SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings

I have a 2008 XC with a 2.5T.

I have an oil leak which seems to be coming from the top or side of the block. The angle gear is oily, the rear half of the transmission is too. This area of the engine was smudged with oil (pic was taken after cleaning). The area that was oily is marked in red

qwulK4P.jpg

I need help to pinpoint the source of the leak. Any ideas what could be causing the leak at this area of the engine?

The top hose to the turbo is fine. It has recently been replaced.

Thanks!

Aslan
08 XC90 2.5T

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Yes, although it looks like this car is single VVT. Pull the sensor cap from the exhaust cam, see it it's leaking from there.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found the source of the leak. It's coming from the camshaft position sensor.

https://i.imgur.com/BYKxCZm.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/pqKNNcF.jpg

(I tried to insert an image but the file was too big)

I'm getting conflicting info on the web, not sure if it's a matter of terminology, but some are saying a cam locking tool is needed to tackle this. I think the camshaft position sensor is fine and I've checked with VIDA and I do not have any related DTCs.

I haven't taken off the housing and wish to get advice first as I do not have a clue what it looks like underneath.

Is there a seal there? And is it as simple as unbolting the cap and replacing the seal? Any precautions that need to be taken?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
It looks exactly as in your post, remove the sensor cover and you'll see...

Lots of replacement threads around, pop the cover, pull the old seal, put a new one (PN 9443310) in. No need to lock anything down if that's all you're doing. Cam locking tool is required to do the front since the VVT hub needs to come off, and it's why the seal job is sometimes combined with the timing belt.

PCV always worked okay on this car?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks very much ggleavitt. Regarding the PCV the car has 130k miles on it and the glove test was ok. Should I ignore the glove test and do the PCV anyway with the appearance of this leak?

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Someone who does the seals with some frequency will have better advice, I replaced my entire PCV at 110k miles and still had a front seal fail at 140k miles (worn exhaust VVT hub, too much in/out play), there's a post on that somewhere in the forum.

PCV needs serviced at some point regardless and, while the glove test has been the easy way to demonstrate overall system functionality, it does not address system performance. Still, having suction at the oil cap is better than not having it.

Easy enough to replace the seal and clean everything up, see if the leak comes back. Intake and exhaust are the same part (Volvo 9443310, Corteco 12001192B, SFK 11809, whole bunch more) so you could do them both at the same time easily enough.

This car is in Maylasia, right? Just want to put the environmental impact on this car in perspective, think you've reported a couple heat and/or humidity related items over the years.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This car is in Maylasia, right? Just want to put the environmental impact on this car in perspective, think you've reported a couple heat and/or humidity related items over the years.
Yes. It's hot and humid here.

Replaced the seal. It was leaking there. I had the timing belt cover and off and it was scary seeing the exhaust cam move as I was trying to get the bolt off.

N9r426Pl.jpg

Haven't tested the car yet, still putting all the stuff back together. Hopefully all will be ok as this was first time replacing a seal on any car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts