)

Yup, they replaced the entire power steering reservoir and my "fluid soaked belt."

·
Registered
55 Posts
yup. what happens is there is a plastic elbow on the return hose side in the resevoir that brakes off. and causes the power steering to whine and leak around the cap. its a cheap fix. but drives you nuts

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I just blew my pump at 50k miles. Had a new pump installed, system completely flushed. When I executed a left turn at speed, the pump whined something firece. This also used to happen on the old pump. You think its related to this or not? Fluid level should be fine. when i say I just had it replaced, I mean, as in TODAY. <p>I should add this doesnt happen in a right turn....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts